Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:37 pm

xander wrote:Then were you referring to this? Or what?

I was referring to the whole bit after, not just a specific point, as well as the execution.

The final moments do a really good job as marking the movie as the end of the series by concluding the dangling plotlines while setting up what's next for the setting and characters, as well as going through a large range of emotions in a way that feels organic.

Try as you might you can't reduce it to a single trope, because there are multiple at play here.

Like I said, it might be considered predictable if you paid attention, and I'm not even claiming it to be hugely original. It was, however, a really good way to end the series.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:44 pm

I just want a Robin movie starring Joseph Goron-Levitt, dammit.

Thought it was an alright movie, I felt that the pacing was a bit weird at points and was left a bit confused by the decision to spend a good chunk of the movie making a thinly veiled assault on the Bolshevik revolution. . . .
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:26 pm

Yeah, the movie had an occasionally uncomfortable right-wing bias going on.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Xocrates wrote:
xander wrote:Then were you referring to this? Or what?

I was referring to the whole bit after, not just a specific point, as well as the execution.

The final moments do a really good job as marking the movie as the end of the series by concluding the dangling plotlines while setting up what's next for the setting and characters, as well as going through a large range of emotions in a way that feels organic.

Try as you might you can't reduce it to a single trope, because there are multiple at play here.

Like I said, it might be considered predictable if you paid attention, and I'm not even claiming it to be hugely original. It was, however, a really good way to end the series.

The whole setting up what's next feels kind of silly considering they're going to reboot it. But it was an acceptable end.
What did bug was some of the smaller mistakes. Like the moment when they break in to the stock exchange during the middle of the day and suddenly during the chase scene it's the middle of the night. You'd think a big block buster could hire a decent continuity girl/guy.
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 pm

zjoere wrote:The whole setting up what's next feels kind of silly considering they're going to reboot it.

Which is why I felt it works. It shows the world doesn't stop just because there isn't a camera looking at it.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:09 am

I enjoyed all three, though I felt Bane's ending was flopped. I didn't think Bane would be a decent villain, but I liked the way he was portrayed (mostly).

Next up: Man of Steel (please don't be Brandon Routh 2.0)

In other news. came across a TED talk that used Defcon images. :shock:

Marc Goodman: A vision of crimes in the future (17:51)
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:13 am

Xocrates wrote:Yeah, the movie had an occasionally uncomfortable right-wing bias going on.

Yeah he did that already with the dark knight and the whole "it's ok to tap everyone's mobile phone to stop a terrorist attack" and the portrayal of illegally kidnapping foreigners from their home country as cool.

And yet Nolan claims not to make political movies
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:21 pm

zjoere wrote:
Xocrates wrote:Yeah, the movie had an occasionally uncomfortable right-wing bias going on.

Yeah he did that already with the dark knight and the whole "it's ok to tap everyone's mobile phone to stop a terrorist attack" and the portrayal of illegally kidnapping foreigners from their home country as cool.

And yet Nolan claims not to make political movies

It's about introducing people to a new reality :). A happy new reality full of happy shiny people! R.E.M.!!!
Cuz fuck logic
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:41 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/ ... in-common/
Add to that the new Rainbow Six game.

The occupy movement, anonymous and Julian Asange. We're getting a resurgence of "The Western Terrorist" in games and movies. Except this time, the western terrorist is not a 'turncoat' or a white supremacist or PETA member, but from the Occupy movement or other movements which signal a challenge to long assumed hierachies and distributions of power and money.

With regards to Black Ops II and the new Rainbow Six, this is just lazy military shooter writing. They need a baddie that seems vaguely plausible and references current events. The baddie is necessarily violent (explosives strapped to bankers) because the games are necessarily violent.

What stands out about this, though, is that these mil. shooters usually go for a clear 'Other' in which to invest fear to drive the narrative. Ruskies, Arabs, Koreans; all these do the job of being a feared unknown Other. What seems surprising is that there is enough mileage in founding fear in the Occupy movement. I think all it may prove is that change remains a source of fear (especially if said change is revolutionary, even if that revolution may be beneficial) that can easily be tapped.

This is all very separate from the themes of surveillance that ran through TDK. Watching that film makes me realise that Nolan's assertion that he's 'not political' is simply the assertion of someone who is (everyone is) but whose politics are so un-thought-through as to default to "small c" conservitism. Batman's use of mass surveillance couldn't have been more wasted as a point of critique (note: critique not criticism) for surveillance as a response to terrorism.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 pm

The original is one of my all time favorite movies. I don't think this one will be as good, but I'm totally seeing it when it comes out.

Red Dawn 2012 Trailer
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:52 am

I'm back from my summer classes.
My room looked so crowded compared to the barren dorm I had. I missed the fam and the dogs. I missed my girlfriend, who I got to see a few hours after I landed. Depressing to think she's really leaving next week. College is starting soon for me too... a few weeks left. Two, I think.

I took two American History classes.
Before and After 1865. They're basics and I figured I should get them out of the way. I passed one with a B and flunked the other one. I'm not too sure how that was possible. I believe I studied a BIT more for the before 1865 class, but other than that, I have no idea why there's even a difference. The thought of college scared me after taking these classes, but my advisers assured me that the ones I'm taking in the fall will be easier, since the assignments and studying will be spread out and not condensed into a 5 week course.

I missed being on the internet for fun. College seems a little bleak now, with all the work... don't even like the college I'm going to... commuting from home.... yeah :?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:16 am

First day of law school homework! Learning about the types remedies to civil contract breaches and the role of civil procedure rules in civil actions.

Fun!
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:30 am

Whats the word that describes someone who doesn't listen to music at all? It's killing me. Ends with -ian, I think
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:40 pm

GreenRock wrote:Whats the word that describes someone who doesn't listen to music at all? It's killing me. Ends with -ian, I think

Philistine? Uncultured barbarian? Deaf?

xander
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:10 pm

xander wrote:
GreenRock wrote:Whats the word that describes someone who doesn't listen to music at all? It's killing me. Ends with -ian, I think

Philistine? Uncultured barbarian? Deaf?

xander

the second one :D

Return to “Introversion Lounge”