Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Agreed.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:20 am

Cooper42 wrote:The US and UK systems - beyond what the judiciary would like to think - are about the worst possible places to encourage rehabilitation

That depends on which court we're talking about.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:24 am

Feud wrote:If it's to hold him until he's "rehabilitated", however that would be determined, why have a minimum at all?

Deterrence. Where there not a minimum and crimes of passion would essentially be legal.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:41 am

Xocrates wrote:
Feud wrote:If it's to hold him until he's "rehabilitated", however that would be determined, why have a minimum at all?

Deterrence. Where there not a minimum and crimes of passion would essentially be legal.

If that's the case, then a person's disincentive per crime is reduced the larger and more heinous that crime is. A murdering one person in Norway means that for that life you might serve 21 years. If you kill two, you only have a deterrence of 10 1/2 years each. Three, it's only seven.

If we are to assume that the criminal is sane, as is the case here where they are sent to prison rather than a mental health facility, and where "rehabilitation" can get them out after a set amount of time regardless of the scale of their activity, doesn't that give an incentive to make the crime as general and wide spread as possible out the outset?

It turns criminal justice into a buffet table: pay a set amount and have your fill, whether it's one plate or ten.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 am

This assumes it is normal to receive the maximum sentence for the murder of a single person.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:42 am

Or that people are likely to think "well, I was going to kill this person who I hate, but considering the ratio of years in prison vs. bodycount I should probably kill everyone I meet en route too, it makes mathematical sense!"
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:28 pm

Neil Armstrong died :(
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:51 pm

zjoere wrote:Neil Armstrong died :(

*salutes*
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:14 am

Xarlaxas wrote:Or that people are likely to think "well, I was going to kill this person who I hate, but considering the ratio of years in prison vs. bodycount I should probably kill everyone I meet en route too, it makes mathematical sense!"

Perhaps unlikely, but given that the current system allows (even if just in a technical sense) that the guy who detonated a car bomb downtown and then methodically murdered 70 children might leave prison in twenty years because he realized that what he did was a bad thing, I'm not sold on it.

As for Neil Armstrong, sleep well good sir. I wish that your funeral were attended by the first man to walk on Mars, hopefully we'll do your legacy justice.

Finally, just got around to seeing the new Batman. Good, the French Revolution in America aspect was really interesting. but, I liked the Dark Knight and Batman Begins more.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:35 am

Aye, I see where you're coming from, but I don't think that the "better to be hanged for a sheep than a lamb" mentality isn't usually a factor when it comes to mass murder. You've either got cold-hearted terrorists like Breivik, or nut-cases who've snapped and probably want to die on the scene, both of whom don't really care about the prison aspect afterwards.

The number of people on Twitter asking who Neil Armstrong is at the moment. . . .

Dark Knight Rises was alright, I thought that it was less French Revolution and more Bolshevik coup (from my reading of the events of the latter, and my lack of reading about the former), which riled me a bit as Nolan is just continuing to out himself as a right-wing nut. :P

Now, I'd watch the hell out of a super-hero movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt however. . . .
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:42 am

Xarlaxas wrote:Now, I'd watch the hell out of a super-hero movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt however. . . .

I second that notion.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Storming the prison was a bit french revolution like (they still have the storming of the prison the bastille as their national holiday).
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 am

I saw the expendables 2 yesterday. It was very cheesy and completely over the top. In other words it's exactly what you would expect. I liked it better than the first one. Also Van Damme was awesome!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:24 pm

zjoere wrote:I saw the expendables 2 yesterday. It was very cheesy and completely over the top. In other words it's exactly what you would expect. I liked it better than the first one. Also Van Damme was awesome!

I wouldn't call him awesome. :P

I completely expected him (to go along with the rest of the cheese) to do his 'signature' move (he didn't).

Also, best cheesy line of the movie goes to "After five days of agonizing pain, it died."
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
zjoere wrote:I saw the expendables 2 yesterday. It was very cheesy and completely over the top. In other words it's exactly what you would expect. I liked it better than the first one. Also Van Damme was awesome!

I wouldn't call him awesome. :P

I completely expected him (to go along with the rest of the cheese) to do his 'signature' move (he didn't).

Also, best cheesy line of the movie goes to "After five days of agonizing pain, it died."

He did the karate kick thingy, what else do you consider his 'signature' move? I might be a bit biased about his awesomness considering he is a compatriot.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”