Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Jackdapantyrip
level4
level4

Re: Let's go.........RANDOM!

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:56 am

Snitch Cull mufuckas! One of the gangsteras things ever coded.

Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:18 pm

NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:11 pm

It's actually kinda cool! Do you want some feedback?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:08 pm

NeatNit wrote:Do you want some feedback?

Well, obviously, kind of hard to improve without it ;)

Glad you liked it btw.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Xocrates wrote:
NeatNit wrote:Do you want some feedback?

Well, obviously, kind of hard to improve without it ;)

Glad you liked it btw.

I used to assume everyone wants feedback, but recently came across a case where my feedback was completely ignored whereas questions I had were answered pretty fast, so I concluded that the guy doesn't want feedback. So I've decided to ask before starting :D

The main thing I think needs to be addressed is that the background LOOKS like it provides some collision, but actually doesn't. This tricked me into thinking the game was easier than it actually was (since the hole is small, it's less likely that unintended bubbles would get in), and is generally bad practice. I've been watching a lot of AVGN lately and one of the most common tropes in the games he reviews (mainly in the platformers) is the inability to tell background apart from the floor/walls/ceiling, it's just bad game design.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Hmm... that's an interesting point to raise, and curiously you're probably the first person to either notice it or been bothered by it. :P

That said, I do not think it's as big a problem as you make it sound. Yes, that is absolutely terrible in stuff like platformers and adventure games, because it's recurring within the game, meaning you can never know which is which until you try all of them. In this case you just need to try it once and you'll know the correct answer.
The game does give you some indication it's on the background though, since it's behind the coloured sequence and the chain you're building, as well as less saturated.

Additionally, we do need to direct the player towards the slot, which means making the ribossome (i.e. the green thing) look more like it's in the background could make people think they had to carry the bubble to the corresponding rectangle on the bottom, regardless of position (this happened a LOT in the early prototypes before we had art)

I dunno, it's a fair enough point, but honestly I do not think it would rank on the top problems the game does have :/

I'll definitely keep an eye on it though.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:14 pm

Well, it's the first/main thing I noticed. Relatedly, the bubbles go through all but the middle rectangle, which is also unintuitive and 'doesn't feel right'. The rectangles are at the bottom, so you'd expect your attention to have to be near the middle/top of the screen - having bubbles possibly coming from the bottom of the screen feels unfair. This is amplified since the background also makes it appear as if the thing only works top to bottom.

Edit: and this screen - do I need to say it?

Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:36 pm

NeatNit wrote:the bubbles go through all but the middle rectangle, which is also unintuitive and 'doesn't feel right'. The rectangles are at the bottom, so you'd expect your attention to have to be near the middle/top of the screen - having bubbles possibly coming from the bottom of the screen feels unfair.

I honestly don't know what you mean :P

Bubbles don't spawn at the bottom, and even though they can drift there they can't start moving upwards by themselves so they can't "come from the bottom of the screen". Additionally, at least in my devices, all the rectangles have the same behaviour regarding the bubbles (they can float over them) and they most certainly don't interact - at most what you may be seeing is that the bottom of the collision area for the slot overlaps with the top on the large rectangle and you're seeing this as the rectangle "capturing" the bubble.

NeatNit wrote:Edit: and this screen - do I need to say it?

Bah! I was hoping I had that high enough by now :/

As you can imagine, the problem there is that every device has its own keyboard size and area. While I can try and see if I can detect the keyboard size and adjust from there, reading the documentation suggests Unity will always return size 0 on android, so... fun times :P

I'll try to look into it.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:34 am

Xocrates wrote:
NeatNit wrote:Edit: and this screen - do I need to say it?

Bah! I was hoping I had that high enough by now :/

As you can imagine, the problem there is that every device has its own keyboard size and area. While I can try and see if I can detect the keyboard size and adjust from there, reading the documentation suggests Unity will always return size 0 on android, so... fun times :P

I'll try to look into it.

It's high enough, but do you really need that ugly out-of-place text input box there when you have the text being shown right behind it in the proper style?

Regarding the other thing - I have no idea what I was saying either :S

I wrote that post off of memory instead of playing right before/during, so you can pretty much ignore it.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:30 am

NeatNit wrote:[do you really need that ugly out-of-place text input box there when you have the text being shown right behind it in the proper style?

What do you mean? The box follows the same style guide as the rest of the game :P

And there was a time with no input box, but it became evidently clear we needed one since we needed a way for the player to input his name that was always visible.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Xocrates wrote:
NeatNit wrote:[do you really need that ugly out-of-place text input box there when you have the text being shown right behind it in the proper style?

What do you mean? The box follows the same style guide as the rest of the game :P

And there was a time with no input box, but it became evidently clear we needed one since we needed a way for the player to input his name that was always visible.

What do you mean always visible? Is that the same problem as the keyboard thing? So, theoretically, if you good the keyboard hiding the nice box, you wouldn't need the ugly box there?

How did you make the ugly box reliably above the keyboard?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:17 pm

NeatNit wrote:What do you mean always visible? Is that the same problem as the keyboard thing?

Essentially yes.

Initially you just typed directly in highscore table. Problem is that the text box that appears above the keyboard on android isn't there in iOS and Windows Phone, meaning that if you scored bellow 4 or 5 you couldn't see the text you were inputting, which meant we needed an alternate way, hence the "ugly" text box.

NeatNit wrote:So, theoretically, if you good the keyboard hiding the nice box, you wouldn't need the ugly box there?

I honestly cannot parse this :P

NeatNit wrote:How did you make the ugly box reliably above the keyboard?

I didn't. I just placed the box somewhere where the keyboard wouldn't hide it in principle.

EDIT: Wait, which text box are you complaining about? I think I may have them mixed up.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Xocrates wrote:EDIT: Wait, which text box are you complaining about? I think I may have them mixed up.

I'm talking about the white one with the gray OK button next to it.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Yeah, I had them mixed up :P

That one is part of the keyboard so it never bothered me much. I do believe it's possible for me to turn it off though. I will certainly look into that.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:44 am

Part of the keyboard? I doubt it. No high-profile apps I've ever used had that box - just some games that are usually badly built.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”