Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Re: Let's go.........RANDOM!

Postby NeatNit » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:19 pm

This truly is a horrible situation... But I never think the shooter is entirely at fault. It's very likely that everyone else never treated him very well.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:03 am

I read about the teacher in the newspaper. Words can't express the admiration I have for that man's courage - and I'm generally not one for using such buzzwords.

Colytic
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:28 am

Any germans in this thread ? Tell me, do you / your familiars joke about Holocaust, or it is still a rope in a house of hanged ?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:01 am

Now, as grownups, never. A good and tasteful casual joke about it may exist, but I expect to see a space elevator before I hear it.
As wee lads, yes. Back when we hardly even knew what a Jew is.

Jokes about Hitler and Nazis in general are OK, of course. That Downfall meme? Hilarious (the first two times, as memes go). And humorous material related to the Holocaust in particular may already exist. I have not personally seen any of it for no particular reason, but Train of Life and Life is Beautiful come to mind. Yeah, common theme there.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:07 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Life is Beautiful

Wonderful film, that one. So happy yet curiously sad.

And I still dearly love the Downfall meme, I find it gets funnier with each new idea/scene.

Colytic
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Colytic wrote:I still dearly love the Downfall meme, I find it gets funnier with each new idea/scene.

+1
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:35 pm

So this may be a strange request, but I am trying to get ahold of a paper in the Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society. I can't get access to the full text through my university, but it looks like most British institutions have free access. I know that a lot of people on this board are British, and that the age distribution is such that many of you might also be students. If someone could get me the full text as a PDF, I would really appreciate it---shoot me a PM, please.

Thanks much,
xander

EDIT: Yay! Thank you Jelco!
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:21 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:It's probably using a system function 60 times per second to wait for your GPU to finish drawing/swapping buffers. You have an NVidia card, right? It's their fault, the system function hangs inside their driver. The game developer's choice is between 100% CPU usage and tolerating completely uncontrollable amounts of mouse lag.

bert_the_turtle wrote:
WarnerCK wrote:...and yet every other developer somehow manages to not use 100% CPU and still has responsive mouse input?
Played Dead Space? What Uplink does is the only way to guarantee minimal input lag. All other methods give one or two extra frames for the average user, not a big deal, but noticeable; what's worse is they will give ten or twenty or even sixty or more to some people. And simple graphics make more problems than complex graphics.

WarnerCK wrote:Christ, the game's 12 years old.
And your graphics driver is half a year old. The game was developed (at least in this point) respecting the best practices of the time, if that causes trouble now, it's the driver's fault. Plain and simple.

What's going on there? I didn't know nvidia had any sort of major issue like that...
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:00 pm

It is only a problem for those who care about the things it affects: input lag resp. system load. And I am not sure only NVidia cards are problematic. It's just what I have been using and developing with, so it is what I know.
There are ways to combat the 100% CPU load, but they are tricky to get right.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:22 am

So I just found out that the American JYA student with whom I spent the whole of my first semester out drinking basically every night (barely even an exaggeration) - and then lost contact with entirely, has made a name for himself as a bit of a conservative. Kinda bizarre and I feel a little creeped out. Also kind of impressed, given the amount of drinking, partying and general slacking he was involved in.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:37 am

I know a good holocaust joke, though I guess it cannot really be translated, here it goes anyway.

What is a jew in a rowing boat in the middle of the atlantic ocean? Not nearly eradicated/uitgeroeid (Dutch word for 'done rowing' and eradicated are same). Haha!!!!

DISCLAIMER: I am very sympathetic towards the Nazis and all there components, I strongly belief the holocaust never happened so it's alright to joke about this leftist fairy-tale.

Jew humor is fun too btw, very morbid.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Jordy... wrote:I strongly belief the holocaust never happened

You're a retard.
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:29 pm

NeatNit wrote:

You're a retard.

+1
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:36 pm

NeatNit wrote:

You're a retard.

I think he was kidding but one never knows with Jordy.

Colytic
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Colytic wrote:
NeatNit wrote:

You're a retard.

I think he was kidding but one never knows with Jordy.

Colytic

I know that it's a possibility, and I took it into consideration. My response is accurate either way.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”