Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 am

NeatNit wrote:

This is insane.

Good thing I'm not taking part!

(:()

And I thought shooting basketballs/ balancing on bridges was hard.
MeatNit
level1
level1

Postby MeatNit » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:21 am

GreenRock wrote:
NeatNit wrote:

This is insane.

Good thing I'm not taking part!

(:()

And I thought shooting basketballs/ balancing on bridges was hard.
On the programming side (what I mostly do) the only part I find extremely challenging (i.e. I haven't done it before and I wouldn't know how to approach it) is the vision target on the pyramid. This is most likely useless anyway, since from what I understand (haven't read the rules very thoroughly :P) the human player would be the smartest choice for shooting it.

The team I used to be in has an extremely awesome person who is also obsessed with Frisbees. So that won't be a problem for them :)

But yeah, this year seems to be an extreme challenge for construction.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:40 pm

I find it a bit shocking that so many french people protested against gay marriage. Apparently for them you can only get liberté and égalité if you don't take the fraternité too far.
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Asraelite
level1
level1

Postby Asraelite » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 pm

zjoere wrote:I find it a bit shocking that so many french people protested against gay marriage. Apparently for them you can only get liberté and égalité if you don't take the fraternité too far.

LOL
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:10 am

I was surprised as well, I figured France was more liberal than that.
Last edited by Feud on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:36 am

This was the first time I've heard this happened :P

Anyway, reading it up, no I'm not surprised in the least. Catholicism is still pretty big in Europe, and Gay acceptance is still a fairly recent thing.

France is big enough that it wouldn't be hard to get enough people to make noise, but I doubt they would manage to actually change anything.

Furthermore, France already allows for gay civil union, making this more a religious matter than a civil one. Not to mention that, if I got it right, the new law would allow for gay adoption, which is another can of worms.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm

jelco wrote:Thank you for that insightful and meaningful addition to the discussion.

But yes zjoere, it was rather strange. You'd say this is the modern age and everything, but no...

Jelco

I find it best to ignore and ridicule that sort of people instead of engaging them in a discussion. But I'll admit that the joke wasn't very original or good.
There was a funny guy at the protest who claimed he didn't have anything against gay people he just didn't want them to get married :lol:. It's a bit like saying: " I don't have anything against women, I just don't think they should be allowed to vote." :lol:

Xocrates wrote:Not to mention that, if I got it right, the new law would allow for gay adoption, which is another can of worms.

I think it allows both marriage and adoptation. It isn't a can of worms, it's something open-minded people should be able to agree on.
MeatNit
level1
level1

Postby MeatNit » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:05 pm

zjoere wrote:There was a funny guy at the protest who claimed he didn't have anything against gay people he just didn't want them to get married :lol:. It's a bit like saying: " I don't have anything against women, I just don't think they should be allowed to vote." :lol:
To be fair, I can see what that guy is trying to say, and that's a pretty extreme comparison. Gay marriage is very disturbing to some people, and with good reason. I personally have no problem with it, but I can see why many people would - it's one thing to tolerate or ignore gay couples rather than hating on them, but it's a whole other thing to accept it as normal, which is exactly what allowing them to marry would imply.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:11 pm

zjoere wrote:It isn't a can of worms, it's something open-minded people should be able to agree on.

It isn't a can of worms to you. And not everyone is particularly open minded or, for that matter, informed enough to be able to make an educated choice.

And just as a side note: being dismissive is not a sign of being open minded. Even when an issue seems clear to you, you need to be able to understand why it may not be so to others.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:30 pm

The arguments that were reported in the news were just people who stated it wasn't "natural". And that's an argument I just fail to understand. Trains, cars, guns, adoption in general are all not "natural" but these things exist because we created them. So I don't buy the "if it's not natural, it's bad" argument.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 pm

We've got sixteen pages of gun talk on an issue that both sides probably think open minded people should be able to agree on.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Feud wrote:We've got sixteen pages of gun talk on an issue that both sides probably think open minded people should be able to agree on.

That's true :lol:. Although that's a bit less black and white issue. For the gun talk there are many options between outright banning them and allowing everyone full acces to them. While there are less options between allowing gay adoption and banning it. You can allow it under certain conditions but that's already the case for adoption anyway in most countries.

On a related non-serious satirical note: Guns aren't natural. Nothing is mentioned about them in the bible. If god would have wanted us to shoot people he would have given us a build-in shotguns instead of arms! It's adam and eve, not smith and wesson. :wink:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Most people are born with two side arms. ;)
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Only bears should have the right to bear arms though.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Feud wrote:Most people are born with two side arms. ;)

does that mean you need a concealed carry license to put them in your pockets? :D

Return to “Introversion Lounge”