Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:18 am

I'm considering getting the Blu-ray.

This is interesting because I don't have any kind of Blu-ray player.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:58 pm

DP

Newest season of MLP is just nothing but brony fanservice. It's not fun anymore.

Fuck that.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:39 pm

NeatNit wrote:DP

Newest season of MLP is just nothing but brony fanservice. It's not fun anymore.

Fuck that.
I'm kinda seeing that, yeah. Especially in Pinkie Pie. For all of they said "she breaks the the fourth wall", it's only this season where she actually starts doing it. And it's really, really dumb. And then they made an episode with a zillion of her. And it kinda sucked.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:21 am

Frankly, they had ran out of ideas by season 2. This just confirms it.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:24 am

So, just out of The Hobbit (they had a 2D version! YAY!)

Thoughts... well, this is a tricky one.

First things first though: It really did not need to be split into three movies.

That said, I was never bored during the three hour runtime, and quite enjoyed the movie. However I felt much of it was fairly pointless, and in the case of the expanded material it even detracted of the core story, which is a pity since they could have made a really strong movie or two just out of the main quest and characters.

Ultimately, the main problem is this: It's trying to be LOTR while keeping much of the whimsy and fantasy of a children's book, and they never quite gel. There are some great scenes in both sides of the divide, but there are others that just clash horribly.

All things considered, I'm really happy to be back to middle Earth, but I would much rather this to be a side-story than a "prequel".

I could live without Radaghast though.
Workman
level0

Postby Workman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Pizzzzzzza
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:13 am

So, totally disregarding the comments I'll get flung at my head about not quite being part of its target demographic...let's talk about the Gossip Girl finale. Even last week I was thinking "maybe they just should've let it end sooner, it's getting stretched a little" but this last episode was so well made and brought some huge twists that make it extremely satisfying. Totally blown away!

Not to mention it ended with the newest song by the Pretty Reckless, the band via which I found the series (something about a singer slash actress). I can't wait for that new album.

Jelco

PS: Yes, I watch a lot of chick shows. :P
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:22 am

Some of us just talked about My Little Pony. It's not like we can say anything.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:21 am

I loved The Hobbit. It reminded me why I used to love Middle Earth so much.

Sure, it had some off moments (Radagast) but on the whole it delighted me and surprised me at every turn; basically did everything the book did. It was long, but I was never bored - though it did take a while to get going.

Visually it was stunning - HFR 3D is a MUST. Really, really enhances the film. I really hope more directors use it; for action scenes in particular it is a treat to behold. The whole "dwarves escaping from the goblins" bit was just jaw-dropping. Those who say HFR looks "cheap" need to sit and watch a 3-hour film. As I work in a cinema, I have plenty of time to compare and contrast - while 24fps is acceptable, motion definitely loses some detail and the extra clarity when you jump to 48fps is very discernible.

The only people who will dislike this are those nerdy sticklers who fear change; the kind who will come out and say "the engraving on Glamdring was slightly wrong by a few letters WORST MOVIE EVER". Go in with open eyes and open mind, and you will come out of it with so much more.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:34 pm

shinygerbil wrote:The only people who will dislike this are those nerdy sticklers who fear change

Actually, the nerdy sticklers are the ones enjoying it the most :P
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:50 pm

So Australia, how's the hellfire?

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:08 am

jelco wrote:So Australia, how's the hellfire?

Jelco

Mexico, home of the Mayans, is at -6ish GMT. There are still several hours before the end of the world. On the bright side, today is the last Thursday...

...of the week!

xander
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 am

Could any of you tech savvy folk out there recommend a windows DVD backup utility, something that will remove copy protection and get files into common viewing format.

Doesn't have to be free, just without malware would be nice. I've found a few things on the interwebs of course but wondered what the cool kids were using.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Pet peeve of the day; Coming to a set of double doors in a public place and seeing somebody standing there, holding the door on their side open, waiting for you to walk through, instead of realizing There Is Another Door. Particularly annoying when there are multiple people coming/going. I realize they're trying to be nice, but let's also try to be practical people.

Also, today was a big let down, right?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

First video to reach 1 billion views.

This is what the Mayans predicted.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”