Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:48 am
Location: North of the Wall
Contact:

Postby DTNC Vicious » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:50 am

@2:38 hahahaha
-Vic
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:27 am

We watched Cars 2 last night. There had been some stories from friends that the first one was better than this sequel - I couldn't disagree more. This is a true Pixar masterpiece on the level of Toy Story and Wall-E. They have huge numbers of parodies and references (probably a lot more than most kids would recognize) and have tied it together with the perfect story: not too complicated, but with enough room to plausibly tie together the extremely varied scenes. I have to say the subtilities (which are everywhere) are the details that make this movie.

(Spoiler alert.)

You just can't help notice the puns. London's clock tower called Big Bentley, a car named Shiftwell (this could be just me, but I was reminded of Austin Powers 2), the Popemobile being the actual Pope (in turn placed on another car), Prince Wheeliam...the list goes on. Some minor gags like their pokes at the retarded traffic in France were subtle but very accurate. Plus for a motorsports fan there's enough to be found: their Italian track looks much like an inverse of Monaco's Monte Carlo circuit (a reverse Fairmont hairpin, a bridge instead of a tunnel, the exact casino bend, etc), there's an Austin Martin named Nigel Gearsley (Nigel Mansell, anyone?) and even a Lewis Hamilton car voiced by the real-life McLaren driver.

All these references made it an awesome movie to me, but honestly, even if you don't recognize them all or don't care about them, this is a great watch. Any self-respecting Pixar fan should watch this.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Xocrates
level5
level5
Posts: 5262
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:01 am

jelco wrote:We watched Cars 2 last night.

Curiously enough, I did the same.

Personally, I thought it was okay...ish. So, allow me to disagree on various points:

My major problem with the movie was the it simply did not work, partly because it couldn't quite decide on the tone (it ranged from straight slapstick to someone being tortured and killed rather nastily), and partly because it felt like they wanted to make two different movies: A sequel to Cars, and a spy movie featuring cars, causing it to feel very disjointed.
Honestly, I would very much prefer if they did one or the other, though I admit I would vastly prefer the spy movie with the original cast completely absent (ESPECIALLY Mater).

Also, I believe I've mentioned in the past that I didn't particularly enjoy Cars, but at the very least that one was consistent.

Saying it's a masterpiece on par with Toy Story and Wall-e makes me wonder if you even realize why those movies were considered so good. Cars 2 is easily amongst Pixar's worst.

Also, why do you single out the puns? That was all over the first one too.
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:42 am

Xocrates wrote:Saying it's a masterpiece on par with Toy Story and Wall-e makes me wonder if you even realize why those movies were considered so good. Cars 2 is easily amongst Pixar's worst.

Also, why do you single out the puns? That was all over the first one too.

I consider Toy Story and Wall-E good because they're very accessible for kids and definitely work on their target audience, but have a lot of depth beyond that. Cars 2 has exactly that. It's not social commentary or anything that I'm looking for, but just the variety of themes in general (Wall-E's pollution/laziness etc. themes aren't what made it a good movie, it's the way they handled it). And before you say all Pixar movies have this in some way: Ratatouille was horribly soaked in sticky Disney morals, and while Up made a significant effort and was way more inspired, it didn't do much better on that front. Yes, Cars has the done-to-death "friendship is the most important thing in the world" and "you shouldn't judge people/ask them to change", but it's not rammed down your throat - in fact it's barely more than a minor recurring note.

Sure, puns are all over the place in the original as well, but they weren't as memorable. The sequel also made a point of expanding on the puns a little on certain occasions (take that Popemobile example) so there's a little bit more to it than a simple pun in some cases.

Also they're easier to list in a short summary than larger gags. ;)

Jelco

PS: You seem to think I'm citing Wall-E and Toy Story because they received widespread critical acclaim. I can't deny that's a part of it (even if just on a subconscious level) but mainly I just like them myself for the reasons I gave and ignore what critics say. I mean, Ratatouille was named an awesome movie by critics but my personal opinion on that one is nothing short of loathing.
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
beatsbydresale
level0
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:53 am

Postby beatsbydresale » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:58 am

And it could have been cleanly removed were it not for the reply below.
-- bert
User avatar
xyzyxx
level5
level5
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:50 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:13 am

Yeesh, not even the username is subtle.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
microchip08
level5
level5
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:37 pm
Contact:

Postby microchip08 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:36 am

To be fair, you guys did remove ones that had "Reported." written underneath; why can't you treat other comments in the same way? I wouldn't be opposed to nuking every spam thread that only had meta replies in.
User avatar
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5
Posts: 4795
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:22 pm

We're just following our orders to the letter, except where it really doesn't make sense even a tiny bit. In the 'reported' case, it's safe to assume the post was just made to prevent duplicate reports and is not considered valuable content by anyone. (And I think I also removed some of Jordy's replies, for pretty much the same reason.)
User avatar
Xocrates
level5
level5
Posts: 5262
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:32 pm

jelco wrote:I consider Toy Story and Wall-E good because they're very accessible for kids and definitely work on their target audience, but have a lot of depth beyond that. Cars 2 has exactly that.

And I disagree on that point. Which is also why I consider the movie not to work. The spy stuff does not work for kids with the exception of Mater being there, and he's a terrible character to begin with, that and the movie really doesn't have much dept.

jelco wrote:Yes, Cars has the done-to-death "friendship is the most important thing in the world" and "you shouldn't judge people/ask them to change", but it's not rammed down your throat - in fact it's barely more than a minor recurring note.

A minor recurring note that takes half the movie, however that is not my problem with the movie. My problem with the movie is the lack of consistency of tone and plot, along with the uninteresting characters.

By the way, good characters was exactly what made Toy Story and Wall-E (and most Pixar movies) so good, not whatever plot or theme they had.

jelco wrote:PS: You seem to think I'm citing Wall-E and Toy Story because they received widespread critical acclaim. I can't deny that's a part of it (even if just on a subconscious level) but mainly I just like them myself for the reasons I gave and ignore what critics say.

Then make that clear to begin with :P
Saying something is a masterpiece is in no way shape or form the same as saying "it's among my favourite Pixar movies"
Last edited by Xocrates on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jordy...
level5
level5
Posts: 2367
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Postby Jordy... » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:41 pm

PWND!
Cuz fuck logic
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Really? Me saying "x is awesome" doesn't look like it's an expression of my personal opinion rather than a reiteration of what others are saying? You lost me there. :P Anyway, characters are important as well, I agree with you there - but on that note I don't see how Cars 2 has any bad characters. What's bad about Mater? He's funny, has a childish charm to him and although he's used as a cliché he's-stupid-but-he-means-well character he really carries the movie along with his innocent ignorance. I will admit the lame excuse for a main character Lightning McQueen is poorly designed, but he's an exception and fortunately no longer the main character. :)

On the subject of spam: I don't remove any posts with replies after them, whether it contains "Reported" or other stuff.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Xocrates
level5
level5
Posts: 5262
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:15 pm

jelco wrote:Really? Me saying "x is awesome" doesn't look like it's an expression of my personal opinion rather than a reiteration of what others are saying? You lost me there. :P

Thing is, you didn't say that it was "awesome", you said it was a "masterpiece" which implies it to be a well crafted piece of work regardless of your actual enjoyment of it.

jelco wrote:What's bad about Mater? He's funny, has a childish charm to him and although he's used as a cliché he's-stupid-but-he-means-well character he really carries the movie along with his innocent ignorance. I will admit the lame excuse for a main character Lightning McQueen is poorly designed, but he's an exception and fortunately no longer the main character.

Mater carries the movie? He's carried by the movie. He does nothing but tag along and act silly. He learns nothing and doesn't grow as a character. He's a (annoying) comic relief elevated to main character because the other main character sucks.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 am

It turns out that the heater in our house was 50 years old. I say was. It died last night. We just got to spend $2200 on a new one. Yay. :\

xander
User avatar
Feud
level5
level5
Posts: 5149
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Blackacre, VA

Postby Feud » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Lame. I hear that Sparks gets chilly during the winter.

Also, New Hampshire Primary day!
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Feud wrote:Lame. I hear that Sparks gets chilly during the winter.

Also, New Hampshire Primary day!

It can, though this winter has been pretty mild. I don't think that it has gone much below 20°F yet. Most years, we have a few days of subzero temperatures.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests