Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 pm

microchip08 wrote:To add to the support forum theme: I might be being an utter idiot here, but is there a reason that, to sign an SSL cert for a site, it's so damn expensive? Is there a cheaper way to get rid of the scary "The site's security certificate is not trusted!" error, rather than shelling out more money yearly than my entire triennial hosting plan?

The whole "paying for signing" thing was originally intended to be a kind of threshold to prevent abuse, but is a seriously outdated idea these days. Honestly there's very little reason companies should even charge for signing unless it's an EV certificate, although the administrative/security side of the business is some kind of justification. In essence the idea is that a handful of companies has been certified to be an internationally acknowledged certificate authority (CA) that all browsers recognize as valid issuers of certificates. Since it requires quite some resources to maintain their lists and pay licensing, these companies need to charge money. The more extensive a certificate (wildcard subdomains) the more is charged. Technically speaking EV certificates are similarly implemented but provide the additional ensurance that you're truly connected to whichever organisation the webserver claims to belong to; CAs tend to put in actual effort to validate this through phone calls, signed papers etc. and hence are justified to charge more for this.

See also articles like this one.

However, if you need the simplest of the simplest (for example, domain.com and the www subdomain) you can have that sorted for 20 bucks a year. Just spend some time looking around. ;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
elexis
level5
level5
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:11 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Postby elexis » Tue May 24, 2011 10:59 pm

Uplink is 66% off on steam today.

That is all.
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Wed May 25, 2011 12:08 am

Just went to see Fast Five with a petrolhead housemate. As I've previously mentioned I like the series because at the core it just doesn't take itself too seriously and has switch-your-brain-off action sequences which are just plain fun to watch. The plots might have been weak but apart from the fourth installment it actually worked for what the movie was trying to do. Entertaining, proper fun that comes with loads of racing scenes, which for me personally is a great bonus.

But none of that matters.

Even if the endless car sequences drove you nuts in the previous films, you will love this one. They've finally managed to turn it into a proper action movie that uses car as a supporting device (with one hell of a presence, but supporting nonetheless). An all-star cast of sorts brings in some very capable action and comedy, and makes it more than watchable. Of course you need to be into action movies in general, but beyond that you can forget about your opinion on anything that came before in this franchise; apart from a couple of references and story-bits you're not going to miss a thing.

Stereotypical as it seems, they have already confirmed yet another sequel (in fact it was announced quite a while back alongside the announcement of this one) but instead of making it seem like "another piece of the same sort of entertainment" they actually build up quite some expectations in a proper way. (Hint: wait for the first batch of credits to have passed.)

Jelco
User avatar
Xocrates
level5
level5
Posts: 5262
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Postby Xocrates » Wed May 25, 2011 12:19 am

That's an interesting review in the same day this video was posted.
User avatar
Feud
level5
level5
Posts: 5149
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Blackacre, VA

Postby Feud » Tue May 31, 2011 10:34 pm

Packed to travel. Sadly, my 226 has to stay in AZ for a little while. :cry:
microchip08
level5
level5
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:37 pm
Contact:

Postby microchip08 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:15 pm

Because I'm a penny-pinching Scrooge, is there a way to get Uplink/Darwinia on Linux having bought the Windows versions, without paying again? I assume I can't just download the demo á la DEFCON.

Not that I'm too bothered, I'm happy to pay. But it'd be nice to spend the money on a copy of the original Dungeon Keeper instead...
User avatar
elexis
level5
level5
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:11 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Postby elexis » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Wine?
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:47 pm

microchip08 wrote:Because I'm a penny-pinching Scrooge, is there a way to get Uplink/Darwinia on Linux having bought the Windows versions, without paying again? I assume I can't just download the demo á la DEFCON.

Not that I'm too bothered, I'm happy to pay. But it'd be nice to spend the money on a copy of the original Dungeon Keeper instead...

Both Darwinia and Uplink have native Linux versions, which can be downloaded for free (assuming you already have the Windows versions). Have a look at the respective support pages for the downloads.

xander
microchip08
level5
level5
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:37 pm
Contact:

Postby microchip08 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:58 pm

xander wrote:
microchip08 wrote:Because I'm a penny-pinching Scrooge, is there a way to get Uplink/Darwinia on Linux having bought the Windows versions, without paying again? I assume I can't just download the demo á la DEFCON.

Not that I'm too bothered, I'm happy to pay. But it'd be nice to spend the money on a copy of the original Dungeon Keeper instead...

Both Darwinia and Uplink have native Linux versions, which can be downloaded for free (assuming you already have the Windows versions). Have a look at the respective support pages for the downloads.

xander


The problem is that I have only got the box versions: it wasn't bought online, so I don't have an account to download them with.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:14 am

microchip08 wrote:
xander wrote:
microchip08 wrote:Because I'm a penny-pinching Scrooge, is there a way to get Uplink/Darwinia on Linux having bought the Windows versions, without paying again? I assume I can't just download the demo á la DEFCON.

Not that I'm too bothered, I'm happy to pay. But it'd be nice to spend the money on a copy of the original Dungeon Keeper instead...

Both Darwinia and Uplink have native Linux versions, which can be downloaded for free (assuming you already have the Windows versions). Have a look at the respective support pages for the downloads.

xander


The problem is that I have only got the box versions: it wasn't bought online, so I don't have an account to download them with.

Check. The. Support. Pages.

xander
User avatar
Feud
level5
level5
Posts: 5149
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Blackacre, VA

Postby Feud » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:28 am

Image

I guess that's ok, for free internet at least.
microchip08
level5
level5
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:37 pm
Contact:

Postby microchip08 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:43 pm

xander wrote:Check. The. Support. Pages.

xander


Didn't realise that those support pages even existed – thanks for pointing it out. Off to patch now :-)

(also, free Internet?)
User avatar
Feud
level5
level5
Posts: 5149
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Blackacre, VA

Postby Feud » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:56 pm

microchip08 wrote:(also, free Internet?)


Comes with the apartment, which I'm staying in for free.
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Nothing is truly free.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
User avatar
NeatNit
level5
level5
Posts: 2929
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:26 pm

Feud wrote:Image

I guess that's ok, for free internet at least.
"Ok"? I have very non-free 15 Mb/s right now (well, non-free for my parents)... And tbh I'm not complaining. If you say 20 Mb/s is "ok, for free internet" - you must be very spoiled!

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests