Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 pm

jelco wrote:I'm pretty sure most of the people here who keep track of all the usual channels for weird internet stuffs will have seen this several times today but it's too awesome to not post it. Be sure to read the first answer. ;)

The best April Fool's jokes are those that are believable and aren't an obvious troll... enter a gem from last year which kind of back fired: Denied, a micro-web-framework that later became Flask.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:21 pm

jelco wrote:Also, when looking for a place to get an ID pic taken I found that my city is the first in the entire country to provide the service at town hall, and they only just started that two months ago. Makes it quite a lot easier to get one for my driver's license as most photography shops are apparently located several kilometers away from the place you have to hand in the pics, in the exact opposite direction of where I live (i.e. that would be a massive detour).

Seriously? I've never heard of having to bring your own picture for a driver's license. That's weird.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Feud wrote:Seriously? I've never heard of having to bring your own picture for a driver's license. That's weird.

Ditto.

In fact, just last week I renewed my license over the internet for $15 and it will be good for 5 years. There's also an option for 8 years. It will have the same picture on it they took back in 2006. It's a horrible one (of course), but it's more expensive to go in person and nobody really looks at it anyway.

:P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:In fact, just last week I renewed my license over the internet for $15 and it will be good for 5 years.

I took my driver's license when I was 18. It's valid until I'm 65

And yes, I had to bring my own pictures :P
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:41 pm

Do you have to get the picture updated at any time?

If not, :shock:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Why would I need to update a drivers license that's perfectly valid :P
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:33 am

Seen this floating around, typical email forward stuff, but I laughed:

ALERTS TO THREATS IN 2011 EUROPE - by John Cleese

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent events in Libya and have therefore raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards." They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France 's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans have increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbor" and "Lose."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels .

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia , meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries" to "She'll be alright, Mate." Two more escalation levels remain: "Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!" and "The barbie is canceled." So far no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:10 am

Xocrates wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:In fact, just last week I renewed my license over the internet for $15 and it will be good for 5 years.

The same regulations apply here (yay EU norms), only mine is valid for life (older EU norms). Which is especially funny considering I drove a car maybe three times over the past ten years.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:00 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
Xocrates wrote:

The same regulations apply here (yay EU norms), only mine is valid for life (older EU norms). Which is especially funny considering I drove a car maybe three times over the past ten years.

Man, I wish I lived in a place where it was practical to not use a car. The nearest bus stop is more than a mile away, and it takes an average of two hours to get from there to the nearest bus stop to the University (which is another mile or so from the University). I can bike the distance in about 25 minutes, though that is impractical when I have a lot of books or papers to carry, and (more importantly) it isn't terribly safe---Reno is not designed with bikes in mind, and most drivers see cyclists as targets, rather than something to avoid. I mean, there is active hostility toward cyclists here. This means that my only practical alternative is to drive. :(

xander
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 pm

What are the copy protections for the various IV games? I wanna know if I just need a small key (like Defcon) or a full download of my private copy. And what are the approximates download sizes in the 2nd case?

If you wonder why I need to know: I wanna rob and pirate Introversion while making a Polaroid-Photo-Story about it. In a side story a rodent riot will be staged without any special effects.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Uplink+Darwinia - No copy protection
DEFCON - Key required to play online (not needed for LAN?)
Multiwinia - Key required to play all maps, some maps can be played online without key. Only 1 key is needed for up to 4 player LAN.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Unless they changed something in the past few years, keyless defcon (i.e. Demo) allows for online and local play, but you can only host 1v1 with default rules and there can't be more than a demo player in any game larger.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:43 am

True story: Image someone knows a superhero that can rescue that poor to-do-list guy?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Jelco: Your problem with Sucker Punch is that you just don't get it. After directing the homoerotic masterpiece 300 and the giant blue wang filled Watchmen, the entire point of Sucker Punch is to proclaim, in the loudest possible voice, "I'M NOT GAY! I LIKE BOOBIES!" If you were expecting anything else, your expectations were too high.

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:40 pm

300 homo-erotic?! I dunno, but my jan-doodle got pretty hard watching that movie, and until now I always though I was just a simple heterosexual..

Return to “Introversion Lounge”