Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Rkiver wrote:Compared to European healthcare, American healthcare is terrible. I had to go in for some rather needed spinal surgery last year. Didn't cost me a thing.
Talked to a friend of mine from Philly and another from SF, they said that sort of thing would cost you a bloody load of cash, or idioticly expensive insurance.

It can be hit or miss.

If you have access (or know where to find it), ours will run circles around pretty much anyone else's any day of the week. So you've got the choice of systems: your guy's where everyone can get mediocrity, or ours where most people can get outstanding medical, but not everyone can.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:47 pm

We still have medical insurances and private clinics. This is not an "or" situation, everyone has "free" access to "mediocrity" and people able/willing to pay have access to "outstanding".

You seem to only have access to the latter.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Feud wrote:Pfft, just hire Blackwater. :wink:

Yes, I'm well aware that there are problems. But, when it works, oh baby it works!

The government has hired Lockheed Martin to do the Census actually, so I'm sure they'd consider hiring Xe for something. . . .

Also, the problem there is that for a heck of a lot of the time it really doesn't work. Here if you're ill there will be a doctor who will help you out, if you want some cosmetic surgery or something or really don't trust the NHS then you go for a private hospital (which I would encourage the wealthy to do!). America needs a similar system, the number of people uninsured or even insured but unable to get treatement is apalling, especially the *very real* death panels that insurance companies have.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:36 pm

Insurance is actually obligatory over here. It's illegal for insurance companies to refuse applicants or impose conditions on them. On top of that there's a broad basic coverage policy that every insurance company has to offer. People who don't have a lot of money can apply for compensation provided by our RS. Since I am eligible for that, I pay € 90 bucks a month for the basic policy but get compensated € 60 bucks of it every month. This basic policy covers all GP appointments, costs for hospitalising and medical transportation etc.

A mandatory coverage margin of € 170 means that insurance will only pay out when total annual costs exceed this amount. I took the option of increasing this margin to the max of € 670 which in return lowers the premium. Since I rarely get sick, I have a stack of savings for when medical costs do get high. I save more money each year with the lower premium than I will be likely to spend on medical costs. We used to have free dental compensation up to age 21, but starting this year the bar has been lowered to 18 so I now have to pay for that myself. Those € 100 bucks for two appointments a year happens to be cheaper than the basic dental policy that would cover it.

---

In other news, these have been a weird couple of days. Last Friday I turned 19, which we celebrated Sunday with a huge campfire on our patio. We doused the fire around 5 o'clock. Monday morning I received a call telling me that my last surviving grandparent had passed away at that same time. We had been expecting the news for a couple of weeks now so there's hardly any shock, but that coincidence does make it a little...weird.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:23 pm

START BELIEVING~~!!!
nccvoyager
level1
level1

Postby nccvoyager » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 pm

I still say I'd like to hire house as my doctor...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:53 pm

nccvoyager wrote:I still say I'd like to hire house as my doctor...

And I say that unless you have some mysterious life-threatening disease that no-one else was able to diagnose, that's would be a terrible idea :P
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:00 pm

At last, final episode of Greek. It's a surprisingly down-to-earth finale. They managed to stuff several surprisingly shocking twists in 40 minutes, injecting an air of drama and desperation that really makes you feel like the series is going to end on a downer. Eventually there's enough positive energy flowing through, some lingering material finally wrapped up and it manages to end with a mix of "always keep hope" and "life has only just begun". Top it off with several old faces from seasons long finished to make reappearances (albeit somewhat small) and you end up with a surprisingly good finale. I was shocked at how well they managed to tie up so many loose ends, then introduce new stuff and leave it in enough a wrapped up state without it feeling rushed in any way. Although I was afraid ending mid-year (instead of after a second semester) might leave the series hanging, it ended up being perfect for the remaining script. I'm still sad the last season was so short, and I would have loved for it to go on, but if the series has to end this may very well be the best possible way to do it. :)

Righty then, on to a new series...

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
nccvoyager
level1
level1

Postby nccvoyager » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:00 am

Xocrates wrote:

And I say that unless you have some mysterious life-threatening disease that no-one else was able to diagnose, that's would be a terrible idea :P

Then again, he did diagnose someone with being addicted to drugs, (correctly, I might add...) so...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:21 am

nccvoyager wrote:
Xocrates wrote:

Then again, he did diagnose someone with being addicted to drugs, (correctly, I might add...) so...

How does that contradict anything I said?
E rac
level0

Postby E rac » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:16 am

I was bored, so I made a picture.
nccvoyager
level1
level1

Postby nccvoyager » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 am

Xocrates wrote:
nccvoyager wrote:
Xocrates wrote:

How does that contradict anything I said?

I believe I misinterpreted what you said as saying that it would absolutely be a bad idea to have him as your doctor unless you had a "mysterious life-threatening disease that no-one else was able to diagnose" instead of it probably being a bad idea...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:33 am

nccvoyager wrote:I believe I misinterpreted what you said as saying that it would absolutely be a bad idea to have him as your doctor unless you had a "mysterious life-threatening disease that no-one else was able to diagnose" instead of it probably being a bad idea...

I believe you did misinterpreted me, but for a different reason

My point was that being able to diagnose someone correctly doesn't mean it would be a good idea to have him as medic, not because I doubt his competence, but because he's an asshole who'll break any rule he doesn't like, meaning that for anything that's not a "mysterious life-threatening disease that no-one else was able to diagnose" he would be a terrible choice since any other doctor would do the job at a fraction of the abuse and hassle.
nccvoyager
level1
level1

Postby nccvoyager » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:40 am

True...
Though, I'm known to be comparable in being as much of an asshole as house, so...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:08 am

Went to see Battle: Los Angeles today at the Cine Capri, I enjoyed it.
::No spoilers::

I was a bit worried when I saw that it had such a low rating on RT, so I came in with my hopes a bit restrained. But, the movie didn't disappoint. There is a good amount of action in it, by which I mean LOTS and LOTS of action, which is really what I was expecting out of it.

Couple things: Towards the beginning there was a bit too much shaky camera going on for my taste (I'm not a fan of the quick cut editing that is all the rage these days either), but it seemed to settle down a bit as the movie went on.

Also, there is one scene (you'll know it when you get there) that is just silly. I like Aaron Eckhart, and I think he's a good actor. But, it seems like he got to that point in the script, realized how out of place it was to the rest of the film and how tacked on it felt, and figured "this isn't going to be fixed by acting better, so instead I'll act harder".

But, the rest of the movie delivers exactly what it set out to do: Independence Day meets Blackhawk Down (in case this is lost on anyone by movie's end, they give you a helpful reminder). While I would have liked it if it gave more of a "big picture", since it is focused on a single squad (platoon? I'm not good with military units) I understand why they didn't.

I think though that what I liked most about it is that it's one of the few alien invasion films I've seen where the aliens seem to act like a military force. Though they are definitely brazen in their tactics, if you watch how the aliens act in combat, they seem to have their own mannerisms that make them seem better (looking around to see where their fellow aliens are, ducking, weaving, etc). Also, they didn't succumb to the classic "scary when you don't see them, silly once you do" syndrome.

I think the critics got this one wrong, though I can see why some might not like it (it's plot is definitely not Inception). Personally, I quite enjoyed it!

Return to “Introversion Lounge”