Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:57 pm

xander wrote:
zjoere wrote:Me and 2 friends want to go for a weekend to either paris or london. Wich one would you recommend and why?

London. They don't speak French there. ;)

xander

I read somewhere that London was the top destination for French expats, to the extent that they now have their own Francophone local radio station, which I thought was interesting.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:46 pm

I need help diagnosing a computer problem... I don't want to send it to the shop for diagnosing since it costs and I've run out of warranty.

Basically, what happens is that a few minutes into pretty much any game that uses DirectX, the computer crashes. First my screen turns black and tries to toggle between digital and analog inputs for a few seconds, which I think means that it's still getting something, but can't make a picture out of it. Then, sound (which continues for a few seconds) starts looping very quickly (I'd say 5 times a second at least), and the computer freezes completely. In the few seconds after the screen turns black, I can see that the computer's still working because the G15 screen still works - I can switch between apps. After sound starts looping, the G15 screen is frozen the way it was, I can't numlock, caps lock etc. and the entire computer is frozen. And then I restart.

Sounds like a GPU problem, right?

I have an old GPU that I wanted to use temporarily, just to test, but there are no drivers for it on Windows 7. Is it safe to use Vista drivers, or should I give up on that?

(PS, in case anyone cares, my current card is ATi Radeon HD 4850 and the old card is nvidia GeForce FX 5200)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:29 pm

NeatNit wrote:Sounds like a GPU problem, right?
Yep. The poor bugger is probably overheating and shutting down, taking the rest with him after the delay. Dunno about your display, but mine all start toggling input when they receive nothing at all; even invalid input still prevents toggling.

And yeah, Vista drivers usually still work on 7.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:49 pm

My computer just reminded me of a different, possibly related problem I get sometimes. This happens very rarely, but already happened three or four times. The screen turns off and on, and then the dark sections of the screen have weird random markings on them (I'll try to make a mock-up). Every time I use any of the Aero's features, or switch a window, or basically do anything, the screen turns off and on. I can fix it by disabling and reenabling Aero (which I do by switching to Windows 7 Basic and then back to my custom theme). As far as I can tell, this is a GPU problem as well...

I don't think it's overheating, although I'll try to monitor that while playing. Not that I'm dismissing your input, but in my previous experience, the card really doesn't let itself overheat.

I just manually set the fan speed to 100%, and will try to keep an eye on the temprature while playing now.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Overheating just means T > T_0, Depending on the health of the chip and stability of the power supply, T_0 can vary widely.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:17 am

For those of you how have stopped reading the comments in the blog, you should really read this one.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:19 am

For those of you who have stopped reading the topics in the Subversion forum, you should really read this one.. ;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:15 am

Oops :roll: I stopped checking that forum when all the posts were about everybody's version of the "perfect game".
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:36 am

I stopped paying attention to it when the developers stopped giving me a reason to pay attention.. It's been what, four months since an update?

Also:

New budgetary numbers are showing that my next toy purchase might be possible a full month ahead of what was originally expected. If that's the case, Feud may be a very happy guy come January. I'm thinking this will do:

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Just watched Inception and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edit: Haha! The company I work for just announced for $9.95 I can buy Office 2010 (home use program, Word, Excel, PP, Outlook, OneNote, :SharePoint Workspace, Access, Publisher, InfoPath).

/me goes to buy

Whee....
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Hmm, what do they teach children in america always..? Toys are not guns or something? Guns are not toys, I don't know exactly..but, I do wonder when they reversed this policy.. education seems in rapid decline in your country..
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Jordy... wrote:[..] education seems in rapid decline in your country..

And yours too, it would appear.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:30 pm

That does indeed look very nice Feud! Of all the pistols I've played with Sigs were my favourite, just a shame none of them were set up for left-handers.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:59 pm

microchip08 wrote:
Jordy... wrote:[..] education seems in rapid decline in your country..

And yours too, it would appear.

Well, I don't really want to blame the school system for this, I have to be honest, I never really liked school that much..
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:04 pm

That doesn't surprise me.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”