Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:49 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Read this, for your G15.

I've never had that issue, then again my motherboard is setup so that it activates the USB devices, and not windows. Amazing how many people miss that....
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:09 pm

That doesn't sound like a special G15 issue to be honest. It's just the standard fuss of enabling Legacy USB in your BIOS and allowing your keyboard to wake the machine from standby in Device Manager. I think this is as old as the existence of USB keyboards. :P

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 pm

$1 million armored truck heist

How lame is this? In the movie Heat the bad guys got away with way less than a million dollars, and they made the heist all cool like with ramming the truck and using high explosives. This guy just pointed a gun at the guard and took the money.

People have no dramatic flair anymore.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Rkiver wrote:

I've never had that issue, then again my motherboard is setup so that it activates the USB devices, and not windows. Amazing how many people miss that....

jelco wrote:

That doesn't sound like a special G15 issue to be honest. It's just the standard fuss of enabling Legacy USB in your BIOS and allowing your keyboard to wake the machine from standby in Device Manager. I think this is as old as the existence of USB keyboards. :P

Jelco

I pointed out that thread for the command for the keyboard macro button to shut down the PC. The waking up a PC from a USB device just happens to be there as well.

For clarification, read this part of the thread, NeatNit:

Irreal wrote:i'm not sure if you can power up using a USB keyboard, but if i had to speculate i'd say no.

as for turning off your computer, you can bind it to any G key you want

go into keyboard profiler, click on a g key, select "Assign Shortcut"
name the shortcut anything you want
in the next box type in "shutdown.exe -s -t 0"
0 represents how many seconds to wait before shutting down, you can change that if you want

that's it, that g key will turn off your computer now
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:16 pm

Heh, didn't think of that, thanks a lot for that link. I don't think I'm going to use it though; I might push the button by accident. Also, if I use a different profile for whatever game makes my computer stuck... well, that shortcut button wouldn't be there.

What I meant was an LCD program.

Still, thanks!

Edit: fine, I'm using it :evil:
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Rkiver wrote:

Hmm, I've never had this problem either. I guess the manufacturer of this pc knew what *he* was doing :wink:
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Last week the CS department set up a Console Gaming Night where I touched on Guitar Hero/Rock Band for the first time. Technically speaking it was the second time, but the first time was when a housemate was finished with his session in the living room and pushed the controller in my hands, which was so awfully calibrated I put it away after getting bored about two minutes later. Max said quite some time ago that he figured I might actually be good at it seeing my sense for music, but even still this was the first time I'd actually played it.

To my own surprise I picked it up pretty quickly. I got the controller when it was still set on Medium and after the intial getting-used-to I basically aced lots of the easier songs. In other words, I've never actually touched Easy and just did everything on Medium. (I think this was all on GH5.) After that night I decided to pick it up here at home, where we have a Wii with GH4 on disc (with a guitar) and several other GH games on the harddrive (yes, illegal, before you ask). In the couple of days that I actually found time to play I've managed to do quite well on quite difficult songs like Bullet for My Valentine's "Scream Aim Fire". I also downloaded several Rock Band games (the first game, two song packs, RB2 and...Lego Rock Band), and put them on the HDD today. While the guitar doesn't seem to work with RB1 it works fine with every other game, including the two song packs which look like they work with RB1's shell. Surprise aside, Lego Rock Band is the only one I've actually played today, and it's really charming with all the great things of the Lego video games combined with the rocky style. After a near-perfect run on "In Too Deep" by Sum 41 I decided to try Hard for a change. It was difficult to get used to but I think mastering "Scream Aim Fire" on Medium was more difficult than moving on to Hard on "In Too Deep".

I suspected that Lego Rock Band had a slightly lower difficulty spectrum so I decided to move back to "Scream Aim Fire" and try that on Hard. I got the ass-kicking I expected but surprisingly not because of the fifth button and higher difficulty in general (well, not entirely) - for some reason the audio tracks of the background and the notes you hit were out of sync. I don't mean the audio or video in general lagged, I mean that when hitting the notes perfectly it was obvious the notes lagged behind the background music track. I got this the first time I tried the track on Medium with the on-HDD version of GH4 (we accidentally have it on the HDD too) and that was solved by moving to the disc, but this time I was playing from the disc and I still had the problem. I decided I'd ruined my fingers enough for the night and simply shut down the Wii but it does surprise me that stuff like that happens.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put this out there. I haven't posted on here as much recently as I used to, mostly because of busyness in life. This post illustrates what kind of busyness. :P

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:53 am

Sooo.... You're one of those Pirate Bastards who make the Wii Homebrew scene target for Nintendo's half-assed and dangerous countermeasures? Yay you!
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:34 pm

jelco wrote:Last week the CS department set up a Console Gaming Night where I touched on Guitar Hero/Rock Band for the first time. Technically speaking it was the second time, but the first time was when a housemate was finished with his session in the living room and pushed the controller in my hands, which was so awfully calibrated I put it away after getting bored about two minutes later. Max said quite some time ago that he figured I might actually be good at it seeing my sense for music, but even still this was the first time I'd actually played it.

To my own surprise I picked it up pretty quickly. I got the controller when it was still set on Medium and after the intial getting-used-to I basically aced lots of the easier songs. In other words, I've never actually touched Easy and just did everything on Medium. (I think this was all on GH5.) After that night I decided to pick it up here at home, where we have a Wii with GH4 on disc (with a guitar) and several other GH games on the harddrive (yes, illegal, before you ask). In the couple of days that I actually found time to play I've managed to do quite well on quite difficult songs like Bullet for My Valentine's "Scream Aim Fire". I also downloaded several Rock Band games (the first game, two song packs, RB2 and...Lego Rock Band), and put them on the HDD today. While the guitar doesn't seem to work with RB1 it works fine with every other game, including the two song packs which look like they work with RB1's shell. Surprise aside, Lego Rock Band is the only one I've actually played today, and it's really charming with all the great things of the Lego video games combined with the rocky style. After a near-perfect run on "In Too Deep" by Sum 41 I decided to try Hard for a change. It was difficult to get used to but I think mastering "Scream Aim Fire" on Medium was more difficult than moving on to Hard on "In Too Deep".

I suspected that Lego Rock Band had a slightly lower difficulty spectrum so I decided to move back to "Scream Aim Fire" and try that on Hard. I got the ass-kicking I expected but surprisingly not because of the fifth button and higher difficulty in general (well, not entirely) - for some reason the audio tracks of the background and the notes you hit were out of sync. I don't mean the audio or video in general lagged, I mean that when hitting the notes perfectly it was obvious the notes lagged behind the background music track. I got this the first time I tried the track on Medium with the on-HDD version of GH4 (we accidentally have it on the HDD too) and that was solved by moving to the disc, but this time I was playing from the disc and I still had the problem. I decided I'd ruined my fingers enough for the night and simply shut down the Wii but it does surprise me that stuff like that happens.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put this out there. I haven't posted on here as much recently as I used to, mostly because of busyness in life. This post illustrates what kind of busyness. :P

Jelco

It's been my experience that people are much better off skipping easy on the Guitar altogether in most cases. Hell, if it was do-able I'd recommend most people start on hard, because that jump to the 5th key can take a lot of getting used to for a lot of people (especially if you started on easy like I did). The ideal situation would be for medium difficulty to include all 5 buttons but I guess that's never going to happen. Not that it makes a huge amount of difference to me, since I'm a drummer, but that's not really the point - I've found the progression from Easy to Expert on the drums much easier, simply because all 5 inputs on the drums are used on all difficulty levels.
Also, I found Lego Rock Band really horrible to play, to the point that I just installed all the songs on the harddrive (360 version, yay), and play them in Rock Band 2.

In other news: You pirate scumbag!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Do atheists really need to switch off on Sundays?

Spiegel wrote:Germany's highest court has ruled that Sunday should be kept as a day of rest and has overturned a Berlin law easing restrictions on Sunday shopping. Most German newspapers on Wednesday greet the ruling, some for reasons of religion and tradition, others out of a concern for workers' rights.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm currently seriously pissed off with Commandos 2. Not because the game is really hard, but because I keep losing at the end of the second tutorial mission and I have no idea why. :?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Fond memories of the first one...

I used to always find a blind corner, pull the pistol, and start blazing away. In the first Commandos there was infinite ammo for it with no reloads and eventually the alarm would sound and most of the guards would come running. They'd come running around the corner and I'd just gun them down, once they stopped coming I'd have a pile of people about 20-30 high and I'd go about the rest of the game taking out the handful that was left. Worked pretty well. :D

Edit: Turns out this tactic also works fairly well for Hitman...
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:24 am

HELP THE AUSTRALIANS!!!

(Our) Senator Conroy is going ahead with Australian Internet Censorship!
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:05 am

I HAVE LOST FAITH IN THIS HERE GOVERNMENT AND THAT RETARDED MAN.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”