Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Xocrates wrote:While not "extreme", you certainly are one of the persons I know more susceptible to it. You see, the difference between you and me is that if you don't enjoy a particularly hyped game/movie/whatever, you immediately deem the piece, while not bad, inferior. I on the other have good chances of understanding what the fuss is all about even if I didn't particularly enjoy the movie game.

Whoa, wait a minute there. This is you filling out blanks that aren't there. Once again, give me examples. I haven't said of the Star Wars movies that they are inferior, just that I don't find them as interesting as everyone tells me they are. Spore was a different case altogether since, as I said, I was not blaming the game for its hype, I was blaming the hype for picking the wrong game, and I was doing so since way before the game (or even the demo) came out.

NeoThermic: Yes, I did that on purpose. ;)

The GoldFish wrote:You probably shouldn't have watched them in such quick succession, Jelco.

Hmm, might be the problem, but then again I watched IV on one night and V and VI on another (so not all in one sitting), and after IV I was already getting the feeling that the introduction had just finished. I'm not sure that would have changed that much if I'd put weeks between the movies.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:42 pm

jelco wrote:Whoa, wait a minute there. This is you filling out blanks that aren't there. Once again, give me examples. I haven't said of the Star Wars movies that they are inferior, just that I don't find them as interesting as everyone tells me they are.

So they are not "inferior", they are just "worse than what everyone tells you"?
See a contradiction yet? :wink:

I think you misunderstood me. I explicitly stated that while you deemed something "inferior", you do not deem them "bad".
"Inferior", in the context I was using, just meant "inferior to what people say".

EDIT: Perhaps this will explain a little better: My point was that when you watch a hyped something you believe the Hype and forget that, people being what it is, it's usually exaggerated. You never take into account hyperbole, or at least not to the extent you should.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Xocrates wrote:I think you misunderstood me. I explicitly stated that while you deemed something "inferior", you do not deem them "bad".
"Inferior", in the context I was using, just meant "inferior to what people say".

Well that's an odd definition, I'd call that "disappointing" or something like that. ;) "Inferior" is a word I'd use when comparing it to other movies, so yes, that threw me off a bit. :)

On another note, I found this to be an interesting development. Any of you L4D players want to comment on this?

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:48 pm

Yeah. L4D2 is a stupid idea. :P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:05 pm

martin wrote:I've gone deaf in my right ear :S

Temporarily, I hope?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:12 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Yeah. L4D2 is a stupid idea. :P

Not really. From what I seen so far L4D2 seems to be looking up to be pretty good. I kind of agree with the too soon argument, though.

That group on the other hand is plain stupid.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:42 pm

On a side note, you are watching them (Star Wars) long after they were released, and in succession, when everyone else (that was around at the time) had to wait from one film to the next. Plus, even when the first one came out, there was no guarantee there'd be another one after, let alone a third and of course three additional even after. In short, you're watching them with "series" in mind while (at least at first) the original couldn't really be seen that way, so you've put yourself at another disadvantage.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:42 pm

The Star Wars movies are inferior, and George Lucas was, is, and always shall be, a hack. As an additional piece of history, Star Wars was originally released as a stand alone movie. None of this "Episode IV: A New Hope" bullshit. That was added later, after Lucas decided to make two more movies, and cash in on the success of the first. I also find it funny how several people early on made claims that Lucas was tapping into a mythological zeitgeist with his films. Lucas certainly hadn't intended to do so---he was just ripping off Hidden Fortress, and setting it in space---but he was certainly quick to make grandiose claims about his own mythmaking.

If you want to see a good movie, watch the films that Star Wars is based upon, e.g. Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, which really is a good movie.

xander
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:02 pm

So... I just bought a PSP. It was cheaper than usual (not by much, but enough to compensate) and also bought an 8GB card.

I don't have any games for it yet (I think the UMDs were a bit overpriced. Seriously, wipeout Pure was at the price of a new release), but I managed to get the thing to play the Defcon Soundtrack, so it's all cool 8)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:34 am

Phelanpt wrote:

Temporarily, I hope?

Me too, I have no idea what caused it, of course all the doctors are closed and it's not deemed an emergency so I've got to wait until Monday to see a doctor. My dad guesses it's a wax build up, which I really hope so! I quite like being able to hear (I appreciate it even more after a day of not having it in on ear)!

jelco wrote:On another note, I found this to be an interesting development. Any of you L4D players want to comment on this?

Jelco

I joined that group

Xocrates wrote:
shinygerbil wrote:Yeah. L4D2 is a stupid idea. :P

Not really. From what I seen so far L4D2 seems to be looking up to be pretty good. I kind of agree with the too soon argument, though.

That group on the other hand is plain stupid.

Yes, it looks pretty good, but the problem that group is highlighting is that a lot of content was promised for L4D which was never delivered - all us gamers were trusting in valve to make good on their promises and now it looks like they never will.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:37 am

And on a somewhat random note (appropriate I think ;) )

For any programmers out there with a bit of spare time I just released a library I've been developing recently called AgentB, it's for easy (Actor based) concurrency in C# (queue 1 managed/unmanaged languages debate :roll: )

Introduction:
http://martindevans.appspot.com/blog/pe ... b3N0GMM-DA
Release of AgentB v1.0:
http://martindevans.appspot.com/blog/pe ... b3N0GMU-DA

Also, you can admire/criticise my website, feedback on either project is appreciated :)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:09 am

* pushes criticise button *

Did your site seriously just pop up a javascript alert telling me that it would use the default style as no cookie was found? I don't really need to know, and don't want to be annoyed.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:17 am

martin wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:

Temporarily, I hope?

Me too, I have no idea what caused it, of course all the doctors are closed and it's not deemed an emergency so I've got to wait until Monday to see a doctor. My dad guesses it's a wax build up, which I really hope so! I quite like being able to hear (I appreciate it even more after a day of not having it in on ear)!

I've had that twice, I think. Hope it's that, since it's easily taken care of.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:16 am

martin wrote:Yes, it looks pretty good, but the problem that group is highlighting is that a lot of content was promised for L4D which was never delivered

The survival pack doesn't count? Besides, Valve has stated that they'll continue to update L4D

Beyond that, we plan to continue updating Left 4 Dead. We’re not done with that title, it’s not over.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:55 am

xander wrote:If you want to see a good movie, watch the films that Star Wars is based upon, e.g. Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, which really is a good movie.

Well, yeah, the plot definitely bears similarities. Kurosawa's movies are all masterpieces, but this one (combined with Seven Samurai) is definitely on the top of the list. (On a more technical note, it's the only other feature film I've seen that makes such extensive use of wipes.) By the way, if we're going to name things that were somewhat copied partially, also name The Searchers and of course Flash Gordon. ;)

That being said, I don't think they're necessarily inferior - they're not total ripoffs (the plot deviates significantly at several points if I remember Hidden Fortress correctly) and the new setting has definitely been executed very well. As far as the sequelege goes, I think they've done a pretty good job to add sequels in such a way that it's not entirely visible that the original was intended as stand-alone. Truth is, I liked the movies, and I'd defend them. I don't think they're worth the unanimous praise and the best-movies-evar-status they hold even now, more than 30 years after the release of the first one. However, they're decent movies, and at least somewhat competently made.

By the way, I watched The Phantom Menace yesterday. I'd agree that it was kind of a flat movie - nothing really happened other than an avalanche of CGI and action. I also still haven't figured out what the title is actually referring to...

Jelco

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Lounge”