Introversion on sale this week

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:16 am

Holy block of text Batman!

Anyway:

5$ x lots of sales > ~30$ x no sales

PC is not dying, much as the console developers want it to.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:17 am

Barbarossa wrote:Ever developers like John Carmack abandoned ship and went strictly "consoles-only"
Whut? Where? When? Isn't Rage coming to the PC, and isn't it going to be the best looking version without the need to swap disks in the middle like the XBox version likely will require, with full resolution (instead of lame-o-720p) rendering, all provided you have the right hardware?

And yeah, such sales do two things:
- they sell the game to people previously on the fence, people who would not buy the game at regular price
- they generate more word of mouth advertising because the people buying the game will tell their friends, potentially too late for them to also catch the sale
- anthology sales are good service for fans who would like to complete their collection and thus increase brand loyalty
Three! Three things.
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Actually we did brilliantly out of the Steam sale, as did many developers on the platform. You just can't argue with 10 million regular users and massive price reductions. Steam = amazing basically.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Chris wrote:Actually we did brilliantly out of the Steam sale
Yay!
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Postby Barbarossa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:47 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
Barbarossa wrote:Ever developers like John Carmack abandoned ship and went strictly "consoles-only"
Whut? Where? When? Isn't Rage coming to the PC, and isn't it going to be the best looking version without the need to swap disks in the middle like the XBox version likely will require, with full resolution (instead of lame-o-720p) rendering, all provided you have the right hardware?

And yeah, such sales do two things:
- they sell the game to people previously on the fence, people who would not buy the game at regular price
- they generate more word of mouth advertising because the people buying the game will tell their friends, potentially too late for them to also catch the sale
- anthology sales are good service for fans who would like to complete their collection and thus increase brand loyalty
Three! Three things.

You are correct about the details (pertaining to Rage) but my statement earlier was basically trying to underline the general trend of shifting paradigms from PC gaming to console and now tablet, portable, mobile gaming.. PC gaming is what made developers like Carmack (Doom, Quake, etc..) and yet they are increasingly abandoning it.. IMHO Crysis is still the best graphical looking PC game out there (and what was back in 2007!) and originally Crytek released it as a PC exclusive.. but due to their alleged lack of sales due to 'piracy' (yes piracy was a factor, but I think it had more to do than that, perhaps the gaming base was already on consoles and no PC game would ever do as well in terms of sales revenue as its heyday back in 95-98 era) they next version (which to me was just an expansion pack) was dumb-ed down for the xbox360 and when developer has to concentrate or design for multiple platforms of course its different from if they put 100% into PC.. I understand from the high level its all a business decision, companies target markets where there is monies to be made. Free market competition means everyone has to jump on the bandwagon just to survive or stay in place. Even Microsoft abandoned their very successful and hugely money making Flight Simulator franchise of nearly 3 decades! Sad to say, PC is dying on all fronts, and not just pertaining to gaming.

2. they generate more word of mouth advertising because the people buying the game will tell their friends, potentially too late for them to also catch the sale

Yes I think #2 point is very well made. They can't really do this kind of promotion for too long because then people who were willing to pay the full price would just take advantage and not have to. That' s how coupons work as well, it takes care of the demand elastic side of folks who could do without, but since the majority of people don't use coupons the demand inelastic group are still paying full price. So by doing it only for a week, they have got most of the "fence people" without cannibalizing too much revenue from others who would be able and willing to pay the full price. Bottom line, the company is doing whatever it thinks is in its best interest (maximizing total revenue and profits)
Retrospect
level0

Postby Retrospect » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:28 am

Chris wrote:Actually we did brilliantly out of the Steam sale.

I'll say! I had not heard of these games before, but my boyfriend has played all of them. He bought the package for himself and me (for $5 I probably would have bought this myself anyways even knowing nothing of the games), and I'm sure some of his friends nabbed it, too. But I love all these games! They're so fun and addictive. I've recommended them to my other gamer friends who haven't played it yet and re-sparked interest in people who have played but not for years. Even now, after the sale, I recommend this game.

I'd say that's a great success. :D
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:23 am

I think it was a great move, being Subversion is coming closer and closer to its release, any NEW or OLD members/customers to the IV community will be great for when SV is released. (At full price)

So in short-term. It brought a little money into the well needed pockets to keep all of IV's projects running like they want.
In long-term it just might have increased the sells of SV if even slightly.

Plus seeing all the new players in Defcon is a major major +
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:11 am

SV? :? If anything it would be SVN but that is just confusing.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:42 am

Barbarossa wrote: Crytek released it as a PC exclusive.. but due to their alleged lack of sales due to 'piracy'

I suspect with Crysis the problem was a lot more to do with the fact that the minimum specs required to play the game were/are stupid. Something Valve seems to get much better, their games still look pretty good on the highest settings but also run well on the old crappy hardware.
lkraider
level0

Mac version?

Postby lkraider » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Are there any plans for the Mac versions to be released on Steam too? I hate having to boot windows so I can play my fav games.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Mac version?

Postby xander » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:23 pm

lkraider wrote:Are there any plans for the Mac versions to be released on Steam too? I hate having to boot windows so I can play my fav games.

You need to talk to Ambrosia Software about that. They publish the Mac version, and seem to have exclusive rights to do so.

xander

Return to “Introversion News”