Steam Defcon beta testers required

The forum with all your Introversion News!
SNFU
level1
level1

Postby SNFU » Fri May 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Montyphy wrote:
SNFU wrote:Once I get the patch I'll sign up for the beta and stop whining. Cheers!

I'm guessing that by the time you get the patch beta testing wont be needed since it's part of what needs beta testing. ;)

Hahaha.....now *THAT'S* 9000.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri May 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Don't double-post please. If you need to quote two different posts, you can first post the first, then quote the other but instead of posting, copy it and paste into the first using the edit button. ;)

SNFU wrote:*Steam has a horrible track record with customer satisfaction and failing to deliver goods as advertised. We all know it. Eskimos do not eat whale blubber because it's tasty - they do it because it's the only thing at the arctic buffet. Steam is the only service that commands over 2 million users daily - people don't use it because it's the best or fastest service - they use it because it's the biggest.
Actually it is quite good and fast. You get to keep all your games in the same place, you can access it from any computer anywhere in the world, at any times, redownload as many times as you want. It's one of the few DRMs that doesn't suck ass and actually works. It also lets you chat with friends and surf the web without getting out of your game, and join your friends' game with one click (for games that support that feature).

It really is the best.
ThornXBL
level0

Postby ThornXBL » Sat May 15, 2010 3:31 am

Just so I'm clear; this update has not been released yet, right? Because there's a growing number of us that just recently purchased DEFCON on Steam but can't play due to the AuthKey issues (http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=7256)
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sat May 15, 2010 9:08 am

ThornXBL wrote:Just so I'm clear; this update has not been released yet, right? Because there's a growing number of us that just recently purchased DEFCON on Steam but can't play due to the AuthKey issues (http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=7256)

Correct. This patch is currently (just about to be) in the final stages of being tested before released. Hopefully it won't be too long away! :)
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sat May 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Any chance getting the mac version trough steam down the line? I know you can get them through ambrosia, but it could be nice none the less.
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
SNFU
level1
level1

Postby SNFU » Sat May 15, 2010 10:31 pm

NeatNit wrote:Don't double-post please. If you need to quote two different posts, you can first post the first, then quote the other but instead of posting, copy it and paste into the first using the edit button. ;)

SNFU wrote:*Steam has a horrible track record with customer satisfaction and failing to deliver goods as advertised. We all know it. Eskimos do not eat whale blubber because it's tasty - they do it because it's the only thing at the arctic buffet. Steam is the only service that commands over 2 million users daily - people don't use it because it's the best or fastest service - they use it because it's the biggest.
Actually it is quite good and fast. You get to keep all your games in the same place, you can access it from any computer anywhere in the world, at any times, redownload as many times as you want. It's one of the few DRMs that doesn't suck ass and actually works. It also lets you chat with friends and surf the web without getting out of your game, and join your friends' game with one click (for games that support that feature).

It really is the best.

To be fair, that's simply an opinion. Yes, all your eggs are in one basket - which means when steam goes down,none of the things you're speaking in support of actually work.

You said it actually works. It doesn't. Or are you missing the all of the people who have bought the game and can't get it to work? Yes, it's a great idea and yes as far as drm goes it does it's job well enough. But it does not operate as advertised. Thats my point.

If the problem isn't Steam, then are you saying it's introversion knowingly selling the faulty product here?
Prof.Falken
level2
level2

Postby Prof.Falken » Sun May 16, 2010 12:05 am

Boomshakalakalakalakalakabooom !
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun May 16, 2010 6:19 pm

How will we know when testing starts? PM here? email? Stuff magially popping up on Steam?
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Sun May 16, 2010 6:58 pm

The patch isn't quite ready yet, but we have brought forward a fix for the Steam authentication issue experienced by many gamers. You should find you can now run Defcon from Steam without any error messages popping up, as a full game user. If you delete your auth key in the steam defcon folder, it will force Defcon to re-authenticate you from scratch, and you'll see the progress of that on screen. This isn't necessary to play, but does show the process in detail. We're quite confident it should work perfectly now.

Apologies to everyone who struggled with this issue!
SNFU
level1
level1

Postby SNFU » Mon May 17, 2010 12:24 am

Thank you Chris!

We'll let you know how we make out (we have a number of players in differing locations)

Again, thanks for keeping up with the communications aspect - it's *always* appreciated.

Cheers
LoB
level0

Postby LoB » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:02 am

The news one month ago stated that the testing should begin "sometime next week".
Any news on when it will really start? Or has it started already and I missed it?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:40 am

LoB wrote:Or has it started already and I missed it?

This
LoB
level0

Postby LoB » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Xocrates wrote:

This

Damn. So I can assume that I have not been chosen for beta testing? :(
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:45 pm

LoB wrote:
Xocrates wrote:

This

I don't think they were choosing people. I belive it was simply a matter of "if you have Steam + Defcon, come test".
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
bagpuss606
level0

Postby bagpuss606 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:41 pm

LoB wrote:
Xocrates wrote:

This

Perhaps Introversion could post a new update confirming that they now don't need testers? Can't say this has wasted a huge amount of my time but it'd have been good to know there was no point clicking the link & registering.

Return to “Introversion News”