Steam Defcon beta testers required

The forum with all your Introversion News!
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sun May 09, 2010 6:54 pm

As far as I know steam keys and retail keys are interchangable. I have both versions so count me in.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sun May 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Schubdüse wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:Just realized the bad part of getting accepted:
Having to read the Defcon forums. :?

:mrgreen:

We are not all suckers! Prove? I just have bought you a beer... :wink:

Heh, I never thought so. I don't like beer that much, but thanks.
Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Sun May 09, 2010 9:12 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:As far as I know steam keys and retail keys are interchangable. I have both versions so count me in.

Hmm, I have made a steam-account and downloaded the steam demo version of Defcon. Then I tried to enter my retail keys (directly purchased from IV).
Defcon tells me, that it cannot find my keys. Guess, I need a special steam key, right?
It's not a big problem to buy it again. On the other hand, I already have 2 keys...:roll:

Phelanpt wrote:I don't like beer that much, but thanks.

Cookies then? I have cookies. :D

Phelanpt wrote:Heh, I never thought so.

I see.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon May 10, 2010 7:03 am

Schubdüse wrote:
tllotpfkamvpe wrote:As far as I know steam keys and retail keys are interchangable. I have both versions so count me in.

Hmm, I have made a steam-account and downloaded the steam demo version of Defcon. Then I tried to enter my retail keys (directly purchased from IV).
Defcon tells me, that it cannot find my keys. Guess, I need a special steam key, right?
It's not a big problem to buy it again. On the other hand, I already have 2 keys...:roll

I think at one time this was the case (or maybe I'm thinking windows/mac ?) but it got changed.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Mon May 10, 2010 7:14 am

Still works for me.
SNFU
level1
level1

Steam? ReallY?

Postby SNFU » Thu May 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Just so you fine folks down there know, we've been at this game since you first threw it onto the market.

Stupidly, I grabbed the steam version thinking that a) you guys would have your act together in regards to keys and that b) You and steam didn't simply pass the buck back and forth as to whose fault it is that the game won't authenticate properly.

I think this is the only game I have ever owned that I have to erase my keys everytime I go to play just to get it to work - and it only works about 10% of the time.

So whats my point?

How about getting the game to work properly instead of making it look better. How it looks wont make a lick of difference if people cant play it.

I'd love to take part in the Beta, but what do I play it on?

Seriously. Awesome game (always has been) but RETARDED delivery and even worse support.

Thanks for your time.
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Thu May 13, 2010 8:00 pm

SNFU,

I totally understand your frustration, that problem we have with Steam really annoys us too. It's one of the bugs we've fixed in this update. Once the update is tested and released the problem will never happen again. We'd love to have your help with testing the fix!
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1

Postby Pyr0qvy » Fri May 14, 2010 4:01 am

Achievements in DEFCON? Possible foreshadowing of DEFCON on Xbox 360? Only time (or IV) will tell.

Oh God! the homophobic 8 year olds!
Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire he'll be warm fr the rest of his life.
SNFU
level1
level1

Postby SNFU » Fri May 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Chris wrote:SNFU,

I totally understand your frustration, that problem we have with Steam really annoys us too. It's one of the bugs we've fixed in this update. Once the update is tested and released the problem will never happen again. We'd love to have your help with testing the fix!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post, simply being acknowledged is 75% of the customer relation game.

Honestly, I liked it better the old way, but for you folks to make some real money at this, steam is pretty much the final frontier. I hated steam before and I hate it now, but theres no real option for certain games (MW2 etc). I'm not even sure how steam operates can be legal, but thats another story for another day.

Hopefully when you guys do strike it rich you won't go all IWNET on us LOL.

Once I get the patch I'll sign up for the beta and stop whining. Cheers!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri May 14, 2010 1:16 pm

SNFU wrote:I'm not even sure how steam operates can be legal, but thats another story for another day.

Out of curiosity, what would be illegal about Steam?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri May 14, 2010 1:40 pm

SNFU wrote:Once I get the patch I'll sign up for the beta and stop whining. Cheers!

I'm guessing that by the time you get the patch beta testing wont be needed since it's part of what needs beta testing. ;)
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Fri May 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Pyr0qvy wrote:Achievements in DEFCON? Possible foreshadowing of DEFCON on Xbox 360? Only time (or IV) will tell.

Oh God! the homophobic 8 year olds!

There was a rumour of PS3 version a wee while back...
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri May 14, 2010 3:52 pm

ynbniar wrote:There was a rumour of PS3 version a wee while back...

I'm pretty sure that has been confirmed.

No idea about its status though
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri May 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Xocrates wrote:
SNFU wrote:I'm not even sure how steam operates can be legal, but thats another story for another day.

While not illegal there's conflict of interest in regard to how Steam distributes and controls the price of games produced by companies that are in competition with Valve.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
SNFU
level1
level1

Postby SNFU » Fri May 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Xocrates wrote:

Well thats an interesting point really. Yes, I understand the TOS for about 90% of the games I play and agree to. I will cancel an order if I do not agree with what is being proposed.

I did not say that steam was illegal - I mentioned that I was not sure how it skirts the law.

Consider this:

*Introversion worked very hard on this game. Those of us who play it are dedicated and I guess a hardcore bunch. I have gotten quite a few of my friends to purchase this game and to this day we still get together from time to time and play. I run mine through my 52" TV when we get all nice and serious LOL.

*All of Introversions' hard work and customer dedication is kind of getting smeared right now because Steam is knowingly selling a product that they are 100% aware does not authenticate properly. Worse still, they do not inform customers that hoop jumping might be required in order to get a purchased product to function properly.

*Steam has a horrible track record with customer satisfaction and failing to deliver goods as advertised. We all know it. Eskimos do not eat whale blubber because it's tasty - they do it because it's the only thing at the arctic buffet. Steam is the only service that commands over 2 million users daily - people don't use it because it's the best or fastest service - they use it because it's the biggest.

*Introversion HAS to do something to get this game out there - or they're going to keep playing 'little guy'. DEFCON as it sits now is no where near what it could be - there is so much room for expansion and add ons it's not even funny. This game (and company) has moxy, rare in the world of EA's and Activisions. Sadly, teaming up with Steam is like selling your soul. When I say legal, I mean there's a huge difference between saying "hey, that's not right - better fix that before we offer it to 2 million people" and "go ahead, we know it's broken, but we'll handle it after we have everyone's money". Steam is FAMOUS for doing this - I think their quality control people really need to get much better at their jobs.

*So no, not illegal. But damn close and no where near in keeping with the spirit of what's being offered and delivered. Sadly, Introversion pays the price in the end because Steam truly doesn't give a shit. Steam = Walmart.

Return to “Introversion News”