Darwinia+ Trailer Launched

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Mark
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Darwinia+ Trailer Launched

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:14 pm

#######Update
If you want to get a high quality un-watermarked version you can grab it from here.

As you know it has been a long time coming, consumed all our resources (and I think it's fair to say caused us to neglect our hard-core fans a bit), but we finally have a launch date for Darwinia+ on Xbox Live Arcade. Microsoft wont let us announce the date just yet, but we'll get it to you as soon as we can. To celebrate this event we have just released the brand new trailer, head over to IGN to check it out.

Let us know what you think!
Last edited by Mark on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Great trailer! I do have one issue with it though...

It talks about "training" the Darwinians to fight, and then taking your tribe online. To me that seems to imply a role-playing/custom element to the game that really doesn't exist. I guess assigning upgrades in Darwinia is kinda like training, but the trailer makes it sound like the army you "train" offline can then be brought online. If I hadn't already played (and own) both games that would be how I'd have taken it, and I'd have been irritated when such wasn't the case.
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 pm

Well done guys - will be nice to see it in the real world!
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Re: Darwinia+ Trailer Launched

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Mark wrote:(and I think it's fair to say caused us to neglect our hard-core fans a bit)

You know what would make up for that? Inviting us round to HQ to play Darwinia+. :P
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 pm

That's a nice looking trailer you've got there.

Also, hi Byron.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:52 am

I agree with feud.
The idea of training your army is implied.
Im buying it just for darwinia :D
...so I'm assuming there will be no map editor in darwinia+....
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:00 am

Well, seeing that it is X-Box - prob not
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:11 am

elexis wrote:Well, seeing that it is X-Box - prob not

dammit.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:50 am

I never understand that attitude in xbox games. Darwinia maps aren't very large files, it would be quite feasible for a user to create a map, and for it to get shared to other players when they join the server.

Congratulations to the introversion guys (and girls)! I guess I'll be buying my third copy of darwinia and second of multiwinia soon ><
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:38 am

martin wrote:

I never understand that attitude in xbox games. Darwinia maps aren't very large files, it would be quite feasible for a user to create a map, and for it to get shared to other players when they join the server.

From what I gather, it's because of Microsoft's strict control on custom content that makes sharing extremely difficult, and provides a disincentive to bother.
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:55 am

wooooo! im so getting it
scottystreet
level1
level1

Postby scottystreet » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:59 am

hey - there all the same maps. you could have at least put some others in - and no mods - what??? well ill still get it.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:00 pm

jelco wrote:That does remind me, I wonder if I'll be able to make the Ladder hook into D+ games and/or its metaserver. That would be an interesting project.

Jelco

I doubt it, wouldn't they be run by Microsoft? Also, there wouldn't be any way to differentiate between players.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Wasgood wrote:
jelco wrote:That does remind me, I wonder if I'll be able to make the Ladder hook into D+ games and/or its metaserver. That would be an interesting project.

Jelco

I doubt it, wouldn't they be run by Microsoft? Also, there wouldn't be any way to differentiate between players.

I'd be willing to guess the servers will be listen servers and the game will probably not use the metaserver, but Microsoft's own. If you can see a way of extracting match information there, then sure. :P
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 pm

jelco wrote:Even if they're run by Microsoft I'm sure there's some way of obtaining the information.
For IV, perhaps, but not for us. XBL is a very, very black box. There's a chance they'll provide leaderboards via the TrueSkill system, which is similar enough to the Glicko the ladder uses (and a bit broken, too), but even those would only be available from within the game.

Return to “Introversion News”