The latest IV article on GamesIndustry.biz

The forum with all your Introversion News!
martinmir
level2
level2

The latest IV article on GamesIndustry.biz

Postby martinmir » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:17 pm

The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:41 pm

Regarding the content of the article;

I like the idea of opening up the development process and inviting people to read about it and learn about your games. It's a nice idea, and I hope it works out for you - it certainly seems to be attracting people to subversion.

However, can I just put it out there that the darwinia+ website, in my opinion, is really terrible. I don't know what was being gone for when it was created but, it's really not very nice at all. If that webpage is what you're relying on for the D+ marketing, I think you may be in trouble.

You're the people with the website statistics - is it working, are people looking at the site, and reading all the content? I personally find it to feel shoddily made (many url links don't even make sense, check the names on the IV profiles) with annoying navigation, a huge section of the webpage is just dead, wasted space (full screen on my PC, the title bar and darwinia+ logo and pictures takes up half of the window, and that's at 1920x1200) which you don't get moved past automatically (not that it should really even be there anyway). New content seems to just be dumped on the home page, where upon you click it and have no idea which section of the webpage it's from, leaving you glancing at the URL to try and work out what other articles would be similar to this, and what catagory it was in. Every page has what looks like an almost completely plaintext "leave a reply" section glued onto the bottom, which just looks tacky, really.

I can't see the webpage working how you'd like as it is currently - it just feels like there's no authorship, a lot of the sections appear to be fairly sporadic dumps of emails that don't actually contain any real information for people who want to learn about making games and those that do are usually a sequence of emails with only a few of them having their own sections, forcing the reader to effectively read part A, then part C, finding part B in the > reply section below C, and, there's nothing to identify to us what IS missing. There's not really anything to draw in the reader like there is with eg the IV blog, which're always written like the author has something on their mind that they want to tell people who don't know about the things they're doing and often have nice pictures to demonstrate, where as these emails are going between coders who're working full time on the project - a lot of the content just seems nearly random and pretty much inaccessable to me, if only because there isn't a little assistance in identifying for me what a lot of the content is and why I want to read it.
morkelkey
level0

Postby morkelkey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Hello Everyone,
Introversion, which is currently completing Darwinia+ for Xbox Live Arcade and documenting the process on its website, see honest and open communication.
Thanks
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:21 pm

..What?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:14 pm

A click to the profile should reveal this spambot has been banned/otherwise incapacitated.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Says he didn't complete registration, not that he was banned..

I dunno.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:59 pm

And prior to that the profile contained a Spam link.

So yeah, he was just kicked back into the aether
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:38 pm

I checked the profile before posting the first post, which is why I was confused :P
Artman40
level1
level1

Postby Artman40 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 am

But isn't a bit...unethical to sell something that could be represented as data and replicated very easily?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:50 pm

Artman40 wrote:But isn't a bit...unethical to sell something that could be represented as data and replicated very easily?

So... it is unethical to sell software? I am confused...

xander
Artman40
level1
level1

Postby Artman40 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:01 am

Oh...that was a half-joke.

Hey, is the fact that I haven't bought Multiwinia, made me even worse than those who have pirated it? Not only I haven't bought you any money, but also because of that the game is less popular you can't sue me for it.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 am

Artman40 wrote:But isn't a bit...unethical to sell something that could be represented as data and replicated very easily?

Lots of things are "easy" to copy once somebody else has already put forward the time, effort, resources, and sacrifice to create it.

Art, literature, music, software, machines, it's all very easy to copy if you have the right tools and someone or something to cheat off of.

Your post is silly.
tiro
level1
level1

Postby tiro » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:20 am

If IV gave away 1_000 or 5_000 copies of the game free, then at least those of us who bought copies would have someone to play with for a few days.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:00 pm

And why would they give away what people buying? Sure sales have dropped off, but that's true of almost everything at the moment in the current worldwide economic climate. If they just give away what some people are still buying they cut off their income, and eventually fold.

So as you see, not the best of ideas.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:32 pm

I really think a little more advertising is all UpDefWinia needs.

Return to “Introversion News”