DEFCON for DS!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:15 pm

If it has multiplayer voice chat would be posible (co-ordinating launches with allies, etc.) although it may not be a good idea. Comunication by doodling on the white board tool and leting allies veiw each others? It would be fun if that was so. I don't know if multiplayer would work out that well because of the fickleness of the DS's conection the long time a match usually takes would have a high chance to be disconected part way through.
[insert outrageously funny/insightful comment here]
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Very cool! I can finally dust off my old DS. It would be amazing if the PC players played with DS players.
Pwnbroker
level2
level2

Postby Pwnbroker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:15 am

Is the company name really "Bad Management"?

DS's are common at Pwnshops in the US. I would guess you could pick one up in most major cities for $35-$45.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:11 am

Dang, now I feel bad about my DS having broken shoulder buttons and a dislocated screen hinge. Maybe I should try picking up a Lite cheap.

The only issue I see here is that all of DEFCON's appeal (at least for me) is in the multiplayer, yet most of the time when I'd want to play a handheld (i.e. in transit) I don't have WLAN connectivity. :(
holdmykidney
level1
level1

Postby holdmykidney » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:37 am

this is great news!

I confess, somewhat controversially, that I rarely - if ever - can stomach sitting down to play games on PC and the chance to play Defcon on DS would be awesome.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:54 pm

I forgot to mention, I would have bet any money on an iPhone version before a DS version.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
RagingLion
level1
level1

Postby RagingLion » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:44 pm

I hope DEFCON on the DS proves a success for Introversion. It seems pretty hard to predict what will really click with the DS install base even though it is so large - it's demographic is pretty different to that of previous handhelds. I know third-party developers don't always do so great in terms of sales.

Hopefully, there's lots of people just waiting for a streamlined RTS experience. In terms of it's minimalism in terms of gameplay and aesthetically DEFCON seems a good match for the DS. Just make sure to make it really user friendly with some great tutorials to draw people in and with luck you'll have huge success

...my 2 cents.
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Now do an XBLA version! *runs and hides*
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:25 am

Greeba wrote:Now do an XBLA version! *runs and hides*

I would have seen that coming before a DS version.
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:02 pm

I don't like it. Defcon on the PC is fine for me. Give me a reason to buy it, and I'll see, but right now, Defcon on the DS doesn't appeal. I HAVE a port of Myst on the DS. It sucks a lot, due to poor control. I don't want to know what sort of control/gameplay changes will need to occur for this to work. Sorry.

EDIT: Scratch the deleted part, the DSi doesn't have different games than the DS. I thought it was going to have a new line of cartridges. Oops.
disappointed pony
level1
level1

Postby disappointed pony » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:59 pm

I love Defcon on the PC (when the server is working hihi). The DS version does interest me, but how about an iPhone version?

eh?eh?
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:57 am

disappointed pony wrote:I love Defcon on the PC (when the server is working hihi). The DS version does interest me, but how about an iPhone version?

eh?eh?

Okay, as long as you promise not to tell anyone...

We made an iPhone version but unknown to us Apple have built into the iPhone SDK a kind of Apple only backdoor whereby all the Apps talk to Apple to let them know what has been run, by who and where - supposedly some kind of anti-jail break measure. Anyway, when we finally finished the game and it was undergoing testing something horrible happened, the following appeared on the screen:

'Do you want to play a game?'

This was okay except there was the sound of falling bricks coming from Icepick as he had realized what had happened. Turns out that his AI was too good. It had cottoned onto this backdoor API and had spread to all the other iPhones in the world and had formed a sort of distributed intelligence and after it had managed that it hacked into NORAD and was actually going to start playing Defcon with some real Nukes. Needless to say we turned the iPhone off pretty sharpish but not before Mark in his infinite curiosity had managed to deploy a few subs in key locations around the UK and was about to Nuke London (hey, he's a CEO - they are not renowned for smart thinking).

So the upshot is that the Defcon iPhone project is dead at the moment until Icepick learns to make dumb AI. Oh, and if you own an iPhone - do us a favour and turn it off for 30 seconds to purge the memory.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:01 am

Byron wrote: Oh, and if you own an iPhone - do us a favour and turn it off for 30 seconds to purge the memory.

And then step on it, really hard with a nice boot.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:44 am

Byron wrote:
disappointed pony wrote:I love Defcon on the PC (when the server is working hihi). The DS version does interest me, but how about an iPhone version?

eh?eh?

Okay, as long as you promise not to tell anyone...

We made an iPhone version but unknown to us Apple have built into the iPhone SDK a kind of Apple only backdoor whereby all the Apps talk to Apple to let them know what has been run, by who and where - supposedly some kind of anti-jail break measure. Anyway, when we finally finished the game and it was undergoing testing something horrible happened, the following appeared on the screen:

'Do you want to play a game?'

This was okay except there was the sound of falling bricks coming from Icepick as he had realized what had happened. Turns out that his AI was too good. It had cottoned onto this backdoor API and had spread to all the other iPhones in the world and had formed a sort of distributed intelligence and after it had managed that it hacked into NORAD and was actually going to start playing Defcon with some real Nukes. Needless to say we turned the iPhone off pretty sharpish but not before Mark in his infinite curiosity had managed to deploy a few subs in key locations around the UK and was about to Nuke London (hey, he's a CEO - they are not renowned for smart thinking).

So the upshot is that the Defcon iPhone project is dead at the moment until Icepick learns to make dumb AI. Oh, and if you own an iPhone - do us a favour and turn it off for 30 seconds to purge the memory.

Awesome. But still PSP version? (There would'nt even have to be a distibuter Sony has digital distribution these days.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:21 am

Byron wrote:...but not before Mark in his infinite curiosity had managed to deploy a few subs in key locations around the UK and was about to Nuke London (hey, he's a CEO - they are not renowned for smart thinking).

Well, I suppose that explains the recent submarine collision. ;)

xander

Return to “Introversion News”