Defcon pirate key abuse

The forum with all your Introversion News!
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:14 pm

Culex wrote:Here are three possiblities why:
1. The parents are against (such) games and don't permit buy.
2. In germany nobody wants to pay for something. It's in their heads.
3. The person needs every cent for something more important, like a car.

Not convinced. What's the bet this gamer who "needs every cent" and "doesn't want to pay for things" nevertheless buys mainstream games?

Culex wrote:Additionally, i forgot to add, that i hate pirating, it's very lame. Because nobody will run into a store and take a GameBoy, goes out and don't pay for it, or?

U WULDN'T STEEL A HANDBAG!!!1!
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Culex
level1
level1

Postby Culex » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:28 pm

KingAl wrote:Not convinced. What's the bet this gamer who "needs every cent" and "doesn't want to pay for things" nevertheless buys mainstream games?

Germany has really the think-wise of low-cost. This is thought for situations, where truly no other things will be buyed. If he/she buys mainstream games or software, it's something other. THEN it's complete unfair.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:40 pm

KingAl wrote:
Culex wrote:Additionally, i forgot to add, that i hate pirating, it's very lame. Because nobody will run into a store and take a GameBoy, goes out and don't pay for it, or?

At least when your downloading something for free it isn't "funding terrorism"!

People who claim they "can't afford it" or "doesn't whant to buy it" are either lying or are retarded. People who can't afford it generally can with EASE. People who don't want to buy it are cheap fuckers. If they don't want to pay, they shouldn't play it! Unfortunately these people don't understand that not buying enjoyable games means that soon, there won't be any enjoyable games whatsoever.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:04 pm

RabidZombie wrote:
KingAl wrote:

At least when your downloading something for free it isn't "funding terrorism"!

People who claim they "can't afford it" or "doesn't whant to buy it" are either lying or are retarded. People who can't afford it generally can with EASE. People who don't want to buy it are cheap fuckers. If they don't want to pay, they shouldn't play it! Unfortunately these people don't understand that not buying enjoyable games means that soon, there won't be any enjoyable games whatsoever.

I've always equated paying for a game to the time I get back from it. I've played defcon for so many hours, that even it it had costed me 6x what it did, it'd be a bargain.
(Mind you, with my new server & second key, I'm well on the way of "making it up" :lol: ).

Also when I spent entire days on the internet (erhm I still do, but for professional reasons) I downloaded a lot. Now I can afford games easily, and don't want to go through the pain of hunting down a good download, rearrange the rars/zips/whatevers etc .
Some games still feel like I, the customer, am getting ripped off. I like quality, but I like quantity as well. Fable is a good example of an xbox game which failed to deliver ; that cost 65EUR when I got it, and I finished it in 13 hours (not rushing, reading everything, taking nearly all sidequests (may have missed 1-2 at most due to some evil actions undertaken during the course of the game).
Likewise Steel Battalion for xbox was a very insanely expensive game (250EUR) but the joy and hours I've spent on it make up for that.

Games I've never bought, and likely never will: any FPS. Ranging from Wolfenstein 3D, over Doom, to quake to Max Payne to Unreal tournament to whatever, I just can't bring myself to paying for an FPS (because I play it mainly to go "ooh woow.Shiny." for a small moment and then discard it).

If you buy defcon and only play 3 times, it's already cheaper then going to the movies ... ;)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:30 pm

Culex wrote:I don't want to push the thread, but, you have said, you can't understand why people do this.

Here are three possiblities why:
1. The parents are against (such) games and don't permit buy.
2. In germany nobody wants to pay for something. It's in their heads.
3. The person needs every cent for something more important, like a car.

Only to say.
I don't pirate IV games, only play the demo. REST REMOVED

Those are all horrible reasons. I'll vent on them based upon thier assigned number.

1. Here's an idea, if your parents won't allow you to buy the game then you shouldn't be playing it. So long as you live under their roof you are under their rules, and they have a right to control the media content coming into their home.

2. That is a load of nonsense. I'm pretty sure that if I were to wander into a Levi's store in Berlin and wander out with a pair of jeans that I owuld quickly find that there are a very large number of people who disagree with your remark.

3. This is the worst excuse of all of them. "I only stole it becuase I didn't want to pay for it." No kidding, and here I was thinking that they stole it becuse they wanted to pay for it. It reminds me of teh argument Homer Simpson once used, "Let me set the record straight, I thought that the cop was a prostitute.

This argument also assigns arbitrary values to property, while ignoring the economics behind it. Let's say the person wants a car, so they think that it is better to steal from a company with nine employees then from one with tens (perhaps hundreds) of thousands? Which company, and be extension individual, will feel the greater loss?

Really, the only person who would actually use any of those arguments is nothing more then a pathetic, petty thief. This combined with thier flagrant disregard for others warrents, in my book, a horse whipping.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:32 pm

I think it all comes down to ethics. Even with expensive games, rip-off or not it is illegal and inethical to steal it. I can't accept any excuse to the contrary.

I think some people download games for the same reason a highschool student might mess with the school's computers. They do it because they can.

wwarnick
MrDictionary
level2
level2

Postby MrDictionary » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:20 am

NeoThermic wrote:It should come up as "KEY REVOKED". Infact, if I've still got my old beta key lying about, I'll give it a quick go and tell you what a revoked key will say...

Takes ya back, don't it? :P
majingray
level2
level2

Re: Defcon pirate key abuse

Postby majingray » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:21 am

Chris wrote:We've taken some steps to ban a small number of Defcon keys that were in wide usage illegally. After looking at our logs we noticed that just five keys we're in use by around 10,000 gamers, so we've put a stop to that now. If your key stopped working today then we're sorry, and we'd like to request that you now pay for the game you've been enjoying all this time.

If you are one of the five who actually owns the keys that are in widespread use, well we don't really want to hear from you. The two of you who were Steam users have had their steam userID and email reported to valve for abuse.

Defcon key abuse is actually pretty rare - those five keys account for something like 90% of the pirate copies of Defcon. This means the vast majority of our players are fair paying customers, and we thank you all for that.

NICE 1 CHRIS!

personly i think Introversion is a compony to invest £10 in for a game well worth playing.

shame i was rubbish at Defcon during the freeplay weekend.

it will probbly be a game i buy but never play, however i do look forward to mulitiplayer darwinia.

Untill then i will enjoy Uplink.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:22 pm

FACT wrote:You wouldn't steal a handbag...

You wouldn't steal a car...

You wouldn't steal a DVD...

PIRACY IS THEFT

THEFT IS ILLEGAL

I hate that advert.
Eat_The_Path
level1
level1

Postby Eat_The_Path » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:56 pm

Since someone else necromancied this thread, I thought I'd proved some contribution to it. While I don't agree with the pirates, I an frequently compelled to play devil's advocate, so here goes. Some arguments have been presented and shot down as to why piracy can be okay. There is an argument that I don't believe has been advanced. In theft of physical goods, there are two things that happen. First off, you deprive a person of something they already have. In an example given above, a pair of jeans. You also deprive them of something they could have had, money in exchange for the jeans. In the case of piracy, you only deprive them of something they could have had, money from the sale of the game to you, but you are not preventing them from selling it to anyone else. You are not depriving the of something they already have. So the argument could be made that software piracy is slightly less despicable than is theft. It's still pretty bad though, except in abandonware situations.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:11 pm

Abandonware?
Eat_The_Path
level1
level1

Postby Eat_The_Path » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:28 pm

Abandonware is a term used for software that is no longer sold or supported by anyone. As an example, if IV went under tomorrow, god forbid, and the metaserver responsible for authenticating your Defcon client and setting up multiplayer games vanished, and no company picked up the responsibility, then Defcon would be abandonware. I am sure you would see people working to crack the game and get around the lack of a metaserver immediately, something that now would be denounced as evil piracy, but then would be lauded by many, myself included, as a heroic effort to save a great game from oblivion. Some would still decry it as evil and nasty and immoral.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:36 pm

Google is your friend. I know it is a little hard to spell, so I will help you out here: h-t-t-p-colon-slash-slash-g-o-o-g-l-e-dot-c-o-m

xander

EDIT: Aw... Eat_The_Path decided to be nice. :(
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:44 pm

You wouldn't steal a boat.

You wouldn't bury your valuables in your backyard.

You wouldn't cut of your leg and have it replaced by a wooden one.

You're not a pirate!

stealing movies be piracy, arrr !!!!

(source for that one: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/usc3) (go and watch it has another cool skit on piracy: guy dowloads movies and is like: now i'm a real might pirates. suddenly a bunch of ninjas appear)

it isn't piracy it's sharing. it's basicly the same as borowing the game to some friends only on a bit larger scale.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:49 pm

zjoere wrote:it isn't piracy it's sharing. it's basicly the same as borowing the game to some friends only on a bit larger scale.

Except you don't know who your "friend" is, and you don't have to give it back.

Return to “Introversion News”