DEFCON Lan tournament + £10,000 prizes!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
vic
level2
level2

DEFCON Lan tournament + £10,000 prizes!

Postby vic » Thu May 24, 2007 11:56 am

We're delighted to announce the launch of a 3-month DEFCON Lan tournament taking place in iGUK centres throughout the UK. The Grand Final, to be confirmed for late August, will be amBX-enabled, making it one of the most visually immersive game spectacles of the year, and hosted in the world's largest dedicated gaming centre, Omega Sektor, due to be opened in Birmingham this June. The makers of amBX gaming peripherals, Philips Electronics and Logitech have kindly stepped in to help us put together a stunning prize fund of the latest hardware and software, worth an incredible £10,000!

The league will begin this Saturday, 26th May and continue for 12 weeks - for instructions on how to register head over to http://www.iguk.org/?a=ffa50saturday. You can sign up for the league at any point during the 12 weeks and you don't have to sign up each week to be in with a chance of making it to the Grand Final. Each week participants will be randomly selected via a Frag Lotto to win £50!

If after the 12 weeks you finish within the 30 top-scorers you will be invited to attend the Grand Final at the new Omega Sektor, where you are guaranteed to receive an MPMan MP3 player and complete Introversion game-pack just for turning up! And as if that wasn't enough, we'll also be putting £20 towards your travelling expenses. :D

Here's the prize list and finals structure:

1/4 final: (30 gamers)

6 Games of 5 Players with the Top 2 Players Going through to the Semi's.

1/4 Finalist Winners:
All 12 players to go through receive a PC Wireless pad with docking receiver.

Semi Finals: (12 players)

6 Games of 2 Players with the Winner of each going through to the Final.

Semi Finalist Winners:
Top 6 scorers win a 19" Philips Multimedia Monitor

The Final: (6 players)

1 Game of 6 Players

Finalist Winners:
Top 3 players (1st, 2nd, 3rd) win Logitech G15 keyboards, Logitech G5 mice and Logitech X-540s speakers & a premium amBX kit + amBX games.
1st Prize - Philips 50" Ambilight Plasma screen

For those unable to attend the Grand Final, former professional gamer Sujoy Roy will be on hand to provide online commentary and live streaming of tournament over the internet, so you can watch and listen to the event from home.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu May 24, 2007 12:05 pm

Very cool. Hopefully it will bring the extra exposure that I presume it is intended to garner.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu May 24, 2007 12:10 pm

I saw some IGUK games being played a few months ago?
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Thu May 24, 2007 1:23 pm

Very cool :D
Though "30 top scorers" seems a slightly weird way to choose the 30 best players.

Edit: That said, it'd be cooler if I didn't work until half 5 every saturday :(
Last edited by estel on Thu May 24, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Thu May 24, 2007 1:27 pm

Hmmm...Mrs ynbniar isn't keen on DefCon as it is.

Saying "I'm away out to a CyberCafe to play DefCon" is likely to result in more than just a frosty stare.

:(

p.s.
Will bert_the_turtle be allowed in? :wink:

p.p.s.
Will "The Shinybonsai Maneouvre" be allowed? :wink: :wink:
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu May 24, 2007 1:30 pm

ynbniar wrote:Saying "I'm away out to a CyberCafe to play DefCon" is likely to result in more than just a frosty stare.

How about "I'm away out to a CyberCafe where I could win enough money to buy Luxembourg"?
Last edited by KingAl on Thu May 24, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
zkl
level2
level2
Location: (zkl aka bonsai), Doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby zkl » Thu May 24, 2007 1:42 pm

did you consider to host an official online tournament ?
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Thu May 24, 2007 1:44 pm

KingAl wrote:
ynbniar wrote:Saying "I'm away out to a CyberCafe to play DefCon" is likely to result in more than just a frosty stare.

How about "I'm away out to a CyberCafe where I could win enough money to buy Luxembourg?"

Mrs ynbniar has seen me play...she knows I'd be lucky to win my bus fare home. :wink:
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:50 pm

The rules note that:
iGUK.org wrote:All players must register by 16.45 on the website using our normal registration system. Then at 16.45 players will be allocated a game to join from the signup list, the person who is first in the game fixture hosts, please use the Password and Game Name provided so that others in the game can easily find it. Players then load DEFCON & go online, please make sure you use the Nickname you signed up with (they should match otherwise you could get 0 score!). Once logged on please note there is just one big lobby, where all iGUK DEFCON Participants can make & find their games. At 17:00 the match should start, which is setup with the settings chosen for that week.
Indicating that games are played online - so you don;t have to attend a centre.

Their ladder system is confusing...
All players that win their match get 8 FFA tickets.
All players that come second get 6 FFA tickets.
All players that come third get 5 FFA tickets.
All players that come fourth get 4 FFA tickets.
All players that come fifth get 3 FFA tickets.
All players than come last get 2 FFA tickets.
If we have an odd no. of players & no last minute player was available to make the numbers add up, then there will be a game or two with less players than the total usual 6.
In the event that someone doesn't show up 5mins after the start time then the host after getting confirmation from the Admin should start the game regardless.
In the event that a game can't start due to connection trouble & centres have tried to resolve the problem, everyone has tried hosting & no 3rd party is available then the players will get 1 ticket each.
At the end of the night all players that took part that day have their ladder scores allocated into tickets, this includes previous scores from previous weeks the player has participated in that particular season. One of these tickets will then be chosen at random and the player with that ticket will win £50.
Example
Player X earned a Win in Week 1, he receives 8 tickets for that weeks draw.
Player Y earned a 3rd place in Week 2, he had also played in Week 1 where he earned a Win, he receives 13 tickets.
Player Z earned a 5th in Week 3, he hadn't played in any previous weeks, he earns 3 tickets.

The way it seems to me:
You sign up and get a 'ticket'
Each time you play, points are added to the ticket depending on your position (i.e: the more games you play, the better...) But, by the looks of things - this is already Week 3...
Test Week (05/05/07)
Week 1 (12/05/07)
Week 2 (19/05/07)
Week 3 (26/05/07)
Week 4 (02/06/07)
Week 5 (09/06/07)
Week 6 (16/06/07)
Week 7 (23/06/07)
Week 8 (30/06/07)
Week 9 (07/07/07)
Week 10 (14/07/07)
Week 11 (21/07/07)
Week 12 (28/07/07)

The top 30 in the ladder (here: http://www.iguk.org/?a=vgalffa&season=131 ) get invited to the semi-finals and finals in Birmingham...

I'm in, I'll see what happens on Saturday...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
vic
level2
level2

Postby vic » Thu May 24, 2007 2:27 pm

Yes - apologies for the confusion, the dates of the tournament currently displayed on the iGUK pages are out-of-date and are being changed as we speak. But just to reiterate, the tournament begins this Saturday 26th!
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Thu May 24, 2007 2:28 pm

Their website does confuse me - whilst it implies the games are online, and you don't have to be at a centre... it also implies the converse. I'd guess that the latter is correct, but I hope not.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu May 24, 2007 2:33 pm

ynbniar wrote:p.s.
Will bert_the_turtle be allowed in? :wink:

I'm guessing we'll all have to be running 'vanilla' Defcon, if it's held at the centre. Otherwise, it could turn very nasty :\

ynbniar wrote:p.p.s.
Will "The Shinybonsai Maneouvre" be allowed? :wink: :wink:

Got a ring to it, hasn't it, that name? ;p

I'm not sure. On the surface, it probably shouldn't, but there's still a matter of skill to score the highest, so it probably wouldn't be as devastating as a "bert" would be. ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

vic
level2
level2

Postby vic » Thu May 24, 2007 2:56 pm

Yes, you will need to be within a gaming centre to take part.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu May 24, 2007 3:13 pm

vic wrote:Yes, you will need to be within a gaming centre to take part.

That and the Saturday will keep me out of it. :Cry:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:34 pm

Ah, ok, their 'site was confusing...

I'm quite tempted, even though the Shepherd's Bush centre is a good hour or so tube journey...
That being said, most of the previous entrants were in Nottingham...

Any other Londoners here considering it?
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.

Return to “Introversion News”