Darwinia Vista version released

The forum with all your Introversion News!
User avatar
Nordmann
level0
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:39 pm
Location: Karlsruhe - Germany
Contact:

Re: Darwinia Vista version released

Postby Nordmann » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:11 pm

Chris wrote:...we plan to make a Darwinia patch available to everyone that encorporates all the new features and enhancements we've written.

Are these just plans or is this decided yet? :)

I'm going to buy Darwinia via Steam, would u provide the update there aswell?
Greetz,
Nord
User avatar
timonator
level2
level2
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:03 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Darwinia Vista version released

Postby timonator » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:21 pm

Chris wrote:- Porting of the Darwinia graphics system from OpenGL to DirectX has enabled new and enhanced visual effects, for example, screen warping explosion effects, reflective water, and Darwinian soul 'auras'.


don't tell me this would not have been possible using OpenGL!
User avatar
prophile
level5
level5
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact:

Postby prophile » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:31 pm

Certainly would have been possible using OpenGL. I think that this is a bit of a step backwards for IV.
User avatar
frenchfrog
level5
level5
Posts: 2572
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Quebec

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:42 pm

Once again, I guess to be in the Vista deal you had to use Directx since OpenGL drivers for Vista are currently quite flacky.

In fact, I would say that it could be a good thing for IV, now they could release their next games with support for OpenGL and Directx and you choose what's run best for you. (Like in the good old days with games like Unreal, Half-Life, ...) Also, it could perhaps open the Xbox or Xbox 360 to their games.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Darksun
level5
level5
Posts: 6461
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:08 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Postby Darksun » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:10 pm

prophile wrote:Certainly would have been possible using OpenGL. I think that this is a bit of a step backwards for IV.


To qualify for the 'Games for Windows' thing, you need to be using DirectX rather than OpenGL. Introversion may port some of the new effects to OpenGL, at some point in the future, but the deals with Microsoft will mean more money = more games in the future. I don't see this as Introversion 'selling out' just yet, but naturally as they become more successful, they'll be less 'indie'.
User avatar
prophile
level5
level5
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact:

Postby prophile » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:23 pm

To clarify this, I love IV. Always have. IV's games are new and innovative. But looking back: Uplink came out for Windows, Linux, and (later) Mac. Then Darwinia, Windows and then Mac and Linux a short while afterwards. Then Uplink was upgraded, no Mac UB or new version in sight - Defcon's Mac port seems to be at a standstill and the Linux version seems not to be even in sight. On the other hand, IV now seems to have devoted themselves to Windows-specific stuff - I may be wrong but this just seems like a bit of a kick in the teeth to their fans on the Mac, or Linux side of things.
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:40 pm

prophile wrote:To clarify this, I love IV. Always have. IV's games are new and innovative. But looking back: Uplink came out for Windows, Linux, and (later) Mac. Then Darwinia, Windows and then Mac and Linux a short while afterwards. Then Uplink was upgraded, no Mac UB or new version in sight - Defcon's Mac port seems to be at a standstill and the Linux version seems not to be even in sight. On the other hand, IV now seems to have devoted themselves to Windows-specific stuff - I may be wrong but this just seems like a bit of a kick in the teeth to their fans on the Mac, or Linux side of things.


This is because you're not looking at the full picture. The linux/mac versions of Defcon hit hitches that arise when you trust floating point calculations done on different platforms with different compilers. Thing is, the changes to make it work require a huge amount of testing, hence why targets have been missed.

As for Uplink, IV do not own the rights to make a Mac port of the changes. They have to deal with Ambrosia, the holders of the rights. Thats why the changes have not been ported over.

It might look like a kick in the teeth, but it isn't, there's just problems. I can assure you that work is being done on solving them :)

(As a side note, I hope IV can try standing on their own legs WRT the mac version of subversion, as it would be great).

NeoThermic
User avatar
prophile
level5
level5
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact:

Postby prophile » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:44 pm

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:09 pm

NeoThermic wrote:As for Uplink, IV do not own the rights to make a Mac port of the changes. They have to deal with Ambrosia, the holders of the rights. Thats why the changes have not been ported over.

I'm not sure that it is even that simple -- wouldn't they have to deal with Contraband, as well? ASW only published Uplink, Contraband did the port.

xander
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:14 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:As for Uplink, IV do not own the rights to make a Mac port of the changes. They have to deal with Ambrosia, the holders of the rights. Thats why the changes have not been ported over.

I'm not sure that it is even that simple -- wouldn't they have to deal with Contraband, as well? ASW only published Uplink, Contraband did the port.

xander


If contraband did the port, then it is with them, not the publisher. Either way the DevCD licence is clear on what you can't port to:

2.3) Without the express written permission of Introversion, you will not distribute, in any format any version of the program targeted on "PocketPC", "PalmOS", any other PDA Operating System, "GameCube", "Gameboy" (including "Gameboy Advanced"), "Microsoft X-box", "Sony Playstation", any other game console, Macintosh or any other platforms other than Microsoft Windows (for the PC) or Linux.


The Macintosh platform is clearly listed.

NeoThermic
User avatar
Kadayi
level1
level1
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:37 am

Postby Kadayi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:47 pm

GJ IV being Vista ready. Hopefully you'll net a few converts as a result and help pay towards the development of Subversion.

Have to say that I'm a pretty annoyed with the MS pricing of Vista worldwide. There is such a clear disparity (pretty much double the cost) between the rest of the world (RotW) and the US one can't help but feel that MS are using the RoTW to subsidise the US release. I was quite keen on getting it, but I think I'll hold out until the prices become more realistic in a few months or so.
elDiablo
level5
level5
Posts: 3111
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:23 pm
Location: London, UK

Postby elDiablo » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:12 pm

Nice! And Congrats!
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
User avatar
Flamekebab
level5
level5
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:39 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Postby Flamekebab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:59 pm

I hope linux support continues to be a staple of all IV games.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Vista with a very long pole.
A remote controlled long pole.
Operated from a different continent.

However, the merits of being easily accessible to many users should do IV good. I hope things continue to go well, guys.
User avatar
Atomos
level1
level1
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:42 am
Location: 52°26'56.60"N 9°44'16.00"E

Postby Atomos » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:55 am

Flamekebab wrote:Personally, I wouldn't touch Vista with a very long pole.
A remote controlled long pole.
Operated from a different continent.


Yeah, exactly like the instruments of Desaster Area, which are played remotely from a spaceship in an orbit around another planet... :wink:

Thomas
User avatar
deltantor
level2
level2
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:46 pm

Postby deltantor » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:06 pm

i was one of the vista beta testers, of RC3, and it was horrid, it had some cool features but personally i will never touch vista again....

Return to “Introversion News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests