DEFCON Tournament underway

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Zarkow
level4
level4

Postby Zarkow » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:16 am

The reports are in the tournament-forum and I assume they might be released later on.

In anyway, I have to say, even though I had my worst game ever in terms of score (first in many months I ended up in last place), it was more fun and exiting then usual due to the shifting game-play and dynamic usage of alliances. When your having fun even though your loosing, then it's a fun session. :D
BiG D
level2
level2

Postby BiG D » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:37 pm

I'll happily repost my account of round 1 game 3 here if I get the ok, don't want to say something I shouldn't. Otherwise, I'll post it on the 29th if people still want to see it :)

And yes, poor Zarkow. In that third screenshot, you can see my subs moving towards him (North America) from the south. The resulting slaughter sealed him securely in last place. I'd feel bad if this wasn't war ;)
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:37 pm

When exactly is the final match being played? If you put it after 6:00PM GMT, then maybe some of us will be able to join in as spectators. I would really want to see how well the "pros" play.

By the way, what is the biggest possible number of spectators?
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:50 pm

if you are playing with tournament rules, 10
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:07 pm

mibias wrote:if you are playing with tournament rules, 10
Ok that's for tournament's max, but what about the "biggest possible"?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:22 pm

"Unlimited" is the max possible.

Would it be possible to set specs higher than 10 for the final match? it looks like it'll be held after the release date of the game, and I imagine there will be lots of paying customers who will want to see it.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Hmuda
level3
level3

Postby Hmuda » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:26 pm

xyzyxx wrote:"Unlimited" is the max possible.
Thanks. :) ˇ
xyzyxx wrote:Would it be possible to set specs higher than 10 for the final match? it looks like it'll be held after the release date of the game, and I imagine there will be lots of paying customers who will want to see it.
Exactly what I was thinking about. I don't think that it would be hard to set up the game with the tournament rules, only making the spectator slots more numerous.
Avenged
level2
level2

Postby Avenged » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:28 pm

I would be up for watching the final. I thought it was going to be on release day? Would be great to get the game at 6pm then be able to watch someone actually playing it to a good standard early on. It would give us non beta testers a better idea of what we need to achieve :-)
Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:34 pm

Problem is that it would put alot of strain on the server, especially if people started to try and join partway through the match. It could cause alot of lag. (Infact, whether or not the spectator limit is risen, I would suggest that just before the game commences a password is put on the server to prevent people from joining to spectate partway through).
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:04 pm

Good idea r.e. the passwords... tbh, considering how tempermental the server was when there were only 8ish specs, I'd be hesitant to open up the server to the hoards of people that will be on the game at 6PM GMT on Friday. Esp. when they see the name "DEFCON Tournament Final" in the server name :P
DrDemento
level2
level2

Postby DrDemento » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:01 am

I'm sure some people would be interested in watching a movie of the final... Couldn't you just slap it into Youtube?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:37 am

I don't think they would appreciate a two hour video of that resolution.
[E]psilon
level1
level1

Postby [E]psilon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:14 am

People appreciate the boom of 'zomg teh team guarding the us just got poooned by the russkies lololololol' instead of being able to see every single thing stated in the chat. :P
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 pm

But spectator chat is where the real backstabbing goes!
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:48 pm

i demand a video of a tournament game.
now.

There is a video of Martin's posted on google video. Search 'defcon' and its on the second or third page.

[Edit: It is a terrible resoultion, but here is the link: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 5&q=defcon

It also appears to be only the bottom quarter or so of the screen as all the text is cut off.]

Also, is there any word on how we will be able to sign up and how the tournaments will be organised when the game is out? Presuming that IV are going to organise some. Maybe even a date for the first if we are lucky :).

[Further Edit: What about team tournaments, where defecting is impossible and you and a friend battle versus other teams for world domination? Or maybe you r teamate is randomly selected? There are a lot of cool possibilities. It would be quite cool to know just how far IV are going to go with regard to tournament organising :)]
Last edited by FinnG on Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finn

Return to “Introversion News”