Beta Testing began today

The forum with all your Introversion News!
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:40 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:You'll rarley get instant gratification from any job you do. To be satisified with anything enough to get gratification takes time.

NeoThermic

I don't know about that -- in teaching, the best gratification is the long term, look-at-what-this-kid-can-do kind. Watching a group of kids learn to read, starting in kindergarten, and knowing that you have something to do with that. However, there are a lot of opportunities for instant gratification, too -- seeing a lightbulb going off in a kid's head for instance -- one minute they don't understand something, and the next they do. I suppose it could be argued that this, too, is delayed, but it seems very immediate.

xander


This, though, is the exact same thing you'll see when making a game. You start with nothing but an idea, and it is the long term that is the gratification. Watching a group of functions as you add code to them starting from program begin and knowing that you have something to do with that. As you add code you can also have "instant gratification" too -- seeing your character on screen or finishing a full round of a game while it is still in development is amazing.

If you step back for a second you'll see that there's a few similarities in teaching to programming. ;)

NeoThermic
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:12 pm

NeoThermic wrote:This, though, is the exact same thing you'll see when making a game. You start with nothing but an idea, and it is the long term that is the gratification. Watching a group of functions as you add code to them starting from program begin and knowing that you have something to do with that. As you add code you can also have "instant gratification" too -- seeing your character on screen or finishing a full round of a game while it is still in development is amazing.

If you step back for a second you'll see that there's a few similarities in teaching to programming. ;)

NeoThermic

I'm sure there are. I'm just better at teaching than I am at coding :)

xander
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:23 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:If you step back for a second you'll see that there's a few similarities in teaching to programming. ;)

NeoThermic

I'm sure there are. I'm just better at teaching than I am at coding :)

xander


Ahh, but are you? Have you ever really sat down for 8 hours with the determination to code? ;)

NeoThermic
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:32 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Ahh, but are you? Have you ever really sat down for 8 hours with the determination to code? ;)

NeoThermic

I don't know enough code to even attempt that. I understand the satisfaction of making something work -- there are a couple of things in Insurrection that made me almost euphoric when I figured them out, but Insurrection was completed over the course of almost 9 months. If I had to sit down and work on something like that for 8 hours a day, I would go crazy.

Again, none of this is to suggest that others don't get pleasure out of coding. Different people get pleasure from different things -- I like what I do, and I assume that Chris likes what he does. I couldn't do what Chris does, and I don't think that he would be happy doing what I do.

xander
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:43 pm

xander wrote:I couldn't do what Chris does, and I don't think that he would be happy doing what I do.


I've a feeling that should Chris ever have to teach your class, he would just let them play Darwinia...

NeoThermic
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:45 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:I couldn't do what Chris does, and I don't think that he would be happy doing what I do.


I've a feeling that should Chris ever have to teach your class, he would just let them play Darwinia...

NeoThermic

I've been trying very hard to come up with a way to make Darwinia educational... ;)

xander
User avatar
Soulkeeper
level3
level3
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:04 pm
Location: Dorset, UK
Contact:

Postby Soulkeeper » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:25 pm

Hmm, wouldn't have minded getting in on the Defcon tests. Bah, stupid lack of Net connection...oh, and its nice to be back, btw :-D Now, back to the void, as I am at work and will probably get into trouble if I stay on here too long.
- I see your destiny, I control your fate. I am the Guardian Soulkeeper. -
tuxsmouf
level0
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:25 pm

Postby tuxsmouf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi, defcon is a kind of games I was looking for.
I'm actually a Linux user so if you need someone to test it in a linux platform, I'd be happy to do it :D .

Here's my specs :

Proc : Athlon XP 2600+ (running at 1,3GHZ for overgeating issues)
RAM : 448 MO
Video card : ATI Radeon 320 IGP 64 MO (shared with RAM)
O/S : Gentoo Linux


have a nice day :wink:
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:33 pm

tuxsmouf wrote:Hi, defcon is a kind of games I was looking for.
I'm actually a Linux user so if you need someone to test it in a linux platform, I'd be happy to do it :D .

Here's my specs :

Proc : Athlon XP 2600+ (running at 1,3GHZ for overgeating issues)
RAM : 448 MO
Video card : ATI Radeon 320 IGP 64 MO (shared with RAM)
O/S : Gentoo Linux


have a nice day :wink:

I would suggest that you send your application here.

xander
tuxsmouf
level0
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:25 pm

Postby tuxsmouf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:40 pm

xander wrote:
tuxsmouf wrote:Hi, defcon is a kind of games I was looking for.
I'm actually a Linux user so if you need someone to test it in a linux platform, I'd be happy to do it :D .

Here's my specs :

Proc : Athlon XP 2600+ (running at 1,3GHZ for overgeating issues)
RAM : 448 MO
Video card : ATI Radeon 320 IGP 64 MO (shared with RAM)
O/S : Gentoo Linux


have a nice day :wink:

I would suggest that you send your application here.

xander


Thanks. It's done. :wink:
User avatar
TheToyMaker
level1
level1
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:17 pm
Contact:

Postby TheToyMaker » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:12 am

Chris wrote:
xander wrote:It probably did not take that whole time to produce -- a level like Demo2 could easily be made by an experienced modder in a day, though we must also assume that some extra time was needed to add the code required for the rocket.


And with that comment, Chris falls over and dies.

No, it took three months of solid work to complete.

If there is a modder out there who can produce Demo2 in a day, we would like to hire them immediately and pay them a handsome salary.


what about someone who can debug 1000 to 1500 lines of code in a day? i can do that. and thats a bad day
There's an indentation in my skull next to my ear, right in the spot i usually stick my pen.
alphager
level3
level3
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby alphager » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:07 am

TheToyMaker wrote:what about someone who can debug 1000 to 1500 lines of code in a day? i can do that. and thats a bad day


I thought it was well accepted that lines of code are not an indicator of efficiency.
The last project i worked on had a major problem in the code two months before the planned release. Two teams of 5 people searched for three weeks and found nothing. Finally, one of the core-team coders debugged the ~500 lines on a prolonged weekend. That guy took 3 days to debug ~500 lines and is definetely one of the best coders in our part of the industry.
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:07 am

TheToyMaker wrote:what about someone who can debug 1000 to 1500 lines of code in a day? i can do that. and thats a bad day


Even if the code is written in Scheme? Especially even if the code is uncommented, lacks any structure and doesn't use a sensible or meaniful naming scheme?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
Limber
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 1:13 pm
Location: Sweden, of course

Postby Limber » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:44 pm

Montyphy wrote:written in Scheme

I always liked Common Lisp better. And Lisp doesn't need comments, recursive functions are self-explanatory.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:45 pm

Limber wrote:
Montyphy wrote:written in Scheme

I always liked Common Lisp better. And Lisp doesn't need comments, recursive functions are self-explanatory.

recursive functions: for an explanation, please see recursive functions

xander

Return to “Introversion News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests