Beta Testing began today

The forum with all your Introversion News!
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:58 pm

xander wrote:recursive functions: for an explanation, please see recursive functions

xander

ERROR PARSING POST: STACK OVERFLOW ON LINE 1.

OUTPUT TERMINATED.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:26 am

Limber wrote:I always liked Common Lisp better. And Lisp doesn't need comments, recursive functions are self-explanatory.

I didn't choose to learn Scheme. For my Principles of Programming module at uni we all had to learn and use it. Then we moved on to Ada95...
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:52 am

Montyphy wrote:
Limber wrote:I always liked Common Lisp better. And Lisp doesn't need comments, recursive functions are self-explanatory.

I didn't choose to learn Scheme. For my Principles of Programming module at uni we all had to learn and use it. Then we moved on to Ada95...

I envy you. Seriously, you were 'there' when computers took over the world. I was born too late to witness the 'revolution'.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:15 am

I was born in 1985, my first computer had a Pentium 133Mhz processor and my first console was a NES. Some would say I somewhat missed out on 'La Révolution'.

NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:44 am

Montyphy wrote:I was born in 1985, my first computer had a Pentium 133Mhz processor and my first console was a NES. Some would say I somewhat missed out on 'La Révolution'.

Heh, same year as me, but my first computer was a nice 33MHz with a turbo button! (god, does anyone remember those?). Although my first console was a NES, the only other console I've owned was a SNES :)

NeoThermic
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:02 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Heh, same year as me

Pre or post September?

NeoThermic wrote:but my first computer was a nice 33MHz with a turbo button! (god, does anyone remember those?).

My secondary school had slightly more powerful versions, if I remember correctly, 66MHz with Turbo on. I remember the cases had LED displays which showed the processor clock speed.

NeoThermic wrote:Although my first console was a NES, the only other console I've owned was a SNES

In order I've had, NES, SNES, GB, Sega Saturn, Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive, then PS2. Only the PS2 remains.

alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:17 pm

Montyphy wrote:I was born in 1985, my first computer had a Pentium 133Mhz processor and my first console was a NES. Some would say I somewhat missed out on 'La Révolution'.

Then i pity you. Where in the world do they still use Ada ?!
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:01 pm

alphager wrote:Then i pity you. Where in the world do they still use Ada ?!

Ada95 is very popular in regards to realtime systems so quite a few universities teach it in their modules, especially the modules that cover time critical systems. The Computer Science department at York University is particularly keen on Ada.

Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:16 pm

Let's see, we had

an Acorn Electron,
    an Amstrad 1640 (8MHz, 640kB RAM, 20MB Hard Disk, used 5 1/2" Floppies, ran GEM),
    a NES that appeared for a few months and then disappeared. Seriously, I don't know where it came from or where it went
    a P-120 with 16MB RAM and a 1Gig HD (OMG! ONE GIG!). We later upgraded it to 24MB, and added a 5 gig HD
    A PSOne (one of the little ones).
    A PIII 1GHz with 128MB ram, 40Gig HD, 32MB GForce 2. My parents still use this
    My lappy \o/ 1.4GHz P-M, 512MB Ram, 80GB HD, 128MB Mobility Radeon 9700
    A PDA, Acer n-50 Premium. 128MB Memory, 520MHz CPU. More powerful than a lot of the computers on the list, but in a tiny handheld package.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:36 pm

Montyphy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Heh, same year as me

Pre or post September?

If I say the latter, then I'm younger than you, if I say the former, then I'm older than you. I shall say this, if you're born late November/December of 85, then I'm older than you :P

Montyphy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:but my first computer was a nice 33MHz with a turbo button! (god, does anyone remember those?).

My secondary school had slightly more powerful versions, if I remember correctly, 66MHz with Turbo on. I remember the cases had LED displays which showed the processor clock speed.

Can you imagine if such clocks came standard these days? You'ld need four rows to display the clockspeed of all new computers! :P

Montyphy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Although my first console was a NES, the only other console I've owned was a SNES

In order I've had, NES, SNES, GB, Sega Saturn, Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive, then PS2. Only the PS2 remains.

Ah, if you count a gameboy, then I had the original and the colour version. Apart from that I've never really owned a console, and this will only change for the Wii.

NeoThermic
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:09 pm

NeoThermic wrote:If I say the latter, then I'm younger than you, if I say the former, then I'm older than you. I shall say this, if you're born late November/December of 85, then I'm older than you :P

What if I was born early November? :wink:

NeoThermic wrote:Can you imagine if such clocks came standard these days? You'ld need four rows to display the clockspeed of all new computers! :P

Heh, I was thinking that at the time I wrote that. You'd also have to take into account dual core systems unless you do what the evil marketing people do and just add the two clock speeds together... 5GHz OMGZ!!

NeoThermic wrote:Ah, if you count a gameboy, then I had the original and the colour version.

I never found a reason to splash out on the GBC, even if it was smaller. At the time, I still had my SNES and a cartidge (Super Gameboy(?)) that allowed GB games to run on it. It even added a small degree of colour via customizable colour schemes.

NeoThermic wrote:Apart from that I've never really owned a console, and this will only change for the Wii.

I don't have the space for a Wii. Would be nice to try out the control, should be a lot better than the PS2's EyeToy.

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:17 pm

Heh... my parents were luddites (well, not exactly, but close). My father bought a KayPro for graduate school. That was the first computer that I ever played with, when I was maybe 3 or 4. There were some great games for that thing. I still have it, running around somewhere, but I don't know what happened to the MS-BASIC disks that make it run.

We also had a TRS-80 of some sort running around, but I think my mother threw that away about 15 years ago. In 1989, my father bought a Mac II off of one of his graduate students. That was the computer I used all through high school until 1999, when I bought a Blue and White G3. Now, I have a PowerBook G4, and am saving up for a MacBook Pro (stupid name).

In terms of consoles, my parents didn't feel that there was any need for kids to play video games. So, I got my siblings to save up their allowances, and we bought a Genesis (I liked, and like, the Sonic games much more than the Mario games, and that really was the comparision to someone my age). We also eventually got a SegaCD (it was the first device in our house that played CDs). Those were the only consoles that I had growing up. My brother bought a Playstation, then a PS2 when it came out (by which time I had moved out). The PS2 was the first device capable of playing a DVD in my parents house (see, luddites). Finally, I bought myself a PS2 last year so that I could play some of my old PSX games :)

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:27 pm

Timex Sinclair 1000, otherwise known across the pond as a ZX81. I still remember the soft squishy 'thunk' sound the plastic-covered membrane keys made. :D And it saved programs on cassette tape! :lol:

(Got the 1500 model, too)

Montyphy wrote:

Vectrex, Odyssey2, Atari (2600?), ColecoVision (With the Atari cartridge expansion, and the rollerball expansion! Centipede! :D), Nes and light gun, GB, Super Nes, Game Gear, Genesis (a friend had the HUGE SegaCD, and the games sucked, so I didn't bother), Psx and GunCon, GB Color, PSOne, PS2, GameCube, GBA with Afterburner... and of course, about a dozen frankenstein-ish PCs, starting with an Intel 8088 complete with orange monochrome monitor and 4.77 whole MHz!. :D
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:28 pm

Darksun wrote:a P-120 with 16MB RAM and a 1Gig HD (OMG! ONE GIG!). We later upgraded it to 24MB, and added a 5 gig HD

Heh, P-133 with 32MB RAM (may be 16, but doubt it) and a 2Gig HDD!! It took me 3 years to fill that HDD. Ah, the days when a Windows OS was less than Gig.

xander wrote:I liked, and like, the Sonic games much more than the Mario games, and that really was the comparision to someone my age

I always preferred the Mario series, especially Super Mario World. Probably because the first levels of Sonic the Hedgehog annoyed me greatly. If I ever stopped on a hill it would take ages to "run" up the last bit, yes realism but realism doesn't always equal fun. Later stages were more enjoyable (especially the mini-games to collect the gem) and atleast they added the boost feature to later Sonic titles, or at least the second one.

trickfred wrote:Timex Sinclair 1000, otherwise known across the pond as a ZX81. I still remember the soft squishy 'thunk' sound the plastic-covered membrane keys made. :D And it saved programs on cassette tape! :lol:

(Got the 1500 model, too)

Vectrex, Odyssey2, Atari (2600?), ColecoVision (With the Atari cartridge expansion, and the rollerball expansion! Centipede! :D), Nes and light gun, GB, Super Nes, Game Gear, Genesis (a friend had the HUGE SegaCD, and the games sucked, so I didn't bother), Psx and GunCon, GB Color, PSOne, PS2, GameCube, GBA with Afterburner... and of course, about a dozen frankenstein-ish PCs, starting with an Intel 8088 complete with orange monochrome monitor and 4.77 whole MHz!. :D

alphager, this is the guy you should envy.

trickfred wrote:Nes and light gun

Ah, the light gun. That was amazing. My NES came with a 'Mario Bros'/'Duck Hunt' cartridge. Hours of fun.

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:35 pm

Montyphy wrote:I always preferred the Mario series, especially Super Mario World. Probably because the first levels of Sonic the Hedgehog annoyed me greatly. If I ever stopped on a hill it would take ages to "run" up the last bit, yes realism but realism doesn't always equal fun. Later stages were more enjoyable (especially the mini-games to collect the gem) and atleast they added the boost feature to later Sonic titles, or at least the second one.

Well, Sonic the Hedgehog was the first video game I ever owned (and the first video game that I ever played that was not composed entirely of ASCII chars), so it holds a special place in my heart. However, most people seem to agree that Sonic II was the best Sonic game ever. It doesn't suffer from the insane number of characters that later games suffer from, adds the spin dash and Super Sonic, and has one of the harder final bosses from any of the Sonic games. If you happen to have a Sonic II and a Sonic and Knuckles cartridge lying around (or the Sonic Mega Collection+ for PS2 -- that was the other reason to buy a PS2 -- my Genesis died), you can play Sonic II through as Knuckles. Most of the levels are quite easy, because he has abilities that were not taken into account when the levels were designed. However, he also cannot jump as high as Sonic or Tails, which makes the final boss a bitch and a half. Honestly, defeating that boss with Knuckles is one of the harder video game challenges out there, IMNSHO.

xander

Return to “Introversion News”