Preview + interview in this months Edge Magazine

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Preview + interview in this months Edge Magazine

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:55 pm

Edge Magazine have printed three pages about Introversion in this months issue (March 2006, on sale now in the UK). There's a two page interview with Chris, which is all about Introversion, Darwinia, the Steam Launch etc, as well as the original genesis of Defcon. Then there's a full page preview of Defcon itself.

Some lovely quotes:
"Like it's forebears, [defcon] is instantly recognisable and will age better than many grander titles"

"the game flicks in an instant from cautious, covert probing to a firestorm of neon nukes."

Also, there is a preview of Defcon coming up in this months PC Zone magazine - so keep your eyes out for that.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:44 pm

And scans for those of us who are skint would be two thumb fresh!
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:27 pm

As usual I will get each magazine in typical fan boy style, just like I did with Darwinia. You are in this months PC Gamer (March) anyway, mentioned in Eyewitness "Most Wanted" as number four.

DEFCON Nuclear Nightmare

Imagine an office building at war with itself. That's Introversion's dream with Defcon, a game of world domination, nuclear missiles and betrayal. We never mentioned the alliances in our preview: your basic multiplayer game is played out in secrecy, with you planning your strikes against the other players, but you can form alliances between nationstates.
You can also switch sides and double-cross your so-called friends. Imagine: you're doing your best to play the team game only to find that for the last ten munutes your buddy has been lining up a co-ordinated assault on you. We predict chat-channel flaming.

Official ETA: April
We say: On target. Arf!

Go get the mags!
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:18 pm

PCZone wrote:Introversion, the company behind Darwinia, is about to put your finger on the big red nuclear button in its unique RTS game Defcon. In a unique graphical display, apparently inspired by the film WarGames, you're tasked with using your thermo-nuclear army army to kill more civillians than your opponenent. There's even a cheeky 'Office mode', which helps you play the game at work away from the prying eye of your boss.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:43 pm

edd8990 wrote:
PCZone wrote:Introversion, the company behind Darwinia, is about to put your finger on the big red nuclear button in its unique RTS game Defcon. In a unique graphical display, apparently inspired by the film WarGames, you're tasked with using your thermo-nuclear army army to kill more civillians than your opponenent. There's even a cheeky 'Office mode', which helps you play the game at work away from the prying eye of your boss.

So, I take it that Defcon is going to be "unique"? I'm glad they clarified that, as I was a bit unclear... :P

For those of us not in the UK, when might scans be available? (I assume not while the mags are still on the shelves, but possibly shortly thereafter?)

xander

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:56 pm

It must be almost 10 years since I last bought a computer magazine, but maybe I should break that trend now.
residue
level1
level1

Postby residue » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:57 pm

In related news: I will also learn to make sure auto-login is activated so I don't post as "Guest".
"What difference do you think you can make, one single man in all this madness?"
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:14 pm

xander wrote:For those of us not in the UK, when might scans be available? (I assume not while the mags are still on the shelves, but possibly shortly thereafter?)

xander

The PCZone one had no images, and was just that block of text in a Red Box, so scans wont gove you much more.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:18 pm

edd8990 wrote:
xander wrote:For those of us not in the UK, when might scans be available? (I assume not while the mags are still on the shelves, but possibly shortly thereafter?)

xander

The PCZone one had no images, and was just that block of text in a Red Box, so scans wont gove you much more.

Ah. Thank you. What about the Edge article?

xander
Icecoolwarrior
level2
level2

Postby Icecoolwarrior » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:15 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:And they said it was best to disconnect from the internet first. You might just launch real warheads...!

Holy moley! I think we've just uncovered Introversion's ultimate objective, the destruction of the world!
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:07 am

Icecoolwarrior! Long time no see! Remembered us finally? :D
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Icecoolwarrior
level2
level2

Postby Icecoolwarrior » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:35 am

Wow, say his name and he appears! There's a longish thread in the Uplink forums man, check it and wave at us. :)
Gravitron
level3
level3

Postby Gravitron » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:28 pm

Magazines write too much.
IV already have a tag line which sums it all up and together with the game's name it's more than sufficiently explains everything.
Say it with me.

Defcon.
Everyone dies.

Seriously, who needs to hear more?
3 magic words.

Now, the only thing which could be better would be some chineese martial arts RPG, like DBZ thing only without the so-lame-it's-almost-gay-pride-parade world/chars/plot/etc. dbz shit, so you can end up with a char capable of doing a hadouken and frying an entire planet.
Dark Side FTW.

"Mass destruction is my thing"
- Lo Wang, shadow warrior
iGAME...on the PC
Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:43 pm

I remember Uplink and the moment during a long stint when i thought about the poor guy whose life i was ruining and the company that may have gone bust and the poeple who lost their jobs until i remembered it wasn't real, or was it? What if we were really hacking and it was just made to look like a game? Then reality struck me...i was so disapointed. I wonder if i'll get similar moments in DEFCON. Judging from introversions skill in suspense and emotion, yes.
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:52 pm

In this month's (April) edition of PCZone, there's a half page interview with Chris, entitled "The Independent Gaming Hero" (Not sure if its the same as the one in Edge the PCZ have bought, or if they have actually got off their arses and done their own interview). I might get scans if I can beat my scanner into working. And if PCZ don't mind.

Return to “Introversion News”