Big North American Break For Darwinia!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:20 pm

D'oh!
How bout you sell 2 packages like Half-life 2 did...

1st one is normal Darwinia barebone for 19.99.
2nd one is the darwinia bonuses with the extra gadgets for 29.99.

Sounds like a better deal than just the second one for 29.99.... seriously...
Slacker
level0

Postby Slacker » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:16 pm

I picked up my copy at a Wal-Mart here in Canada. I finally saved that shipping cost I didn't want to pay for. :wink:

The keychain is pretty neat too. :D
pat_trick
level0

Postby pat_trick » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:33 am

I was able to pick up my copy of Darwinina from Gamestop here in Honolulu, Hawaii last week. Just finished it tonight.

I was considering purchasing it over steam for quite some time, but seeing the boxed copy (priced at $19.99 USD by the way) and the included keychain made the extra push for me to picke it up there in the store.

I'm looking forward to messing around with the mod tools!
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:33 am

For those that are interested - here's a short clip of the new 'bootloader' that plays when the NA version of the game is loaded. This plays before regular bootloaders, every time the game is launched.

http://stellarmatter.net/iv/darwinia_cm_intro.avi

XviD, about 5 mb.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:57 pm

That's more like a production logo than a boot loader. The addition of the little darwinians was cool though.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:35 pm

xyzyxx wrote:That's more like a production logo than a boot loader. The addition of the little darwinians was cool though.

...Hence the 'bootloader' in quotes. :D (I should know better than to try and be subtle here, I guess)

I thought it was neat, as it's a video run in-game with game-created DGs watching it.

...Which means Darwinia can play .avi files.

...Which means soon I'll be begging Chris to let us use that functionality in mods. :D

...Starting now. :D
Testrie
level3
level3

Re: Big North American Break For Darwinia!

Postby Testrie » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:35 pm

vic wrote:Big calls for celebration here at Introversion as publishers Cinemaware Marquee, an affiliated label of eGames, Inc., begins its launch of Darwinia into the North American retail market.

Following on from the IGF Awards, Cinemaware Marquee’s decision to sign Darwinia comes as a further boost to our growing reputation as fearless producers of innovative, unique games and as sweet compensation for the enormous number of hours, days and nights that we lived and breathed Darwinia during its long and difficult genesis.

Darwinia is available now at North American retailers for just $29.99 and will include a bonus Darwinian keychain and poster.

For the full, official press release and a taste of Cinemaware Marquee’s own official Darwinia website, visit www.savedarwinia.com

Time to get in big trouble for buying a game online without my parents noticing. :( (Actually i paid somone else to buy it for me :D )

Tes
one01
level0

Postby one01 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:41 pm

Does the Cinemaware retail package also contain the Linux version? I was looking at the box at the store yesterday and saw no mention of the Linux version being included.

Another weird thing, the Cinemaware Darwinia website has links for the Mac, Windows and Linux demo, however they all link to darwinia-demo2.exe.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:50 pm

one01 wrote:Does the Cinemaware retail package also contain the Linux version? I was looking at the box at the store yesterday and saw no mention of the Linux version being included.

AFAIK, yes and no. It contains all of the data files for Darwinia, but not the executable. The executable can be downloaded as a patch from the IV website, for free.

one01 wrote:Another weird thing, the Cinemaware Darwinia website has links for the Mac, Windows and Linux demo, however they all link to darwinia-demo2.exe.

Indeed, that is weird.

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:41 pm

xander wrote:
one01 wrote:Does the Cinemaware retail package also contain the Linux version? I was looking at the box at the store yesterday and saw no mention of the Linux version being included.

AFAIK, yes and no. It contains all of the data files for Darwinia, but not the executable. The executable can be downloaded as a patch from the IV website, for free.

one01 wrote:Another weird thing, the Cinemaware Darwinia website has links for the Mac, Windows and Linux demo, however they all link to darwinia-demo2.exe.

Indeed, that is weird.

xander

Eh. They apparently have no experience with either OS, or they just put that link in as a placeholder until they found out what the proper links were, and then forgot.

By the way, the Cinemaware disc has a Windows installer on it, but no seperate files like the UK disc does - so if you want to use that version to play in Linux, you'll have to run the Windows installer somehow to extract main.dat and sounds.dat. (Wine, VMWare, dual boot, whatever the task calls for). Then of course, get the Linux executable from IV's website.
alexm
level0

Linux installer question for US version

Postby alexm » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:22 pm

I got the US version of the game (I am in Canada) and I am running Linux. However, the linux installer from the introversion website doesn't seem to recognize the CD. I've extracted the files from the CD to my hard-drive (using wine) but I don't know where to put them so the linux installer will find them. Can anyone on this forum help me?
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:13 pm

i guess you are new to forum stuff. try going to darwinia and then linux support. You will get more help there
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:41 pm

mibias wrote:i guess you are new to forum stuff. try going to darwinia and then linux support. You will get more help there

*agrees*

Anders
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:16 pm

IDEA!

Can someone with a mac version of Darwinia try putting a .avi into the directory as cinemaware.avi? It would be good to know if Macs support it too...

I'm thinking a secondary bootloader, a short video abvout the mod...

Someone with the plain Introversion version (Windows) testing that could also be useful.

If this works, it could be a very neat little modding feature. I doubt it would work on all versions, but it might.

Shwart!!
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:21 pm

I got windows, non-cinemaware, but plain retail. I'll try it, and report back with my results.

EDIT: Nope, it wont display.

Anders

Return to “Introversion News”