Darwinia released on Steam!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
panda of doom
level1
level1

Postby panda of doom » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:22 am

This is great news.
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:36 am

Darksun wrote:So is <the third game> the one that was originally planned as a B-Side for Darwinia but shelved, and later expanded into a full game? Is this what is going to be announced?

Hmmm...I smell a clue.

What's the clue? ^^
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:59 am

IV really need a new naming system... My brain is in pain trying to keep up :(
Tay g0
level0

Postby Tay g0 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:28 pm

Hurray! I got my game over steam!
mstrswrd06
level0

Postby mstrswrd06 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:44 pm

IV should also look into releasing Darwinia on Direct2Drive, which is FilePlanet's game buying system. I don't ever recall FilePlanet doing anything to advertise Darwinia, so it'd be a good chance to get it more popularity.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:55 pm

mstrswrd06 wrote:IV should also look into releasing Darwinia on Direct2Drive, which is FilePlanet's game buying system. I don't ever recall FilePlanet doing anything to advertise Darwinia, so it'd be a good chance to get it more popularity.

The contract with Valve probably prevents Darwinia being distributed over any other digital-download system.
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:27 pm

IV's new game looks sweet :D

Retro graphics sure beet photorealisum when it comes to showing the globe, There isn't much gameplay details but I'm sure you'll like what you see.

Take that Rockstar, IV made a game more brutal than you, or maby not philosphically one death is murder 100000000000000 is statistics.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:34 pm

Tortanick wrote:IV's new game looks sweet :D

Retro graphics sure beet photorealisum when it comes to showing the globe, There isn't much gameplay details but I'm sure you'll like what you see.

Take that Rockstar, IV made a game more brutal than you, or maby not philosphically one death is murder 100000000000000 is statistics.

So the real question is: will there be a Hot Coffee modification for Defcon? How about Defconse.cx, Dave2? Are you working on it yet?

xander
scorpmoon
level0

Postby scorpmoon » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:46 am

Steam is evil. It's the only reason I didn't buy HL2, and it's the reason I won't buy your game aswell.

But after playing your demo a couple of times, it's obvious to me that the gameplay is rather flat, hidden beyond all that artistic candy. Demo satisfied me well enough. But between playing those first couple of times I might have bought it. But steam prevented me.
Bitter Sticks
level1
level1

Postby Bitter Sticks » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:49 am

"Steam is evil."(No reason, just senseless hate.)
Nice, whats wrong with steam? Burn your mind in to making you biased against it? How about you label some reasons why steam is "evil" and maybe you'll convince some other fools that it's "evil". Nothing is wrong with steam.
ImageImage
lol.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:54 am

scorpmoon wrote:Steam is evil. It's the only reason I didn't buy HL2, and it's the reason I won't buy your game as well.

But after playing your demo a couple of times, it's obvious to me that the gameplay is rather flat, hidden beyond all that artistic candy. Demo satisfied me well enough. But between playing those first couple of times I might have bought it. But steam prevented me.

Erm. Ok. You say that Steam stopped you from buying Darwinia (even though you DONT have to buy it from Steam, you can buy it direct from Iv and get it on a CD), and then you say that the game is flat, and its a game of pure graphics. Sorry to say that it's not. The game looks good, yes, but it is extremely involving with an excellent story driving it. When playing, you really feel for the Darwinians, and when you see them mourn the dead, you feel upset. Losing them to Soul Destroyers just completely shatters your heart. And yet, at the same time, the game is fast paced, making you think of tactics in which to use your squad in a matter of seconds.

So either you find the game boring (which is possible, not everyone likes every game) and you have a hatred for steam, or you have a hatred for steam (for some unknown reason, as you don't say much more then "steam is evil") and that you hate Darwinia because of that. From your post, it seems the second one is true, and it doesn't sound like you played the game much.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:00 pm

scorpmoon wrote:...it's obvious to me that the gameplay is rather flat, hidden beyond all that artistic candy... I might have bought it. But steam prevented me.

So, despite the game being "flat", you'd have bought it? Why, if not because you enjoyed it enough to want more? I have Darwinia and I run Linux - no hope of ever getting Steam.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:04 pm

Bitter Sticks wrote:"Steam is evil."(No reason, just senseless hate.)
Nice, whats wrong with steam? Burn your mind in to making you biased against it? How about you label some reasons why steam is "evil" and maybe you'll convince some other fools that it's "evil". Nothing is wrong with steam.

Order from http://store.introversion.co.uk. You could get the game from there before the steam deal and you still can.

Ultimatly though, the Steam deal has been great for Introversion. They've made more in three weeks on steam than they did in the time since launch.
micks
level1
level1

Postby micks » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:37 pm

Darksun wrote:Ultimatly though, the Steam deal has been great for Introversion. They've made more in three weeks on steam than they did in the time since launch.

That's great news.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:07 pm

Darksun wrote:Ultimatly though, the Steam deal has been great for Introversion. They've made more in three weeks on steam than they did in the time since launch.

That's good to know. Yay for IV!

xander

Return to “Introversion News”