Darwinia Launch on Steam!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
The_B
level1
level1

Postby The_B » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:42 pm

Damn, I suppose Mr Lomabrdi wins the ipod then? :P :wink:

-Gratz guys - was just wacing lyrical about this game to my gaming community - now they have no excuse :D
I came, I saw, I Autoran...
The Mad Gamer

aoanla
level1
level1

Postby aoanla » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:54 pm

InfinityX wrote:Great news indeed, but dropping the ability to download from the main site? What about Linux users? I know several people who would never have bought Darwinia if the option to download the Linux version hadn't existed :?

This is a valid point, and is related to my comment about people I know who hate Steam (many of them are solely Linux users). It does seem like a problem (is there Steam for OSX?)
Cargo Cult
level1
level1

Postby Cargo Cult » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:14 am

Excellent!

Sadly this'll be the one independent game I probably won't be buying over Steam - there's that eye-bruisingly green box still sat, pride-of-place on my desk. But I know from experience with MINERVA that having anything to do with Valve amplifies public interest by a rough factor of a million. I hope you've got plenty of bandwith ready, you'll need it.. ;-)
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:23 am

Cargo Cult wrote:I hope you've got plenty of bandwith ready, you'll need it.. ;-)

Introversion has gone through two slashdottings. I'm sure Steam won't be a problem ;)

NeoThermic
equk
level1
level1

Postby equk » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:28 am

aoanla wrote:
equk wrote:people use steam?

have seen loads of peeps saying its rubbish/laggy etc :( good moneymaker for valve if they make 40% tho :? :shock:

The initial launch with Halflife 2 was a little laggy, but that was mainly because everyone was unlocking their content at the same time, which is quite intensive considering how big HL2 is. Since then, I believe Valve have tuned the delivery system (and the servers) to stop that happening again.

maybe that was why people were complaining :)

I got a bit fed up with steam in the past as whenever I tried to play singleplayer halflife2 it would download the updates before I could play :( not very good when you want to play a game straight away :(
equk
level1
level1

Postby equk » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:32 am

InfinityX wrote:Great news indeed, but dropping the ability to download from the main site? What about Linux users? I know several people who would never have bought Darwinia if the option to download the Linux version hadn't existed :?

This is an excellent point :)

I only bought the game because I could play it on linux.

That and the fact I downloaded demo2 to try the game :)
KF
level1
level1

Postby KF » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:35 am

Cargo Cult wrote: I hope you've got plenty of bandwith ready, you'll need it.. ;-)

Why, its only 30mb and you'll have to dl from steam, as they said you cant dl from the main site, but about the linux issue, you (IV) should talk to steam/valve about that :/

Code: Select all

/**  ** /**/////
/** **  /**     
/****   /*******
/**/**  /**//// 
/**//** /**     
/** //**/**     
//   // //       
ttm
level2
level2

Postby ttm » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:42 am

Introversion will still offer Boxed copies from their site, so the Linux version is in no danger. Introversion only has to remove the download version of the game. And since the game will still sell retail and Steam-free I would imagine that there will be non-Steam updates still.

I'm certainly going to buy Darwinia again when it comes out on Steam, just so I always have a copy in case I (god forbid) loose that lovely greeeen box
Cargo Cult
level1
level1

Postby Cargo Cult » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:42 am

Created a new page on the Valve wiki - it's a copy-and-paste job, but do feel welcome to rebuild it into something better! ;-)
equk
level1
level1

Postby equk » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:44 am

personally I'd sooner pay for the game from the maker and download it directly from a site rather than download a client to download it for me and pay someone else?!

how big is steam? (I notice the installer is 1mb)

comparable to the 30mb of the game? :?

seems steam is just adding another 'middleman' or link in the chain aswell as adding download time and advertising other developers games :?

also would you need steam to launch the game like you do with halflife2? and be made to update steam and the game before playing singleplayer?
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:46 am

And the Lord said upon to Jesus "Wooteth, for Darwinia is available on Steam."
Finn
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:59 am

Just to clear a few things up, we will continue to support Darwinia within steam and without. The only things removed from our site today were the Darwinia demos (at Valve's request), and the win32 online download. You can still buy the boxed copies from us, and you can download the Linux version as soon as you buy. The demos will be coming back to our site soon (in about a month), and Steam will also be distributing demo2, but from now on if you want to buy Darwinia online you'll have to do it through Steam.

Whenever we release patches we will put out a patch on our website for existing customers (as we have always done in the past), and we will also release that patch through the Steam system.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:59 am

Interesting, unexpected, and good for IV :) However I won't be using Steam anytime soon, as I have absolutely no need to. Still, I should hope this will give Darwinia a well-deserved boost!
Steam had its uses though. Well, it had one: Team Fortress Classic. Now it has two. :D

/goes off to pester Valve for some seriously heavy Linux porting ;) i shouldn't have thought it would be too hard to make a Linux Steam client - it's the games that would be the problem. But they just have to find some nice Linux-enabled games to put on it, attract some users, and then the way is open for future developers to use Steam for their Linux games.. Ah well, I doubt it'll ever happen.

Steve
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:26 am

Bloody hell, amazing news guys!
Nakatomi is coming
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:27 am

"Wow".

Unexpected, but well done guys!
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.

Return to “Introversion News”