Darwinia Launch on Steam!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:04 pm

petteyg359 wrote:As far as I've seen, ZERO of the third-party games release patches/updates over Steam itself, they have to be manually downloaded and reinstalled...

Rag Doll Kung Fu had a patch released a couple of weeks ago, so I assume the capability for patching any game exists within Steam.
ttm
level2
level2

Postby ttm » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:19 pm

petteyg359 wrote:As far as I've seen, ZERO of the third-party games release patches/updates over Steam itself, they have to be manually downloaded and reinstalled...
Rag Doll Kung Fu has had one patch, I know that it doesn't sound like much but it was just a quick patch to fix some rather big bugs that were in the release version. Considering that the online Athletics and map-maker are still to come, it's a fair bet that more patches are on the way

EDIT: Beaten to it

EDIT 2: Besides, you make out that there are more than one third-party games on Steam. Sure, a hell of a lot have been announced within the last month, but there is still only one on Steam at the moment (discounting Codename Gordon)
NiroZ
level0

Postby NiroZ » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:31 am

The GoldFish wrote:Not everyone uses a proxy which they own.

Proxy+ also supports SOCKS5 (apparently) - Squid is pretty exclusively a TCP proxy, and odds are his university's setup has protection to prevent connections from it to ports it doesn't like (eg using the HTTP proxy to connect to IRC would be refused)

If you can think of a good reason for STEAM to use UDP and with no internal to software proxy support, feel free to put it forward, as this is the main problem. (as is, afaik, no published information about steam server addresses)

Finally, if what you say is the case RE the settings, I would suggest you take another look at the usage guide for proxy+ and ensure you are not accidently using ICS

i didn't touch any of the settings in proxy+, my elder brother is the tech guru, and he had set up the proxy 6 months b4 i tried to use steam over the proxy. I have no idea what ICS is. if you really want me to, post a list of questions about the proxy, and i will send them to him.

to be honest, i discovered that steam can run over proxys by mistake.
ITS A CONSPIRACY
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:15 am

The usage guide, not settings (ie, how to set up another computer to talk to the proxy). There is no way simply setting up a proxy server's IP as your internet gateway would function as a proxy, in fact using that instead would usually suggest Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), but at least that the computer is acting simply as a gateway, and not as a proxy.

Basically, Steam won't work with any proxies from the get go unless the proxying is completely transparent to the client PC you're using. It will only work with a SOCKS5 if you use an app that'll capture the traffic and redirect it (since it uses UDP, which basically breaks after more than one proxy step) or if you use a VPN which encapsulates the packets past whatever blockage you had and out to a network with an open connection.

Basically, make Steam itself use TCP only and have proxy support in the app, and basically this problem goes away. But no one's gonna listen to me, are they.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:26 pm

Darksun wrote:However, if you buy retail you get the GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN box and cool manual.

Exactly. I'm stuck on deciding... But then again, I could just make my own box (I got one heck of a printer, and taking the cover off my more rubbish DVD games is easy), it is just the manual... Then again, most games have manuals on the CDs, and I already downloaded the manual of the site.

ARG, I probably go Steam. I love the fact you don't need to do a thing for your games to be up-to-date!
~RabidZombie
NiroZ
level0

Postby NiroZ » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:46 am

ummm... im not sure what was the point of you post was.
but what you said about the ICS in settings, it is enabled on the server, which according to what you said, would be the reason steam works in my 'puter.
ITS A CONSPIRACY
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:35 am

Valve are cool. Valve are a company that encourage indie developers and mod communities. Its run by guys who care, who talk to their community. Simple as that.

Steam is massively better than it was a year ago, and even back then it was never a problem for me. Yes, some had problems, but a LOT of it was whiney kids who couldn't wait a few minutes for updates or content unlocking... I've had steam installed almost since day 1 and i have bought all the games apart from RDKF (which i will get soon). I'll buy Darwinia again too, just to have it in my steam list, although i'd really prefer IV or Valve to come up with a way of importing my original game installation. Steam DID do this with Half Life 1. It detected it was installed and imported all the files in. Downloaded a few extras, bundled it into the gcf files and there you have it... Anyway, thats not likely to happen with Darwinia, so be it. My point is, Steam is not as bad as people make out, and its far better now than it was.

Steam is almost as common as Windows on gamers desktops these days. Who hasn't bought HL2 or in the past had Half Life 1 or CounterStrike installed with it ?? (No need to answer this thanks, its theoretical) This means IV and Darwinia will hit millions of users desktops, and sales will rocket. Absolutely great for IV and i'm very happy about that. This crew and game deserve it...

Anyway, i know i'm kinda re-iterating a lot of what others have said, so i'll get to my query in all of this :)

Mods, current ones and future ones. How will they be handled within Steam ? I'm sure installing them manually (like now) will be fine, but will the current ones work in this new Steam version. Will future mod releases made via the Steam version work for our older retail versions ? I really do hope so as the huge leap in userbase is gonna mean more mods to play in the end...

Congrats to IV on a fine game and all the best for the Steam release :)
micks
level1
level1

Linux and Steam

Postby micks » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:38 am

I think Darwinia on Steam is wonderful news for us Linux guys:

1) More customers for IV = more money for IV = more wonderful games from IV that will run on Linux
2) More games with Linux ports on Steam = better chance of a Linux Steam client = better chance to get Linux ports of other games as well
3) We can still buy the game from IV, download it immediately, then get that nice green box by mail (I've got to admit I'd buy the boxed version even if I was on Windows. I like boxes;) )

Sorry, but I can't see any disadvantages or reasons for whining here. Windows users who hate Steam for whatever reason, or who'd like to import the copies they bought before into Steam like Hitm4n may have a reason to complain, but we don't.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:08 am

Ooooh, be assured, it wasn't complaining from me. More a hope... :) But you are right. Steam is good for us all.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:20 pm

rereading the first post does this mean you'll release a patch for multiplayer 15th of december?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:26 pm

http://pics.livejournal.com/greeba/pic/ ... 1/s640x480

Preload is go. Rush out and buy it, kids.
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
kitkat
level0

When will the Fall game be out

Postby kitkat » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:25 am

Hi Could Someone Tell Me When I Can Play The Fall Game. I Pre Payed For It And I Have Just Pld The Demo And Think Its Fantastick But I Need More I What To Start Playing Can You Tell Me Also Will We Be Able To Play It Online Cos That Would Be Ace Many Thanks

Your Biggest Fan

Kitkat
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:35 am

Talking Like This and not punctuating does nothing for readability you know.

Anyway. Darwinia will go live on Steam on midnight December 14th 2005, Valve time. Or in 4 1/2 hours if I have the timezones right. Or, I could be talking compelte bollox, but it is stated to come out on the 14th, so at some point in the next day it will come out.
SirPhobos
level0

Postby SirPhobos » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:11 am

Ah, i forgot about those pesky timezones. Bah.
xander
level5
level5

Re: When will the Fall game be out

Postby xander » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:13 am

kitkat wrote:...Your Biggest Fan ...

Some one with only one post claims to be IV's biggest fan? :P

*cue someone with several thousand posts from the Uplink boards*

xander

Return to “Introversion News”