Darwinia Launch on Steam!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
User avatar
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Posts: 4667
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)
Contact:

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:38 am

I had no idea! Still, it's not as widely available as all that.

I never had any problems running Steam, but it was a pain to have to run Steam just to play a game. And I didn't really like Steam, although I liked the idea. Now I'm on Linux :P


And funnily enough 15th December is my birthday ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Image
NiroZ
level0
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:20 am
Contact:

QUIT YA BITCHING

Postby NiroZ » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:53 am

(MOUTH FOAMING RANT ALERT)
OMG

what the hell are you guys bitching about?

Valve, as game companies go, are rather good. you can stop being paranoid now. if you hate them, you a simply hating them for being successful.(your point 5 was perfectly valid)

steam runs on my computer and im on a proxy. its one of the few programs that i know run thru a proxy. the only reason steam should not run for you is that your computer sucks seriously. if so, its about time you upgraded. if its cos of an over protective firewall, you should seriously consider changing to a different firewall (not just for steam tho).

i assume IV is smart enough to lower its prices. and seeing as you can still get a boxed version, this move would by no means loose IV any sales at all FULL STOP. (this is assumeing darwinia posts worldwide)

(end of rant)

i don't hold it against anybody for hating steam, but my i suggest that you are being a wee bit paranoid?

people who play CS/HL will pay attention to darwinia, im living proof.

im not a HL fanboy, im a Deus Ex fanboy, just so you know. :D
ITS A CONSPIRACY
Darksun
level5
level5
Posts: 6461
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:08 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: QUIT YA BITCHING

Postby Darksun » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:46 am

NiroZ wrote:steam runs on my computer and im on a proxy. its one of the few programs that i know run thru a proxy.


Really? Can you tell me how to set this up, I couldn't find any proxy settings in Steam. If I can run it through squid it'd be great

if its cos of an over protective firewall, you should seriously consider changing to a different firewall (not just for steam tho).


Yeah, I'll just walk up to the ISS guys 'hey, ur firewall sux, get a bettar one, kthx ;)
equk
level1
level1
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:07 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: QUIT YA BITCHING

Postby equk » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:20 pm

NiroZ wrote:the only reason steam should not run for you is that your computer sucks seriously. if so, its about time you upgraded.

Or you could be running linux or mac osx
NiroZ wrote: if its cos of an over protective firewall, you should seriously consider changing to a different firewall (not just for steam tho).

Because high security is bad? :?

I think the number of people who have posted saying they will not use steam shows how many people feel that way about it. Pretty valid them making that decision aswell.

Steam wrote:Which ports must be open in order to use Steam?
The following ports must be open in your firewall and router for Steam and Steam Games to work:

UDP 1200 (used for friends service)
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27020 to 27039 inclusive

A little more than port80 / 8080
RabidZombie
level5
level5
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:26 pm

I also like the idea of Steam. I also like Steam itself. If it is the fact that it has worked flawlessly for me, that I got 10+ games for the same price as 1 in the shops, OR the fact thatr your games are ALWAYS up to date when you try to run them. I think Steam is great. The fact they are supporting indie Game Developers like our fantastic Introversion should make you happy.

The only downside I see to this is the splitting between the users who use the steam version, or the people who got it before steam and Darwinia could be related. No matter how much I want the boxed version, I also want it on my games list on steam, and I am split in which version to get. The fct that BOTH versions will constantly be updated doesn't help, as it doesn't help my decision.

I would like your opinion on what version to buy.

One nice idea is if people (from here on) got the shop version, some form of identification is given, so you can regester IF you REALLY want to, on steam.
~RabidZombie
petteyg359
level1
level1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:42 am
Location: TX, US
Contact:

Postby petteyg359 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:15 am

Hopefully it'll work in Cedega... Yet another reason to bug Steam about a native Linux port, though :)
Darksun
level5
level5
Posts: 6461
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:08 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Postby Darksun » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:11 pm

petteyg359 wrote:Hopefully it'll work in Cedega... Yet another reason to bug Steam about a native Linux port, though :)


Why would you want it to work in Cedega? You can get a direct download of the native linux version from the Introversion store
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:39 pm

RabidZombie wrote:I would like your opinion on what version to buy.


If you don't mind Steam, then I see no reason not to get the Steam version. It is cheaper, guarenteed to be up to date, and is there from the word "Go." I can't imagine any huge performance hits from Steam, and it should be exactly the same version as the retail version in every other way. Why not go Steam? I would, if I didn't already have the retail version for Mac.

xander
Darksun
level5
level5
Posts: 6461
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:08 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Postby Darksun » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:00 pm

However, if you buy retail you get the GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN box and cool manual. It might just be me, but I prefer boxed products to downloadable ones.
User avatar
Lord_Doskias
level4
level4
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:08 am
Location: over there
Contact:

Postby Lord_Doskias » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:28 pm

steam...being used for good? i did not know this was possible. why wasnt i informed of this?!
NiroZ
level0
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:20 am
Contact:

Postby NiroZ » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:22 am

i didn't do anything other than enter default gateway setting in network options. ( im using proxy+)

no, high security is not bad, over protective is.

anyway, why can't you just open up the ports required, just for that program? (yes, it is possible)

NiroZ wrote:
the only reason steam should not run for you is that your computer sucks seriously. if so, its about time you upgraded.

Or you could be running linux or mac osx


sorry, forgot about that. my bad.
i was trying to respond to the people who didn't like steam in the background.

Lord_Doskias
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:28 pm Post subject:
steam...being used for good? i did not know this was possible. why wasnt i informed of this?!


if it supports Darwinia, yes it is.
ITS A CONSPIRACY
User avatar
The GoldFish
level5
level5
Posts: 3961
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:01 pm
Location: Bowl / South UK
Contact:

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:36 pm

Not everyone uses a proxy which they own.

Proxy+ also supports SOCKS5 (apparently) - Squid is pretty exclusively a TCP proxy, and odds are his university's setup has protection to prevent connections from it to ports it doesn't like (eg using the HTTP proxy to connect to IRC would be refused)

If you can think of a good reason for STEAM to use UDP and with no internal to software proxy support, feel free to put it forward, as this is the main problem. (as is, afaik, no published information about steam server addresses)

Finally, if what you say is the case RE the settings, I would suggest you take another look at the usage guide for proxy+ and ensure you are not accidently using ICS
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
User avatar
Starfyre
level5
level5
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:00 pm
Location: in the tree house

Postby Starfyre » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:20 pm

A little bit of curiosity here, as I just saw a Darwinian on Steam and went "whoa!". Is it possible for IV (or third-party offerers in general) to live-feed updates to all clients via Steam, or is that feature reserved for Valve and their games only?

I'm sorry if this was asked already, but my page comb snapped and is now borken. Live updates are a nifty feature IMHO and allow quick and global response to upcoming issues, as Valve has shown by releasing an unfinished product and then patching it until it worked just fine. 8)
petteyg359
level1
level1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:42 am
Location: TX, US
Contact:

Postby petteyg359 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:14 am

As far as I've seen, ZERO of the third-party games release patches/updates over Steam itself, they have to be manually downloaded and reinstalled...
User avatar
Varsity
level2
level2
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:30 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Postby Varsity » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:17 am

You are thinking of mods. Darwinia, Red Orchestra and whatever this Warren Spector game is will all be hosted on Steam like Valve's games.
Group C

Return to “Introversion News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests