New demo released!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

New demo released!

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:27 pm

The brand new Darwinia demo has now been released! The demo features an entirely new scenario not included in the full game, as well as the new icon-based control mechanism and a full tutorial which should make the game a little easier to get into for new players.

Click here to download the new demo, and have fun!

As promised we have also released the patch version 1.3, which adds the new control mechanism to the full game. The new controls are enabled by default, but you can switch back to the classic gesture based system by an option in the Control Options menu. The patch also adds a number of other fixes and improvements to the full game - you can see a full change list here.

It's taken us over four months to produce this new demo, but we really do think it's the best level we've ever made, and it does a wonderful job of introducing Darwinia to new players. Big thanks to the beta testers who helped us complete it. All that remains now is to cross our fingers and hope the demo is warmly received, and to hope we bring in some gamers who perhaps turned their backs on us the first time around.
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:02 pm

YAY! Lets hope this gets more sales for you!

EDIT: AMAZING LEVEL!!!!

Although if you're quick, you can savbe the central island befre the reds take over, making the level much easier :D
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:18 pm

When will it be out for Mac/Linux?
needalittlehint
level1
level1

Postby needalittlehint » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:44 pm

The new demo is beautiful! (the "old" one was veeery impressive as well)
I would buy the game right away - if i hadn't already months ago, because i read about it on: http://fm4.orf.at/glashuettner/193736/main
by the way: i love the gesture system :wink: (even though the "switch-sounds" in the taskmanager are cool)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:31 pm

edd8990 wrote:Although if you're quick, you can savbe the central island befre the reds take over, making the level much easier :D

What I did. (obviously I was a tester so I've been playing the level and modding it, like, forever).
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:55 pm

I'm with prophile... the new demo seems really cool, but my guess is that I will not be able to extract the data and play it as a mod until 1.3 is released for the Mac and the new buildings will function. I hate to be an annoying nag but, what the hell -- when will the Mac patch be done? John?

By the way, congratulations on what sounds like a major acheivment. I really hope it helps sales. Oh, and any hints about what the two neat things are going to be?

xander
juice
level1
level1

Postby juice » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:53 pm

Just played and finished the demo - verra verra nice:)
Not too sure about setting it after the game finish (could be a tad confusing for new people), but it was a fun 10 minute blast!

Time to go and spread the word, I guess!

(and to reinstall my PC: I was getting 15fps in the demo, on an XP2800 w/Radeon 9800 Pro *after* a reboot. Summat's up...)
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:19 pm

I loved it, the burning Darwinians flying from the hatch were amazing! Please could that happen to a Darwinian after a grenade/rocket/airstrike maybe 10% chance?

Some suggestions its to late but what the heck: (dialogue)
The pumps are new yet the Darwinians had armour in the war, perhaps say that the Darwinians figured that polygons from the ocean is better than from land -faster and eco friendly.

The reds weren’t trying to destroy the rocket, just remove the greens, tell the player this.

The My god line was used twice, not good, I'd completely change that small bit.

Two armour fly in, unload Darwinians and turn to cannon, the greens move to the trunk port.

Dr Sepulveda: the Darwinians report of a virus outbreak in the biosphere, it looks like they are coming this way.

Dr Sepulveda creates a squad and sends it to the Darwinians.

A mesh sphere with a red glow inside comes out of the trunk port

Dr Sepulveda: What on earth is that!

The sphere blows up frying the hastily assembled defenders, a Darwinians manning the pumps and watching the rocket (come on It'll have an audience) are turned into viruses, the effect looks like a spam cube

Dr Sepulveda: Dam, this is serous, and it’s worse at the biosphere, it’s a full scale war there, I have to help, I'll give you permissions, use them to fight back. I'll drop by to check if I ever get a seconds peace. I've recorded a quick tutorial, I'll fire it up for you.

Just a few nitpicks, it’s a great new demo I hope it gets you some more sales.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:15 pm

Dr Spedvula?

Damm?

sphear?

serous?

full scale war their?

sales form this?

ues them?

Hmmz...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:22 pm

sphear (sfir): n large, round object that is attached to a pole that can be thrown; typically used for killing cuubes

xander
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:49 pm

I'm dyslexic but It's edited now.
Aerothorn
level0

Postby Aerothorn » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:06 am

Great fun...unfortunately the demo was bugged for me. The rocket launched, but the "launch rocket" objective never completed- it said 99% fuel, 100% passengers- and so the level never ended.
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:25 pm

you didn't miss much, you get some nice cinimatic view of the rocket launching and a beutifull white background with floating darwininans while Dr says buy the game.
Sobek
level3
level3

Postby Sobek » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:32 pm

The switch from the gestures to the icon system is a hell of a gear shift at first... I still think that, in the context of Darwinia and the way the combat is, the gesture system is best.
I think that IV should release a screensaver of the final sceen, with the Darwinians floating in white space. I hate screensavers, but I could see using that one.
Humans are stupid... Evolve.
Rowedekhelicon
level1
level1

Postby Rowedekhelicon » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:46 pm

Or as a new bootloader. I've always wanted to see a music video boot loader, and I think the white screen thing would work great as an element for it.

Return to “Introversion News”