New Darwinia Demo - testers required

The forum with all your Introversion News!
film11
level3
level3

Postby film11 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:31 pm

Cookies might enable goodies though :P
Always nice to have something you didnt ask for. As long as its a good thing. Bad things aren't so nice. I'll stop talking now!

Applied, btw.
aaaaaaaaaahahaha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. ahahahaaah ahhhh aaaah.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:18 am

I've rebuilt my system, and placed my old parts in a new case - esssentially, I have two computers now - the one I applied already with, and a new one. Should I just reapply with the new specs? Also, I can test the 'patch' or what have you on both systems, should I make a note of that? Will my old application be overwritten if I submit a new one?
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:11 am

Yes, you should re-apply. If ya have exotic specs, you have more chances to get in. And yes, new application will overwrite old application.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:08 pm

Thank you, Dr4goN. Any chance someone who has been through the process before can confirm/add to that? Thanks in advance. :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:14 pm

trickfred wrote:I've rebuilt my system, and placed my old parts in a new case - esssentially, I have two computers now - the one I applied already with, and a new one. Should I just reapply with the new specs? Also, I can test the 'patch' or what have you on both systems, should I make a note of that? Will my old application be overwritten if I submit a new one?

As per the instructions on the page, if you apply again, it will overwrite your old specs. Each account gets one application (so far as I can tell). Odd specs are likely to get you in. I don't know if it will replace your install of the game -- my guess is no, as you wouldn't really want to replace a running version with a bleeding edge patch that may... well... bleed.

In the phase 1 beta (all that I am familier with), one submitted system information to Darwinia (information that was generated by an app that IV handed out). You could then download a copy of the beta that was configured to run only on that configuration. If your system was updated, you would have to get a new copy of the beta. I would imagine that IV would do this again, or forgo the the system. In the first case, it is would be possible to submit sysinfo for box A, download the beta, submit sysinfor for box B (overwritting the sysinfo for box A), and download again. Thus, whichever hardware you submit your application with, it should be possible to run on both machines. In the second case, it will run on both machines anyway.

That being said, I think that activity in the community, and the ability to write a well formed bug report are almost as important as what system you are running on. Given your release of Enemy Within, and your many comments on the boards here, I would be suprised if you were not selected for the new beta.

Of course, all of this is hearsay anyway. I could be entirely wrong. The only people that really know how the new beta is going to be run are working for IV (and maybe NeoThermic and andcarne ^_^ ).

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:40 pm

xander wrote:Of course, all of this is hearsay anyway. I could be entirely wrong. The only people that really know how the new beta is going to be run are working for IV (and maybe NeoThermic and andcarne ^_^ ).

xander

Even that paragraph is hearsay!

I only know about as much as you in relation to the beta selection (bar a few tiny things, but nothing critical).

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:32 am

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:Of course, all of this is hearsay anyway. I could be entirely wrong. The only people that really know how the new beta is going to be run are working for IV (and maybe NeoThermic and andcarne ^_^ ).

xander

Even that paragraph is hearsay!

I only know about as much as you in relation to the beta selection (bar a few tiny things, but nothing critical).

NeoThermic

Did I say hearsay? I meant heresy. Sorry for the confusion.

xander
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:15 am

What I want to know is why you thought either of them know anything about the beta progress... niether exactly have access to the code, and, while andcarne is the Darwinia moderator over at Ambrosia, there has been a history of either (a) getting the beta working on the PC first, and (b) lengthy (and dare I say unneeded) testing before the mac version is ready.

I mean, look at it, a few days after the Mac 1.2 patch is released, IV annouces it's about to start testing 1.3. I doubt they're in the small, tight circle of information that IV mantains.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:24 pm

Miah Helpmann wrote:What I want to know is why you thought either of them know anything about the beta progress... niether exactly have access to the code, and, while andcarne is the Darwinia moderator over at Ambrosia, there has been a history of either (a) getting the beta working on the PC first, and (b) lengthy (and dare I say unneeded) testing before the mac version is ready.

I mean, look at it, a few days after the Mac 1.2 patch is released, IV annouces it's about to start testing 1.3. I doubt they're in the small, tight circle of information that IV mantains.

NeoThermic has some uber-access to the boards, so I thought it possible that he might have some extra knowledge. andcarne had the Mac patch a month or two before the rest of us. Given that those two have a history of being in the know, I consider it possible that they may have better information than the rest of us. However, emphasis is always on the words 'maybe', 'may', and 'might'.

Anyway, that is why I thought that they might have better information than the rest of us.

xander
Andcarne
level4
level4

Postby Andcarne » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:39 am

The only reason I got the Mac one early is because it went through an internal beta stage at ASW. I (unfortunately for me :P) have no special (and/or secret) information about the new beta.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:32 am

Heh. So there you go.

Either that, or they're keeping their cards clos to their chest, but I'm doubting that.

But I would have to say, if anyone here knew anything about anything, I doubt they would come right out and say it. Besides! Both of them and many others signed NDAs! :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:17 pm

Miah Helpmann wrote:Heh. So there you go.

Either that, or they're keeping their cards clos to their chest, but I'm doubting that.

But I would have to say, if anyone here knew anything about anything, I doubt they would come right out and say it. Besides! Both of them and many others signed NDAs! :P

So, on 1 March of next year, when the NDA expires, will you tell us all of your secrets?

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:54 pm

When do we get told if we've been picked as a demo tester?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:55 pm

When Introversion decides to tell you.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:55 pm

So theres no offical date?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Return to “Introversion News”