New patch coming soon for Darwinia

The forum with all your Introversion News!
User avatar
Starfyre
level5
level5
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:00 pm
Location: in the tree house

Re: don't expect...

Postby Starfyre » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:19 am

martin wrote:So is there any idea as to when multi will come out? Just my main game playing is on multiplayers.


"Soon"
(- Obsidian Entertainment / LucasArts)

or would you rather go for....

"When it's done."
(- ID software)

No, really, noone here has any idea of a rough day, month or even year. But it's bound to come when you least expect it (usually the minute you "just went online to check the forums before you leave on a 2 week work assignment").
Darksun
level5
level5
Posts: 6461
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:08 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Postby Darksun » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:37 am

If we were having a pool, I'd put my money on longer than 6 months, from what we've heard the multiplayer code needs a lot of work, plus Chris and Andy are still looking at ways to make the multiplayer fun, rather than just directing a couple of darwinian armies towards each other and getting them to shoot the hell out of each other.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: don't expect...

Postby xander » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:23 pm

martin wrote:you don't expect me to pay attention to what people say on her to you :-)?
only joking, sorry, I've missed that quote. I don't go on IRC either.

So is there any idea as to when multi will come out? Just my main game playing is on multiplayers.


It will come out when it comes out. ^_^

By the way, I'm in for $5... put me down for November.

xander
User avatar
martin
level5
level5
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: ::1
Contact:

thanks<dripping sarcasm>

Postby martin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:37 pm

Wwhen it's ready... really useful.
i'm at school so I won't be on an assignment when it comes out; probably when my parents are pissed off at how much I'm using the computer ('mum, dad can I have ...... round at the weekend to play darwinia multi for 10 hours solid. What, why not?')
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: thanks<dripping sarcasm>

Postby xander » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:46 pm

martin wrote:Wwhen it's ready... really useful.
i'm at school so I won't be on an assignment when it comes out; probably when my parents are pissed off at how much I'm using the computer ('mum, dad can I have ...... round at the weekend to play darwinia multi for 10 hours solid. What, why not?')


Relax. IV has not even promised a multiplayer mode. There was code put in originally, and it was tested in early beta. It did not work that well (my understanding is that there were balance issues, among other things). IV has other priorities right now, i.e. fixing as many bugs in the single player game as possible. When the game can run without crashing on most systems, they will probably start working on multiplayer again. Maybe. Until that time, we must speculate. Again, there has been no official word since early beta.

IV don't do deadlines. Don't hold your breath.

xander
User avatar
martin
level5
level5
Posts: 3210
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: ::1
Contact:

eerm

Postby martin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:22 pm

there has been fficial word: I got a postcard inside my copy of uplink saying about darwinia with a COOPERATIVE (Ie. No gameplay probs) multiplayer mode.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
User avatar
Dr4goN
level3
level3
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Postby Dr4goN » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:46 pm

Code: Select all

- Added support for other language
    - Language selector added to Other options screen


WoW!!! It's great. But I have two questions for you Chris or Darwinia's betatesters:

1. Will there be Polish language in near future??
2. If not, this line says:

Code: Select all

    - Languages will be loaded from Language.dat.

Can I create my own language, pack it by WinRAR and give you to add some languages for your newest language pack(unpacking like the rest .dat files in Darwinia)??

And oh, by the way of Multiplayer:

I've tested it on simple SP map. It works ONLY ON DEATHMATCH MODE.
Rkiver
level5
level5
Posts: 6405
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:39 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Postby Rkiver » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:15 pm

I'm wondering will it fix that graphical glitch that means I have to keep shifting back to older drivers to play darwinia?
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
User avatar
Starfyre
level5
level5
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:00 pm
Location: in the tree house

Postby Starfyre » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:03 pm

Dr4goN wrote:Can I create my own language, pack it by WinRAR and give you to add some languages for your newest language pack(unpacking like the rest .dat files in Darwinia)??

And oh, by the way of Multiplayer:

I've tested it on simple SP map. It works ONLY ON DEATHMATCH MODE.


Yes, it's what I'm doing for German right now. Once the patch is out, if you unzip your "language.dat", it will create a folder "language" in the "data" directory. Just copy your translated stringfiles (name it "polish.txt" for example) into there and you can switch to it ingame.

But I'm not going to claim it's not a motherload amount of strings to translate ;)
User avatar
Iris
level5
level5
Posts: 2423
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:15 am
Location: Land of the Morning Calm

Postby Iris » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:36 am

Darksun wrote:If we were having a pool, I'd put my money on longer than 6 months, from what we've heard the multiplayer code needs a lot of work, plus Chris and Andy are still looking at ways to make the multiplayer fun, rather than just directing a couple of darwinian armies towards each other and getting them to shoot the hell out of each other.


I'd say I go for a multiplayer mode that'll let you have control of the Spiders and Soul Destroyers to include in your army! :D (never mind the Spore Generators, they suck....)

Regarding Spiders, if IV can come up with a way to let them bury themselves underground for ambush purposes (they're Tarantulas, are they not?), that would be doubly sweet! :)
Image
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:23 am

Iris wrote:Regarding Spiders, if IV can come up with a way to let them bury themselves underground for ambush purposes (they're Tarantulas, are they not?), that would be doubly sweet! :)


Huh... I thought they looked more like black widows. However, having grown up in the American southwest, I fear black widows far more than tarantulas, and tend to assume that any scary looking spider is a black widow. Not to go entirely off topic, but that is why I didn't like the spider in LoTR:RotK -- Shelob looked to much like a wolf spider or tarantula (mostly harmless). She just looked big and fuzzy to me. Now a black widow -- that would have scared the sh-t out of me.

xander
User avatar
Dr4goN
level3
level3
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Postby Dr4goN » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:58 am

Starfyre wrote:
Dr4goN wrote:Can I create my own language, pack it by WinRAR and give you to add some languages for your newest language pack(unpacking like the rest .dat files in Darwinia)??

And oh, by the way of Multiplayer:

I've tested it on simple SP map. It works ONLY ON DEATHMATCH MODE.


Yes, it's what I'm doing for German right now. Once the patch is out, if you unzip your "language.dat", it will create a folder "language" in the "data" directory. Just copy your translated stringfiles (name it "polish.txt" for example) into there and you can switch to it ingame.

But I'm not going to claim it's not a motherload amount of strings to translate ;)


I'll try to make polish version of DRW, no matter how long will be translating process.
NHJ BV
level1
level1
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:14 pm
Location: Inside the Social Security database

Postby NHJ BV » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:38 am

Dr4goN wrote:
Starfyre wrote:
Dr4goN wrote:Can I create my own language, pack it by WinRAR and give you to add some languages for your newest language pack(unpacking like the rest .dat files in Darwinia)??

And oh, by the way of Multiplayer:

I've tested it on simple SP map. It works ONLY ON DEATHMATCH MODE.


Yes, it's what I'm doing for German right now. Once the patch is out, if you unzip your "language.dat", it will create a folder "language" in the "data" directory. Just copy your translated stringfiles (name it "polish.txt" for example) into there and you can switch to it ingame.

But I'm not going to claim it's not a motherload amount of strings to translate ;)


I'll try to make polish version of DRW, no matter how long will be translating process.


I might try a Dutch translation, although I will probably give up halfway through :)
Andcarne
level4
level4
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 1:44 am

Re: thanks<dripping sarcasm>

Postby Andcarne » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:21 am

xander wrote: There was code put in originally, and it was tested in early beta. It did not work that well (my understanding is that there were balance issues, among other things).


It wasn't just balance issues, more the fact that there really wasn't anything there. Form what I've heard, you could only load up the levels and have little skirmishes, but it got boring fast. It was never accessible from the menus or anything anyways, and had to be hacked in using the prefs file. There were never any multiplayer maps either, so those had to be made by hand (this was in the stage one beta, so no map editor).

Basically, the main problem is in figuring out how the gameplay aspect would work.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:03 am

You are correct, sir.

s/balance/gameplay

xander

Return to “Introversion News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests