Darwinia for Mac OS X launched!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Darwinia for Mac OS X launched!

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:40 pm

We are delighted to announce the Mac OS X version of Darwinia has been launched and is now available for demo and purchase. The port to Mac was handled by Introversion in house thanks to our resident Linux/Mac guru John Knottenbelt, and we have again teamed up with Ambrosia Software for publication and duplication.

Unlike the Windows and Linux versions, the Mac version is an online download only - ie no boxed copy is provided. When you download the demo you are actually downloading the entire game with only the first couple of levels available for play. If you like what you see you can pay your money and unlock the rest of the game.

To download the new Mac demo, please visit Ambrosia's Darwinia page at this location. If you've been waiting until now to play the game then we really hope you have fun.

In other news
- Darwinia was reviewed by GameFreakes and scored a whopping 9.7/10 - our highest mark so far. Click here to read the review.
- GameShark reviewed the game and have us 3.5/5. Click here to read the review.
- GameCell reviewed the game and gave it 8/10. Click here to read the review.
- TechConnect reviewed the game, although no final score is given. Click here to read it. Here are some awesome quotes from this rave review:
"It's cutting-edge entertaiment that harkens back to the early days of gaming, and propels the concept of digital entertainment far beyond anything published by any major label in recent memory."
"This game is not a sequel, it does not belong to a franchise, and it refuses to be categorized. It's not a shooter, a strategy game or an adventure. It's all of the above, and then some: it's an experience that will make you believe in gaming again."
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:13 pm

Congratulations to IV and Ambrosia.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Maccher5555
level2
level2

Re: Darwinia for Mac OSX launched!

Postby Maccher5555 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:41 pm

[quote="Chris"]We are delighted to announce the Mac OSX version of Darwinia has been launched and is now available for demo and purchase.quote] I am very delighted too, I just wanted to ask why this couldn't be on Tuesday when I got back from my break?...I'm on a Windows...wait, there's a demo, but I can't dowload it... :cry:
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:13 pm

Hehe... I got it downloaded yesterday, a few hours prior to the public release...

(yay me)
PMAvers
level1
level1

Postby PMAvers » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:13 am

In related news, Inside Mac Games has a review of Darwinia up. (Surprised it wasn't linked on the news post...)

http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=566 8/10.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:35 pm

Miah Helpmann wrote:Hehe... I got it downloaded yesterday, a few hours prior to the public release...

(yay me)

Ditto. Yay for refresh and andcarne.

xander
ylandot
level0

Please post in IMG

Postby ylandot » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:45 am

Hello, just bought Darwinia and this game is great ... how should i say ? it reminds me the games i was playing ing the 80's with today technology. I just love it. This is, with Uplink, the spirit of videogames i played when i was young ... games with mind.

Now it seems in inside mac games review, people love it or don't. I guess most people that don't love it are people that don't give the game enought time to feel at ease with gesture or maybe younger people to accomodated to FPS games.

Anyway ... if people that really love the game could post a review in Inside Mac Games, it could be great. Introversion and Ambrosia really desserve that people that like Darwinia talk about it.

Just my 2c

Thanks Introversion for porting your great game to the mac :)

nb : please excuse my grammar, english is not my main language.
Maccher5555
level2
level2

Postby Maccher5555 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:58 am

Well, IV, I've got to hand it to you this is the best strategy game that I've played since Starcraft. It's got alot of action in it. I'm on the 2nd level, Containment. In Garden I could get it up to 50 FPS, but in Containment, I can only get up to 10 FPS, why is this?
I have a 700 MHz G4, nVidia Geforce2 MX graphics card.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:47 am

having had a GF2, it's probably going ARG OMG on the transparencies of the forcefields - this is the only level with them so hopefully performance will improve elsewhere - though that's just a total guess, heh.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:51 am

Darwinia is fairly intensive. I have a 1.25 Ghz PowerBook G4, and am lucky to get better than 5 FPS on any of the last couple of levels. I assume that the video card is the problem on the laptop, as it is whatever came on board. The 700 Mhz G4 might be your problem -- ASW states a minimum requirement of a G3, but that seems a bit dubious to me. Can you get any better results by lowering some of you settings?

1) Hit [ESC] to bring up the options menu.
2) Click on 'Screen Options' and try lowering your resolution.
3) Click on 'Graphics Options' and set everthing to medium or low.
4) Click on 'Sound Options' and reduce the number of channels and the sampling rate.

Any combination of these things should give you some increase in performance. With everything set to its lowest possible setting, I can get about 65 FPS in Garden, and maybe 5 in Temple. It is playable down to about 5 FPS, below that, the radar dishes start misbehaving. Time for me to get a new compy... how about a dual G5?

xander
colleenex
level0

Postby colleenex » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:15 am

This is SPAM!
Last edited by colleenex on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:12 am

I'm wondering if you are a spam bot, or just a complete idiot....

If not a spam bot, seriously, topic about a game released on Mac OSX, not how to do random stuff.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:44 am

Rkiver wrote:I'm wondering if you are a spam bot, or just a complete idiot....

If not a spam bot, seriously, topic about a game released on Mac OSX, not how to do random stuff.

Spam bot. The text is from Yahoo Answers. It'll return in a few days time to edit in the spam.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:58 am

Are these actual people or just bots?
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:51 pm

<waves hand> These are not the bots you are looking for.

God, I've always wanted to say that.
My other account is Steve Jobs!

Return to “Introversion News”