Strategy First in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection

The forum with all your Introversion News!
jim_the_coder
level2
level2

Postby jim_the_coder » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:48 pm

But I don't get under what grounds the company/owners/whatever should be protected from being sued.
TheVirus
level1
level1

Postby TheVirus » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:44 am

http://gamershell.com/reviews_PCDarwiniaPreview.shtml

My Darwinia preview has been posted. I had permission from Mark to do this. Please spread the link.

Gamers Hell is a very popular website so I'm sure that preview and the following review will get Darwinia some much needed exposure.
Proud to be an official beta tester.

AMD 64 3500+ Socket 939
Asus A8V Deluxe
1GB Corsair PC3200 XMS
ATI 9800 Pro @ 450/380
Logitech Z680
jimmy8159
level2
level2

Postby jimmy8159 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:46 pm

Rkiver wrote:Well you are wrong on that one. Generally companies get away with shit like this all the time in the states. Only one has really every been caught, and that was Enron. All the others pull it on a monthly basis, just watch financial news and you see it all the time.

How depressing :( It just means more trouble for the little guys in the long run (ie Introversion)

Oh, and great preview TheVirus.
chemman
level4
level4

Postby chemman » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:21 pm

Well, a normal american would probably say: "Shit hit the fan", if I'm correct. And that is indeed a bad situation. Here in Poland we would put the publisher to sleep, cut out both of his kidneys and sell them to the chinese (this happened once). That is a really annoying thing...

Anyway, you all declare that you'll buy a poster. 20 posters is not enough - to keep IV running, *barely*, you'd need to order 20 posters every day. Despite the fact that IV is a good company, some people simply won't buy those posters because they don't have the money, like me. And surely, not 20 dayly, sorry to say.

This is the beggining of the end....
Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:41 pm

chemman wrote:Well, a normal american would probably say: "Shit hit the fan", if I'm correct. And that is indeed a bad situation. Here in Poland we would put the publisher to sleep, cut out both of his kidneys and sell them to the chinese (this happened once). That is a really annoying thing...

Anyway, you all declare that you'll buy a poster. 20 posters is not enough - to keep IV running, *barely*, you'd need to order 20 posters every day. Despite the fact that IV is a good company, some people simply won't buy those posters because they don't have the money, like me. And surely, not 20 dayly, sorry to say.

This is the beggining of the end....

Read the news post, numb nuts. Iv said they will survive at least until Darwinia is out, as they have known about this problem for a fair few months, and have planned for it. Well done for opening your eyes there.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
chemman
level4
level4

Postby chemman » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:48 pm

If you think... at all.. and thought that I have not read the news, then you are wrong. Yes, I know what IV said, and yes, I know that they claim that they will survive. I do not need you to read the news for me.

IV will be suffering hard times, that is unquestionable. If those hard times will break IV up or not, is not so sure. IMnsHO, it will. Unless IV wants to work for free that is.

And hey, why are you so intersted with my nuts all of a sudden? Get off!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:25 pm

Yea, IV is suddenly going to quite right before they launch the game they have been working for a year. . .

This is not a new development for IV and if they haven't given up yet I don't think they will. :)
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:41 am

chemman wrote:If you think... at all.. and thought that I have not read the news, then you are wrong. Yes, I know what IV said, and yes, I know that they claim that they will survive. I do not need you to read the news for me.

IV will be suffering hard times, that is unquestionable. If those hard times will break IV up or not, is not so sure. IMnsHO, it will. Unless IV wants to work for free that is.

And hey, why are you so intersted with my nuts all of a sudden? Get off!

Iv aren't "working for free". They are living off the sales of Uplink at the moment. They didnt spend it all in one go (I hope). No one pays Iv's wages, except Iv... There is no "big boss" thats suddenly gonna go "Well lads, we got a problem, so you aren't getting paid this month".

The money from strategy first is only the takings from American shops. Iv still sells Uplink online, worldwide. Yes, they will be in hard times, but Chris said that they will finish this game and release it. I believe them. Which is why I bought a poster.

And numb nuts is a saying. It refers to your stupidity.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
FlamingDemon
level2
level2

Postby FlamingDemon » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:24 pm

Plus the worst that could happen is that they have to go back to day jobs for a bit, which would just delay Darwinia more, but certainly not doom it.
chemman
level4
level4

Postby chemman » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:04 pm

elDiablo wrote:Iv aren't "working for free". They are living off the sales of Uplink at the moment. They didnt spend it all in one go (I hope). No one pays Iv's wages, except Iv... There is no "big boss" thats suddenly gonna go "Well lads, we got a problem, so you aren't getting paid this month".

The money from strategy first is only the takings from American shops. Iv still sells Uplink online, worldwide. Yes, they will be in hard times, but Chris said that they will finish this game and release it. I believe them. Which is why I bought a poster.

And numb nuts is a saying. It refers to your stupidity.

Yup, only america. And considering that America is a big country, the money IV got off it were just as big. I hoped you could get to that on your own. Again, you amaze me with your imbecility.

As for what IV said, I don't really trust them. Of course, they would like to finish the game, you would like to play it, so they said the thing everyone wanted to hear. I don't know if you distinguish the facts from the promises - for you seem not to. Just because IV said that, it doesn't mean it will be possible - and what should they do if that would be true? Sit down and say "sorry guys, we're stopping darwinia at this moment and going back to window cleaning, bye!"? No, they would try to make the game.

As an uplink fan, you should know that trust is a weakness...
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:31 pm

Have some fuckin' faith, man, I mean, If IV were about to go under, I seriously hope they would open a last ditch attempt at raising some cash - there have to be ways, even asking for donations off the community. Every little helps.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:42 pm

Strategy First was not the sole US distributor. They handled the actual in-store boxes and the stuff for Amazon.com and the like, but many (maybe even most) Americans ordered the game directly from IV and so that money still went to IV. :)
chemman
level4
level4

Postby chemman » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:42 pm

Don't think that I want IV to break up, no damn it, never! I hope no one does. Another indie company dying because a bunch of idiots didn't pay up - that's simply sad. I don't know however if IV will live this though. Consider that those people need to eat, have a house, rent some place to program - and the money from Uplink is not growing - online sales really can't compensate for the lost money in America.

Even if IV had a very small chance at finishing the game, I believe they would take it. And I hope this was not the case.

But really, IV can't live on donations. Nor on posters. If we had, let's say, 10 000 posters, that would be a considerable push. But 1000?
chemman
level4
level4

Postby chemman » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:43 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Strategy First was not the sole US distributor. They handled the actual in-store boxes and the stuff for Amazon.com and the like, but many (maybe even most) Americans ordered the game directly from IV and so that money still went to IV.

Do you have anything to prove that?
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:49 pm

jim_the_coder wrote:But I don't get under what grounds the company/owners/whatever should be protected from being sued.
Bankruptcy laws. Declaring yourself bancrupt is a very last-ditch thing to do. I can ruin your life. No-one (with half a brain) would give you credit.

chemman wrote:Don't think that I want IV to break up, no damn it, never! I hope no one does. Another indie company dying because a bunch of idiots didn't pay up - that's simply sad. I don't know however if IV will live this though. Consider that those people need to eat, have a house, rent some place to program - and the money from Uplink is not growing - online sales really can't compensate for the lost money in America.

Even if IV had a very small chance at finishing the game, I believe they would take it. And I hope this was not the case.

But really, IV can't live on donations. Nor on posters. If we had, let's say, 10 000 posters, that would be a considerable push. But 1000?
I think you are missing the point slightly. IV haven't really "lost" money, they just have lots of money owed to them.

There is a differency to spending lots of money and not getting anything back, to being owed money, and not getting it.

chemman wrote:
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Strategy First was not the sole US distributor. They handled the actual in-store boxes and the stuff for Amazon.com and the like, but many (maybe even most) Americans ordered the game directly from IV and so that money still went to IV.

Do you have anything to prove that?

Because uplink had been selling globally since 1st October 2001, and stragety first started selling uplink: hacker elite on 12th March 2003. I would have to err on the side of stews on this one.

Return to “Introversion News”