Defcon confirmed for Steam

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:24 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
Chris wrote:Who knows where ratings come from, but i'd guess its related to the encouragement of the callous murder of millions of innocent civilians on a genocidal scale never before seen by man.

Hmm. So GTA, where there's a good chance you can kill a few hundred people gets a M, while Defcon, where you kill *millions* gets a 7+? I'm as confused as you are ;)

NeoThermic

Guess its because GTA is more graphic in its violence. Walk up to a random guy, blow his head of with a shotgun, steal his money, dance around him a bit then steal a car and run him over a few times just for good measure. DEFCON doesn't show you the individual people you kill, just the total number of deaths, so even though you kill many more than you'ed ever be able to in GTA you never see the victims.

Guess the old Stalin quote still aplies: "When you kill one person it’s a tragedy, when you kill ten thousand people it a statistic" :wink:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:27 pm

The box art is wonderful. I think that when Defcon comes out, I am going to have to get the IV complete set (as all I have right now are the ASW versions -- no boxes). Then, in the spring when I (hopefully) by a new Intel Mac, I can even play them!

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:32 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
Chris wrote:Who knows where ratings come from, but i'd guess its related to the encouragement of the callous murder of millions of innocent civilians on a genocidal scale never before seen by man.

Hmm. So GTA, where there's a good chance you can kill a few hundred people gets a M, while Defcon, where you kill *millions* gets a 7+? I'm as confused as you are ;)

NeoThermic

Don't worry, they'll rerate it when the "Hot Rocket" mod comes out. ;D
Zarkow
level4
level4

Postby Zarkow » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:35 pm

"Is that a rocket in your pocket or are you just..oh..it was a rocket."
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:39 pm

Chris wrote:
martin wrote:
trickfred wrote:
martin wrote:but now do I buy defcon in its uber box or off steam where I can play instantly?! both...

Chris wrote:We will also be selling Defcon from our Introversion website, as both a digital download and a boxed copy. Our price will be £10 for the digital download only, and £12.50 for the digital download with boxed copy (sent to you by post). Both options give you immediate access to the game via secure download.
#

yes, but will that be a steam download? I suppose it dosen't matter if it isn't although I quite like steam as a way to access all my games.

It's really quite simple.
Either you buy the Steam version for $14.95 from SteamPowered.com.
Or you buy our version for £10 from our site. We will offer everyone who buys an immediate download of our version.
For an extra £2.50 we will also ship you a boxed copy in the post. The extra cost covers our costs of manufacturing and delivery, and means we can maintain a low price of £10 for those who just want the game.

wow, a personal reply from god... ahem, chris.

Isn't $14.95 slightly cheaper?

anyways, I'll buy from the store anyway - I'm wanting that cool box and manual.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:42 pm

It's just under £8.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:49 pm

so slightly cheaper, but meh.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:14 pm

martin wrote:wow, a personal reply from god... ahem, chris.

Congratulations, now even Chris knows you can't read. :lol:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:38 pm

trickfred wrote:
martin wrote:wow, a personal reply from god... ahem, chris.

Congratulations, now even Chris knows you can't read. :lol:

*golf clap*

xander
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:37 pm

What about copies in stores?

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:09 pm

Babylon5 wrote:What about copies in stores?

You're right, Chris didn't really say either way. I'd assume that if they didn't mention it though, the answer would probably be a 'no', at least a 'no' for now. Maybe it'll be announced later.

If I was in their shoes though, honestly? I might even bother wasting my time with it in the UK shops - we saw how well Darwinia (didn't) do. They'll make enough money from Steam and distribution from their site that they might not even need to go down that avenue again. Darwinia hasn't really been out long enough in North America to make a judgement call on how well the boxed version's doing here.

Addendum: Local game stores here have gone from having a whole/partial wall covered with PC games to 2 or 3 small shelves of PC games, generally only carrying several 'A'-list titles, and special ordering any others. It appears they make more money from console games, so they're slowly phasing out PC games. It'll be a sad day when that happens, but it might just encourage more companies to jump onto Steam or sign up with/create similar services, enabling us to never have to leave our PC to get games for it again. :D

(In that event, I should replace my computer chair with a StairMaster or something... :? )
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:16 pm

Damn.

Anyone want to buy me a copy over PayPal?

trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:21 pm

Babylon5 wrote:Damn.

I just might, when preorders start. (Have they started yet?)

PM me, we'll talk about it.

(Or, you could always send them a money order, I believe they'd still honour it)

Addendum: My kid has become my new spell checker, lodged on my shoulder like a pirate's parrot, pointing out every single typo I make. Take my advice - if you have kids, don't teach them how to read! :lol: )
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:26 pm

trickfred wrote:
Babylon5 wrote:Damn.

I just might, when preorders start. (Have they started yet?)

PM me, we'll talk about it.

(Or, you could always send them a money order, I believe they'd still honour it)

Addendum: My kid has become my new spell checker, lodged on my shoulder like a pirate's parrot, pointing out every single typo I make. Take my advice - if you have kids, don't teach them how to read! :lol: )

Well, if they do turn out to take money orders, then that'll suit me fine.

Avenged
level2
level2

Postby Avenged » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:38 pm

Im going to complain about your pricing!!! Thats FAR too cheap! Im amazed. Great game, great price. Im guessing your still gonna make a nice tidy little profit? :-)

Return to “Introversion News”