Uplink now available via Steam

The forum with all your Introversion News!
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Uplink now available via Steam

Postby John » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:10 pm

We are proud to announce the availability of Uplink on Steam.

It is currently available by itself for $9.95, or with Darwinia for $19.95. Find it here!

This version of Uplink has many bug fixes and improvements. For those of you who have already bought the game, an official patch will soon be available (there is already a testing one available, see the Uplink forums). We will keep that up to date with the Steam fixes. In due course, we will also be updating everyone who bought the Developer CD with the latest code.

A big thank you to:
  • Francois 'frenchfrog' Gagne for many fixes and quality improvements.
  • James Lawton for fixes and introducing the XCrashReports bug reporting system to Uplink which made many of these improvements possible.
  • All the beta testers for testing the game through its many releases.
  • All existing Uplink players who have tested the testing-patches.
  • Everyone who submitted bug reports, comments, suggestions.
  • The Introversion Community, without whose support this would not have been possible.
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:18 pm

Awesome.
However, will mods work with it?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:44 pm

Theme, gateway and LAN mod should work.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:50 pm

Awesome! Does this mean a Mac patch is on the way?
Just gotta keep y'all honet, right? ;)
xander
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:25 pm

xander wrote:Awesome! Does this mean a Mac patch is on the way?
xander

I was wondering that, too, so I asked some people on the Ambrosia IRC, but they said it's different etc, so no, no Mac patch.

I also don't like that the Mac ports of Uplink and Darwinia are still >$20!!! :shock: :evil: :evil:
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:42 pm

Yay! This is great news. :)

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:13 am

Babylon5 wrote:Yay! This is great news. :)

Now that's just mean. Celebrating that us mac users don't get a patch.
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:52 am

TheSquire wrote:
xander wrote:Awesome! Does this mean a Mac patch is on the way?
xander

I was wondering that, too, so I asked some people on the Ambrosia IRC, but they said it's different etc, so no, no Mac patch.

I also don't like that the Mac ports of Uplink and Darwinia are still >$20!!! :shock: :evil: :evil:

Get a pc :-P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:32 pm

alphager wrote:Get a pc :-P

Hrm... a PC to play IV games. Costs about $750 (at minimum to get a decently specced machine to play Darwinia and Defcon), plus a week or two to get the machine. Oh, plus $20 to get new versions of Uplink and Darwinia. This, compared to waiting another couple of months (though less wait is better!), and paying $20. Choices... choices... choices... I'm not sure what to do! :roll:

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:42 pm

xander wrote:

Hrm... a PC to play IV games. Costs about $750 (at minimum to get a decently specced machine to play Darwinia and Defcon), plus a week or two to get the machine. Oh, plus $20 to get new versions of Uplink and Darwinia. This, compared to waiting another couple of months (though less wait is better!), and paying $20. Choices... choices... choices... I'm not sure what to do! :roll:

xander

Try around $300 USD or less.

I admit, it's a little excessive just for games if you already own a Mac, but people pay more than that for their Xboxen of Circles.

And think of the other software you could run on it too.
la_Rapiere
level1
level1

Postby la_Rapiere » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:11 pm

Man, this kinda sucks.

Just 2 weeks ago, I finally went and purchased Darwinia in the Sci Fi bundle pack for $29... which I assume Introversion only got $10, since it's a triple pack. I own Uplink, but it's the crappy US release that Introversion got no money for, so I would gladly have purchased the $19 Darwinia/Uplink pack instead, giving them all the money they deserved.

Just curious, for those of us that DO own Uplink, is there any way to activate it via Steam? I really like just logging into my account and not having to dig for CDs after I reinstall my OS...

-la Rapiere
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:13 pm

xander wrote:

xander

Yeah, but had you directly investedinto a pc (instead of a mac), you would have saved money ;-)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:22 pm

alphager wrote:Yeah, but had you directly investedinto a pc (instead of a mac), you would have saved money ;-)

You missed my comment about not paying for the Mac, didn't you? Given the choice between a free Mac and a free PC, I would take the Mac any day of the week :) Even if I had paid for the Mac, and had decided to get a PC instead, I would be dealing with Windows on a day-to-day basis, other than at work. The Mac OS alone is worth not buying a PC.

la_Rapiere wrote:Just curious, for those of us that DO own Uplink, is there any way to activate it via Steam? I really like just logging into my account and not having to dig for CDs after I reinstall my OS...

No.

xander
ShepFan
level2
level2

Postby ShepFan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:01 pm

trickfred wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

Try around $300 USD or less.

I admit, it's a little excessive just for games if you already own a Mac, but people pay more than that for their Xboxen of Circles.

And think of the other software you could run on it too.

That's $300 for a closeout, refurbished unit. I would call EMachines an off-brand, but let's just agree it's no Dell. In any case, add another couple hundred for a cheap LCD. And upgrade the graphics card for any serious gaming, there's another hundred or two (or way more!). Kind of a lot for yesterday's technology, IMHO.
ShepFan
level2
level2

Postby ShepFan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:07 pm

alphager wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

Yeah, but had you directly investedinto a pc (instead of a mac), you would have saved money ;-)

Forbes Magazine and the Associated Press don't agree:

A low-end Mac Pro will cost you $2,124 compared with $3,071 for a nearly identically configured Dell Precision Workstation 490. The Mac is about $947 cheaper - and the gap widens when you start piling on options such as more memory, faster processors and bigger hard drives.

-ShepFan

Return to “Introversion News”