Interview on Guardian Gamesblog

The forum with all your Introversion News!
vic
level2
level2

Interview on Guardian Gamesblog

Postby vic » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:45 am

Another good interview slot for Introversion. Tom Arundel talks about DEFCON, the pros and cons of a small dev team and the new opportunities presented by Xbox Live Arcade...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archi ... n_fun.html
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:54 am

The Guardian? Ooo...

Hay look it's Vic =O

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Avenged
level2
level2

Postby Avenged » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:10 am

Good Interview that.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:34 pm

Nice!
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
holdmykidney
level1
level1

Postby holdmykidney » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:02 pm

Excellent.

It's nice to see that Steam has given them such a reliable revenue stream.

Do you reckon they're planning to third-party an X-Box Live Arcade port of Darwinia and DEFCON like they did with Ambrosia?
Steeds
level2
level2

Postby Steeds » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:02 pm

Looks like someones changed their tune since a certain speech:

Have you been courted by any large publishers, especially since the IGF awards? Although you made it pretty clear on the night how you felt about the mainstream industry, you must have had a few big players trying to tap you up...
I should clarify that we have no problems at all working with publishers, and we have a lot of deals with existing publishers, hopefully the IGF awards will continue to make that even more possible! The key for us is maintaining our creative control, owning our own IP's and not accepting funding from publishers before a game is completed because that automatically diminishes your freedom. Our games are always finished before signing a deal with a publisher, so effectively they're acting primarily in advertising and distribution roles which allow us to maintain commercial integrity.
"If god had meant us not to wear clothes, we would be born naked...."
Leetkey for all your firefox L3375p34k requirements
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Steeds wrote:Looks like someones changed their tune since a certain speech:

Have you been courted by any large publishers, especially since the IGF awards? Although you made it pretty clear on the night how you felt about the mainstream industry, you must have had a few big players trying to tap you up...
I should clarify that we have no problems at all working with publishers, and we have a lot of deals with existing publishers, hopefully the IGF awards will continue to make that even more possible! The key for us is maintaining our creative control, owning our own IP's and not accepting funding from publishers before a game is completed because that automatically diminishes your freedom. Our games are always finished before signing a deal with a publisher, so effectively they're acting primarily in advertising and distribution roles which allow us to maintain commercial integrity.

Not exactly, no. Mark's speach was reffering to publishers getting into the act before the game was finished (as they invariably, and in Mark's own words, "fuck[ing] with our game"). IV state here that they only ever talk to publishers once they actually have a finished product, so the publisher can't say 'Oh, I want the game to actually be like this', as then IV will just find a diffrent publisher.

IV haven't changed any tunes :)

NeoThermic
vic
level2
level2

Postby vic » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:02 pm

Yes neothermic thats exactly it. I wanted to clarify that we're not closed to working with publishers - after all they make the continuation of Introversion possible by allowing us to get our games into territories that would never be possible off our own back. But at the same time, as Mark stressed at IGF we want publishers to remain strictly in the role of publishers and not that of creative directors.

Vic :)
Steeds
level2
level2

Postby Steeds » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:06 pm

Oh, good. I like their music just the way it is :lol: :roll:

Publishers usually pay in advance for patches for some games (as far as i know), so how would that work for introversion? Would they "bite the bullet" to fix patches because they dont account for it or budget ahead in their big payment for new features and updates?

Return to “Introversion News”