Defcon due September 2006

The forum with all your Introversion News!
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:34 pm

I'm pondering why he thinks that his age matters for a release party...

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:36 pm

NeoThermic wrote:I'm pondering why he thinks that his age matters for a release party...

NeoThermic

Maybe he wants to legally drink from the obligatory bottle of Absynth?

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:42 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:I'm pondering why he thinks that his age matters for a release party...

NeoThermic

xander

Now, unless my understanding of UK law is flawed, you're allowed to drink in the privacy of a home. To further that, if you're 17, you're very much legal to drink at a party...

Thats assuming one can stand the taste of Absinthe ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:21 am

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:

NeoThermic

xander

Now, unless my understanding of UK law is flawed, you're allowed to drink in the privacy of a home. To further that, if you're 17, you're very much legal to drink at a party...

NeoThermic

Wow. I want to live in the UK. Here, the drinking age is 21. In most states, minors (those under 21) may drink in the privacy of their own homes, if their parents are present. They may not drink at anyone else's house, even if their parents are present. Some states are even more restricitive. The fact that the laws are sparsely enforced doesn't change the fact of the law.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:27 am

xander wrote:Wow. I want to live in the UK. Here, the drinking age is 21. In most states, minors (those under 21) may drink in the privacy of their own homes, if their parents are present. They may not drink at anyone else's house, even if their parents are present. Some states are even more restricitive. The fact that the laws are sparsely enforced doesn't change the fact of the law.

xander

In the UK the drinking age is 18 (but so is the driving age, something the Americans do better on in most states). If a property is licenced, 16 and 17 year olds are allowed a drink if there is someone who is 18 years or older supervising them. There doesn't appear to be many laws for unlicenced properties (houes and parties), but the general known concensus is drink in your own or other's homes is up to a parental figure present.

NeoThermic
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:21 am

NeoThermic wrote:In the UK the drinking age is 18 (but so is the driving age, something the Americans do better on in most states).

Actually, the legal driving age in the UK is 17. Although if you want to ride a moped you can legally do so at the age of 16.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:41 am

NeoThermic wrote:Thats assuming one can stand the taste of Absinthe ;)

Yum yum.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:18 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Now, unless my understanding of UK law is flawed, you're allowed to drink in the privacy of a home. To further that, if you're 17, you're very much legal to drink at a party...

NeoThermic
Only if you're at least five years old can you drink at home.
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:19 pm

Pretty sure there isn't a legal drinking age here in Denmark :X You can't buy alcohol before you're, I think it's, 18 though.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:45 pm

Montyphy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:In the UK the drinking age is 18 (but so is the driving age, something the Americans do better on in most states).

Actually, the legal driving age in the UK is 17. Although if you want to ride a moped you can legally do so at the age of 16.

If you wish to be that pedantic, you can drive a car at 16 if you've got a disabled licence...

NeoThermic
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:12 pm

NeoThermic wrote:If you wish to be that pedantic, you can drive a car at 16 if you've got a disabled licence...

Stating common knowledge in order to correct you is not exactly pedantic. However, your zealous use of a dictionary and Google are rather superfluous :P

NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:36 pm

Montyphy wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:If you wish to be that pedantic, you can drive a car at 16 if you've got a disabled licence...

Stating common knowledge in order to correct you is not exactly pedantic. However, your zealous use of a dictionary and Google are rather superfluous :P

I did not use a dictionary, and why google? I know this fact because I had the chance to obtain a licence at 16 due to my dyslexia and dyspraxia, however, I declined on the grounds that a car would cost too much to own and the councel wouldn't pay for said costs unless it was proven that I required a car.

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:48 pm

Heh. I went to high school in Iowa, where I got a school permit (it allowed me to drive back and forth to school) at the age of 14, and a license at 15 and 6 months. :P

xander
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Haah... Americans.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:19 pm

NeoThermic wrote:and why google?

Not many people would know the details you stated unless they were 'getting Disability Living Allowance at the higher rate' and since I was unaware your disabilities put you into that category it was safer to assume you had Googled the details. Obviously my assumption was wrong :P
Last edited by Montyphy on Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Introversion News”