Welcome to our new forums!

The forum with all your Introversion News!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:50 pm

As long as the sub-forums for each game are still viewable by themself, then people can just bookmark the forums for the games they like and wouldn't even have to visit the other ones (see the Ubi Soft example above).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:19 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:As long as the sub-forums for each game are still viewable by themself, then people can just bookmark the forums for the games they like and wouldn't even have to visit the other ones (see the Ubi Soft example above).

Just so long as the "View new posts" link applies only to the specific forum. I want to know what is going on with Darwinia. I don't want to have to wade through new Uplink posts to get to it.

xander
Puzzlemaker
level2
level2

Postby Puzzlemaker » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:06 pm

What about post count? Can you merge those also?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 pm

Puzzlemaker wrote:What about post count? Can you merge those also?

We kept those seperate for a reason.

Why is everyone so up in arms about the post count? Its just a number people! :P

NeoThermic
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:09 am

NeoThermic wrote:
Puzzlemaker wrote:What about post count? Can you merge those also?

We kept those seperate for a reason.

Why is everyone so up in arms about the post count? Its just a number people! :P

NeoThermic

So is your age/salary/length of certain appendages. :P I'm sure you care about at least one of them!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:14 am

The major problem with the seperate post counts is that it is a decent metric of judging people you don't recognise. I do think it would nice to have both the overall post count of a person displayed along side their post count for whatever game the particular section is part of. Now that there is sure to be more merging of Darwinia and Uplink people (with Defcon to come along shortly) it would be nice for people in the Introversion forums to have some idea how active a member the poster is. As it stands everyone looks like a newbie which is a bit strange.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:26 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:The major problem with the seperate post counts is that it is a decent metric of judging people you don't recognise. I do think it would nice to have both the overall post count of a person displayed along side their post count for whatever game the particular section is part of. Now that there is sure to be more merging of Darwinia and Uplink people (with Defcon to come along shortly) it would be nice for people in the Introversion forums to have some idea how active a member the poster is. As it stands everyone looks like a newbie which is a bit strange.

I'm a newb, and proud of it! :)

Actually, I agree with SBM on this one. While post count is not the best possible metric, we don't have any kind of karma system here. From the perspective of a total newb to the IV forums, NeoThermic and TheMightyDude might have the same weight of authority (no offence, TheMightyDude, if you happen to read this, but you were the newest member to the Darwinia forum when I posted this). Post count is a rough metric for determining what weight to give to the opinions/advice/suggestions/comments of others.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:06 am

Ok, so what do you think should be a solution?

Should we do something ala:

Code: Select all

[username]

[avatar]

IV Posts: [count]
Uplink Posts: [count]
Darwinia Posts: [count]
Defcon Posts: [count]

Or how about:

Code: Select all

[username]

[avatar]

IV Posts: [count]
Total Posts: [sum of all posts]

(the above would only be visible on the IV forums, every other forum would only show your normal postcount)

Or, if neither of those suggestions are decent, can you suggest other ideas?

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:11 am

I like the first solution.

By the way, NeoThermic and John (and all others involved in this transition process), you guys are doing good work. Thanks for all of the effort and donated free time. We appreciate it (well, at least I do).

xander
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:09 am

Yeah, I prefer the first option as well. It's more informative.
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:53 am

First option looks good.

You guys work hard, I hope you're drinking lots of beer as a reward...
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:18 am

There's too much stuff in the first option. I say keep it simple and just have one combined post count.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:04 pm

xyzyxx wrote:I find it annoying that if I visit only one of the forums, all the others will mark all messages as read when I leave. So I have to check everything at once.

That happens to me all the time.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:49 pm

Not that I care, because I'm pretty sure I'll rarely if ever come here in the future, I'd just do overall post count and add a 'my favourite game' field or something better named to represent your game forum of origin, rather than fill the sidebar with numbers. Maybe that's not good enough for some people!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:55 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't clutter the sidebar with more information than you need to. Assumming IV keep producing games there is no way to keep a full list of forum counts in the sidebar. I would just do the overall and the local (Uplink, Darwinia, Defcon). On the all-Introversion sections you could just use the overall postcount by its self. :)
Last edited by Stewsburntmonkey on Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Introversion News”