Non-standard Defcon API Usage. Oh, and it won't compile..

Come in here to talk about your sky-net style world-destroying super bots!

Moderator: Defcon moderators

SeawolfRN
level0

Non-standard Defcon API Usage. Oh, and it won't compile..

Postby SeawolfRN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Evening all,

So despite having played defcon for years, I only just realised that this API existed... So now I've actually started looking into it, and I have some interesting idea.

My plan basically is to use Defcon as an Information Warfare simulator. For those unfamiliar with this; think Stuxnet... (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11388018)

So essentially I plan on using the Defcon bot as an server, so that I can farm out functions to different computer systems and networks. Which will then get compromised (or not, if the defenders are doing their jobs...)

So this is a fabulous plan and all.

But the simplebot won't run on my system. This isn't the Almost-defcon bot. This is the one that literally just posts 'Hello World' every tick...

So I compile fine in Visual Studio 2008, then set it up to debug using Defcon as detailed here http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rb1006/project ... umentation

And then I get this lovely error:
Unhandled exception at 0x763cc41f in Defcon.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: std::length_error at memory location 0x0018bd98..

so If I try and run defcon normally and select the bot, it starts a game, but the bot remains conspicuously silent...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
The opinions expressed here are the posters, and do not represent those of the Royal Navy, the Ministry of Defence, or the wider Defence and Intelligence community.
A8U51V3 M0TH
level3
level3

Postby A8U51V3 M0TH » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:05 pm

MODS - please report this guy to FBI or something hes obviously a terrorist involved in cyber warfare.

:lol:
i know i should not
SeawolfRN
level0

Postby SeawolfRN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Think the other side mate ;)

for some reason my signature isn't showing up...

The opinions expressed here are the posters, and do not represent those of the Royal Navy, the Ministry of Defence, or the wider Defence and Intelligence community.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:53 pm

SeawolfRN wrote:Think the other side mate ;)

for some reason my signature isn't showing up...

Signatures are intentionally disabled on this board. Try this link.

xander
SeawolfRN
level0

Postby SeawolfRN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Ah, fair enough.

Well that's that sorted then. Anyone have any ideas about the error? (To my security focused mind, it almost looks like I could write a buffer overflow exploit for it... Somewhat pointless, as I seem to be the only one with this problem though...)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 pm

What lines of code are you using? As I recall, Defcon doesn't like it when you give it too much to do all at once, even if it's the same order over and over.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “AI Bots”