[Request] Bot Enabled Server Changes

Come in here to talk about your sky-net style world-destroying super bots!

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

[Request] Bot Enabled Server Changes

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:07 pm

So, had two specs last night on at the same time and while on the catBot (a.k.a. rolfBot) server, we realized that *if and only if the Host has it in Debug mode with no bot loaded can the client joining load his/her own Bot. Then, and only then should the Host Bot be loaded in order for two bots to be in the same game (vs one Host Bot and ~ Player/s). This needs to be changed if ever Bots could be used as often as we'd like. I.e., via a dedcon while the host of the server isn't around.

I realize the Bot version is still beta, which may be the reason 1.51 - 1.57 is not compatible with 1.43, but this should be changed. How will people (not on the forum) ever realize there are even advanced AI servers (non-compatible servers drop to the bottom of the list, to be ignored, in the lobby)? The documentation states they are compatible, so what's up with that? Lot's of time and effort will be 'wasted' otherwise.

The whiteboard, oh the whiteboard. One of the biggest changes that should be made is a whiteboard that can be viewed by spectators (both 1.43 and 1.5x). This isn't' the first request, but what's the point of a whiteboard that can do fancy things which nobody can see. Sure sure, you can ally with the bot, but who's gonna do that on a regular basis. In short, the whiteboard should function like the other tool icons. (specs can view orders if they wish)

Montyphy: The whiteboard erase feature
Montyphy: he ability for the bot to read/parse/receive chat

martin: GetShots() method should actually exist
martin: GetUnitData/GetAllUnits to return shot data as one would expect them to

Thank you.
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Aha! It's good to know we can play bots against one another for full bot tournaments :D

I suspect the correct place to make these requests is on the mailing list, since I doubt the developers read this forum :(
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:26 pm

martin wrote:I suspect the correct place to make these requests is on the mailing list, since I doubt the developers read this forum :(
Probably true, but most everybody here probably isn't' even aware there is a mailing list and/or read it. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 pm

While you're at it please request for:

• The whiteboard erase feature
  • The ability for the bot to read/parse/receive chat

:P
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:37 pm

Montyphy wrote:While you're at it please request for:
  • The whiteboard erase feature

/me adds

Montyphy wrote:

I was expecting the bot to be able to do this already through some wild function that I'm not familiar with, partly because Dedcons can.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Can you also add to the list the GetShots method actually existing, and GetUnitData/GetAllUnits to return shot data as one would expect them to?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:40 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Montyphy wrote:

I was expecting the bot to be able to do this already through some wild function that I'm not familiar with, partly because Dedcons can.

I haven't seen a function that seems to do it and I believe Dedcon gets that information from the network packets
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
WaffleMaster
level1
level1

Postby WaffleMaster » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:54 am

Luckily, the version number for Dedcon can be changed in the config. I tried changing this and connected with a bot and it connected to the server fine, but the server kept having errors with authenticating the key with the metaserver, so I couldn't get it to actually play a game. I think the key problem is caused by the version number change, because Dedcon worked just fine with the version number set to 1.43, but the version number 1.57 caused problems. Hopefully, this is an easy fix.
roflamingo
level3
level3

Postby roflamingo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:20 am

Did this get sent to the mailing list? I'm just wondering if anyone could actually ever play the bots...besides the AI.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:29 am

I do plan on sending it through once the other question has been answered.

Regarding playing bots; I plan on pitting my bot against itself once I have all units on the board and soundly defeat the IV CPU.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “AI Bots”