DEFCON AI BOT API

Come in here to talk about your sky-net style world-destroying super bots!

Moderator: Defcon moderators

martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:17 pm

I said that using the GetTarget function on enemy nukes was cheating, not naval nuking.

Nonetheless I probably won't be wasting nukes on ships (Although I *may* :twisted: )
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Nightwatch wrote:Against an experienced player with good evading skills it’s useless unless you catch him off guard or you’re really really good at naval nuking.

... or you're throwing them at somebody that seems have been running into them for the last several weeks. Like me. :roll:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:01 pm

martin wrote:I said that using the GetTarget function on enemy nukes was cheating, not naval nuking.
Ok.
Thats cheating?
An experienced player should be able to predict the target of a naval nuke.
Its not that hard if you get a feeling for it.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:02 pm

I agree. I would also think that just because the bot knows where a nuke is going doesn't mean it'll act appropriately.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:58 pm

Bots are just bots and must have everything they can get as the advantage, uncluding calculating nuke targets.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:28 pm

rus|Mike wrote:Bots are just bots and must have everything they can get as the advantage, uncluding calculating nuke targets.

that's the point. the debate here is:

1) I can possibly use a method that tells me exactly where the nuke is targeted
2) I can observe the path of the nuke, and extrapolate its final target using some clever method I have yet to work out

So, which one? Of course it could all be moot, and it might return nil values unless the unit you pass into the GetTarget() method is your own.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:55 pm

Good extrapolation gives same results as just "looking" where the nuke is flying, no?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Hopefully, but it still feels like cheating :P

I guess I'll use it for now and replace it sometime in the future.
krmgkt58
level0

Postby krmgkt58 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:52 am

I'd say there's a difference between making a bot so as to be effective no matter what (cheating or doing something impossible or unrealistic for most normal human players) and making a bot try to simulate a human playerby handicapping itself on certain actions, the same way it'd be trivial to give an AI in a first-person shooter perfect aim, but to make the game fun the programmer deliberately fudges the aim or delays the reaction time by some random factor. Since the project called for some sort of bot versus bot competition I'd conjecture that good extrapolation isn't really cheap at all.

Am I making sense?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Well I'm imagining Joshua will be for bot vs player games, so I want the bot only to use information available to the player :P
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:01 am

Does anyone know how to pit 2 bots against each other, or even the same bot?
Since you can only add one instance of the bot on one end, and apparently not the other.

I can't seem to get two compiled AI bots in one match...

martin wrote:1) I can possibly use a method that tells me exactly where the nuke is targeted
2) I can observe the path of the nuke, and extrapolate its final target using some clever method I have yet to work out

Calculus is the answer you seek...
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:33 am

LordSturm wrote:Does anyone know how to pit 2 bots against each other, or even the same bot?
Since you can only add one instance of the bot on one end, and apparently not the other.

I can't seem to get two compiled AI bots in one match...

martin wrote:1) I can possibly use a method that tells me exactly where the nuke is targeted

Calculus is the answer you seek...

I remember seeing something about that, I'll have a fiddle and get back to you on it

And I expect it is, probably trigonometry too, and while I'm good at calculus and trig combinations of the two tend to be my downfall, looks like I'll be roping my brother into this :P
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:56 am

I'm sure you could work something general out without resorting to triangles. ( However there is no "floor" level so it is hard to determine the actual targets, as it may pass through a target as it reaches it's destination. )

"Sure you will."

martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:45 pm

That's a good point, although I expect you would be able to tell if incoming nukes were going to pass over you, or onto your cities.
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Heh, anything is possible.

Be sure to tell me if you work out how to pit two bots together, using two clients. ( Me and a friend. )

"Sure you will."

Return to “AI Bots”