Where is the auth key ?

Technical support for all issues relating to Defcon Linux

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Nasher
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Where is the auth key ?

Postby Nasher » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:17 pm

Hello

I own a dedicated linux server I use for hosting games and I just bought a Defcon copy in order to be able to run DEDCON in full mode.

I would like to know where I can find my Defcon key so I can paste it into DEDCON's config file.

My server is a Debian Squeeze 32bits.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:23 pm

In game press escape -> options -> authentication.

No idea where the actual file is stored in Linux but this should work fine.
Nasher
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Postby Nasher » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Well... as the game is intended to run on a dedicated server, I can only grab informations in shell mode :/
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Nasher wrote:Well... as the game is intended to run on a dedicated server, I can only grab informations in shell mode :/


Yes that is indeed a tricky. Sorry I can't help further. Someone will see this and help you though so keep checking.
User avatar
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5
Posts: 4796
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 pm

How did you buy it? The retail version and the desura one store the key in ~/.defcon/authkey. But you have to enter it yourself into the game for the retail version (get it from your purchase page/email confirmation then), it's only done automatically on Desura, and I don't know WHEN it is stored, it may be when you first start the game.
Nasher
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Postby Nasher » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:10 pm

I bought it from the official DEFCON's home page and installed the debian package through dpkg.

I checked ~/.defcon/ but it's empty... and when I try to run the game, I get this error:
Couldn't initialise SDLterminate called without an active exception
Aborted
User avatar
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5
Posts: 4796
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:56 am

If you bought it off the homepage, you should have access to your key there, you should have received it by email, too (check your spam filter) They revamped the store since I last checked it out, and I can't figure out myself how to use it :(
The support page ( http://www.introversion.co.uk/defcon/support/index.html ) even links to it:
http://www.introversion.co.uk/store/
There used to be a login link somewhere there, but I can't find it any more.

So if the above doesn't help, I suggest you contact support.

And yeah, of course DEFCON itself won't run on a pure server, you need an X server active. You can try running it over a remote desktop connection, the easiest way is to use "ssh -Y <yourservername>" from a Unix machine. It may still not work because of missing OpenGL files on the server. Anyway, that is completely pointless because the client would just run in demo mode if you don't feed it the key.
Nasher
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Postby Nasher » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:08 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:If you bought it off the homepage, you should have access to your key there, you should have received it by email, too (check your spam filter) They revamped the store since I last checked it out, and I can't figure out myself how to use it :(
The support page ( http://www.introversion.co.uk/defcon/support/index.html ) even links to it:
http://www.introversion.co.uk/store/
There used to be a login link somewhere there, but I can't find it any more.


There's a PC code, a steam code and download links. Nothing more, nothing less.

bert_the_turtle wrote:And yeah, of course DEFCON itself won't run on a pure server, you need an X server active. You can try running it over a remote desktop connection, the easiest way is to use "ssh -Y <yourservername>" from a Unix machine. It may still not work because of missing OpenGL files on the server.


Sorry to contradict you but it does work, because I think DEDCON is intended to act this way.

bert_the_turtle wrote:Anyway, that is completely pointless because the client would just run in demo mode if you don't feed it the key.


On that point, you're totally right :)
User avatar
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5
Posts: 4796
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:00 am

Nasher wrote:There's a PC code
That would be your authkey, I presume.
Nasher
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Postby Nasher » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:20 pm

Oh, I see. Ok then, thanks !

Return to “Linux Troubleshooting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest