Multi-screen issues (cannot scroll)

Technical support for all issues relating to Defcon Linux

Moderator: Defcon moderators

danielmewes
level0

Multi-screen issues (cannot scroll)

Postby danielmewes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I thought it would we great to play Defcon on dual-screen. The GUI scales nicely to both screens and everything works fine, except for one crucial thing: I cannot scroll to the very top and the bottom of the map, about half of Europe for example is inaccessible (with both keyboard and mouse scrolling)!
When I play Defcon with a resolution of 1680x1050 (= single screen), everything works fine, but with 3360x1050, scrolling up and down stops working.
It seems that Defcon has some hard coded aspect ratio. Is there a way to change that, e.g. by supplying a command line parameter or changing some file?

I am on Ubuntu 8.04, NVIDIA Quadro graphics...

Thank you in advance!
danielmewes
level0

Postby danielmewes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Sorry, I should have searched the board first...
Just found this thread: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=4547
danielmewes
level0

Workaround for dual screen issues

Postby danielmewes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:08 am

Ok, I have some workaround now!

I created a map-mod. Based on the original map data, I resized everything to 65% of the original height and moved the map down by 5% (which turned out to be more work than expected...).
With an aspect ratio of 16:5 (two times 16:10), almost everything is visible now (there might be a very small area at the bottom of the map which is still not visible).

Disadvantages are of course, that a) the world looks somewhat distorted (but I think it's still ok) and b) since it is a mod, it becomes impossible to play online with non-dual screen users or dual-screen users who do not use this mod.
Advantage: Play Defcon in full screen, dual screen mode, without missing parts of the map! :-)

If anyone else wants to do the same for a different aspect ratio, feel free to contact me. I have written a few PHP scripts which automatically transform the coordinates of the cities, coastlines and "internationals" (whatever that is) and can send those to anyone who is interested. You would however still have to adapt ai_markers and travel_nodes more or less manually (scaling them without interpolation looses points, scaling with interpolation makes points get the wrong color codes...).

Download: http://danielmewes.dnsalias.net/~daniel/defcon-wide-mod.zip
To install, just put it into your mods folder and activate the mod from within defcon.

Return to “Linux Troubleshooting”