Graphical installer for Defcon 1.42

Technical support for all issues relating to Defcon Linux

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Jaus
level0

Graphical installer for Defcon 1.42

Postby Jaus » Tue May 29, 2007 12:12 pm

Hi,

I've built a LokiInstaller for the 1.42release of Defcon. You can download it from the Introversionserver:

http://download.introversion.co.uk/defc ... -final.run

MD5SUM: be9912d74765673bab86c679774164ef

This is the final version of the 1.42 installer. If you have any problems with the installer feel free to contact me!

Here is a screenshot of the installer:

Known problems:

LokiSetup doesn't create system menu entries for Xfce users.

Cheers,

Jaus
Last edited by Jaus on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue May 29, 2007 2:00 pm

Works fine on Kubuntu! The thing even found out where I keep my personal scripts and installed the symlink there.

Two minor points:
1. Reading the license requires horizontal scrolling, lots of it. Please add some line breaks :)
2. On Kubuntu, the KDE start menu entry is well hidden in Debian/Games. Probably blamable on the Ubuntu part, they want the top level, non-Debian menu nice and clean. On WindowMaker on the same machine, it's well accessible.
Jaus
level0

Postby Jaus » Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks for your post.

1: The horizontal scrolling depends on your machine and your theme you are using because the installer uses GTK2. On my machines it worked perfectly. But I don't really think that's a big problem. Everybody has to read the license, but as far as I know no one do that ;)

2: That's a problem with LokiSetup and I can't fix it...
sykonet
level0

Postby sykonet » Tue May 29, 2007 6:46 pm

Works fine for me on arch linux x86 using kernel 2.6.21
Thunor
level1
level1

Postby Thunor » Tue May 29, 2007 7:58 pm

Works for me on Zenwalk 3.0 with Xfce (I didn't install menu entries).

I got some error messages in the console :-

woden[Downloads]$ ./defcon-linux-1.42.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Defcon for Linux - Version 1.42..........................................................
/bin/rm: cannot remove directory `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/glibc-2.1/plugins': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/glibc-2.1/setup.gtk': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/glibc-2.1/setup.gtk2': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/glibc-2.1/xsu': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove directory `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/plugins': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/setup': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/uninstall': Permission denied
woden[Downloads]$

Looking in /tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin everything from there on is r-xr-xr-x.
Jaus
level0

Postby Jaus » Wed May 30, 2007 12:42 pm

Thunor wrote:Works for me on Zenwalk 3.0 with Xfce (I didn't install menu entries).

I got some error messages in the console :-

woden[Downloads]$ ./defcon-linux-1.42.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Defcon for Linux - Version 1.42..........................................................
/bin/rm: cannot remove directory `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/glibc-2.1/plugins': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/glibc-2.1/setup.gtk': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/glibc-2.1/setup.gtk2': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/glibc-2.1/xsu': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove directory `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/plugins': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/setup': Permission denied
/bin/rm: cannot remove `/tmp/selfgz40388503/setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/uninstall': Permission denied
woden[Downloads]$

Thanks for the reply... The permirrion bug will be fixed in the final version.

Xfce seems to be not compatible with the LokiSetup-MenuEntry-creator.. Do you have the same problem with other LokiInstaller?
thorstenhirsch
level0

Postby thorstenhirsch » Wed May 30, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi Jaus,

the installer works like a charme on archlinux. Thank you.
Can you add a notice like "You can find your authentication key in the introversion online store" or something like this? I spent 1 hour on finding it! :(

How is the further development planned? Will introversion do that and release new installers together with new patches? Though the loki installer is a 3rd party tool, I think it would have been best for introversion to use it from the beginning on instead of writing an own installation script. What's the point of this installation script at all? In order to play you will need graphics for sure, so IMHO a script based installation is out of time and doesn't make sense for a game.
Thunor
level1
level1

Postby Thunor » Wed May 30, 2007 7:39 pm

Jaus wrote:Xfce seems to be not compatible with the LokiSetup-MenuEntry-creator.. Do you have the same problem with other LokiInstaller?

I didn't choose to install the menu entries, so I didn't test it.

LokiSetup doesn't install Xfce menu entries from my experience but I prefer running via the terminal anyway.

thorstenhirsch: defcon/doc/linux.txt tells you where your authkey is stored.
thorstenhirsch
level0

Postby thorstenhirsch » Wed May 30, 2007 8:06 pm

@Thunor: I was not looking for the place where it's stored. I was looking for the key itself! The manual says on the backside of the manual, but there is no key. In this forum I've found a posting where it says, that the key has been mailed to me - I did not receive any mail, but the shipping notice! And there was no key in this mail. No further information on the original CD, no notice in the case - nothing!

Every illegal copy ships with a cracked executable - so the bad, bad pirates are not being bothered with entering a key. But me as a hones buyer of this game has to waste 1 hour by searching for the posting in this forum which says, that the key is displayed in the online store. To hell with these fucking copy protection keys!
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed May 30, 2007 10:36 pm

thorstenhirch: There's no need to swear. It's rude. Infact, what it took you 1 hour to find, I just found in less than a minute.

-go to http://www.introversion.co.uk

-Click on Support

Try it for yourself. See what happens. I think you will find that your question is answered right there. In case that somehow takes you 1 hour to click on, I'll represent it here, complete with hyperlinks:

The Introversion Website wrote:Keys

Defcon is the only game that currently uses a key to activate it. When you order Defcon you will recieve your key when you get to the download page of the store. You can always retrieve your key by logging into the store here. If you have forgotten your password you can retireve it here.

We know that in the DEFCON manual it says the key is on the back which was a mistake, but when you've printed 100,000 copies, what you going to do?

So how does that take an hour?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu May 31, 2007 12:06 am

thorstenhirsch wrote:Every illegal copy ships with a cracked executable - so the bad, bad pirates are not being bothered with entering a key. But me as a hones buyer of this game has to waste 1 hour by searching for the posting in this forum which says, that the key is displayed in the online store. To hell with these fucking copy protection keys!

What is there to crack? Defcon authenticates to a server that is not in your control, and if Defcon doesn't authenticate to the metaserver, it can't join multiplayer games. Ergo it becomes a pointless reason.

NeoThermic
thorstenhirsch
level0

Postby thorstenhirsch » Thu May 31, 2007 1:26 am

First of all - thank you for your quick reply and sorry for swearing in my previous posting.

It's easy to find the information when you go to the correct website. That's like it's easy to answer a difficult question when you know the answer. ;)

Come on, there's really no information pointing to the introversion support website. The backside of the cd case says "www.everybody-dies.com", the manual says "www.everybody-dies.com" - go there and click on "support" -> no information. The manual says "for all key-related issues go to metaserver.introversion.co.uk" -> no information.

If I had printed 100.000 copies of the manual with the wrong information, I would have put a small notice into the box, which says "visit our support page on www.introversion.co.uk to get your key" ...or something like this.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu May 31, 2007 1:29 am

thorstenhirsch wrote:If I had printed 100.000 copies of the manual with the wrong information, I would have put a small notice into the box, which says "visit our support page on www.introversion.co.uk to get your key" ...or something like this.

The manual and the cover were the same run. A bit late to change 100,000 covers when you've sent the order already eh? :)

NeoThermic
Jaus
level0

Postby Jaus » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:40 pm

Hey,

good news again. I just uploaded the final installer of Defcon for Linux.

I fixed all the bugs you told me.

Check my first post for the new URL.

Cheers,

Jaus
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:09 pm

Why are you creating a symbolic link -named defcon- in /home/user after an installation to /home/user/defcon ?
It's only logical this fails ;)

Return to “Linux Troubleshooting”