Spamming

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Chairman Boom
level1
level1

Spamming

Postby Chairman Boom » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Had my first lesson in being hammered at 3v3 today. It was never going to end well, despite our best efforts (well played Deathbot by the way), but I was told I was let down by spamming in the naval battle. I had a look around the forum, but couldn't find any tips. So. What is spamming, and how do I make it go away?

kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:17 am

I think this is the game you're referring to.

Couple of things. You stuck your silos in the Middle East, just outside of radar range. That's aggressive, but ok. Then you stuck the bulk of your fleet in the Pacific. That's bad. That gives Africa a chance to scout you.

Secondly, you were up against CZA and cumiro in the Pacific. Those guys are no joke. Combined, they're damn near unbeatable. If you're gonna go up against a juggernaut like that, you need bombers up as soon as possible in your naval fight. You simply can never beat CZA or cumiro with just fighters.

Finally, spamming here refers to fighter or (less often) bomber spam. Meaning that the player is just sending wave after wave of planes right at a target in order to overwhelm it. Your best bet is here to get out of the way of spam.
cza
level4
level4

Postby cza » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:39 am

Spam can be very effective (there's a somewhat recent game of R3D beating my ass, maybe three or four months ago, with heavy spam) and has a big luck multiplier, which is why so many people do it. But you don't want to do it to the point where all of your CVs/airbases are emptied. Let's say you did wipe me out; what if my ally then pounced on you with a few bombers? Or had a remnant ninja fleet? You'd be unable to resist. Good instinct to finish me off; you just misread my position and what I had left.

Go find some of Edward's and Baton's games and watch how they do things with little spam.
Chairman Boom
level1
level1

Postby Chairman Boom » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:05 am

Yeah, that's the one.

Our quickly fumbled together plan consisted of trying to overwhelm the Pacific with force, and hoping that Africa wouldn't have the resources to launch an effective response against our silos...
I think using the word "hoping" in our grand strategy was a poor move lol :o/ I don't know how close it came to working, or if it was even a half decent plan to start with, but there's that inexperience again.

I appreciate the tips though, 3v3 is new territory for me, I'm taking lessons from games like this and learning a lot by spectating now, hopefully I'll put up a better fight next time :D

Return to “The Debriefing Room”