Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Chairman Boom
level1
level1

Learning curve...

Postby Chairman Boom » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on here, been playing for a few months now, and browsing the forum every so often.

Anyway, I just wanted to talk about some of the points that were raised in a game I played today; diplo game, with a mix of beginners, very experienced players, and myself, which I consider to be somewhere around intermediate. When you see a player spreading silos all over the place, sending out fleets on random aggressive missions, and openly discussing their tactics, you know you're dealing with a beginner. It's good to know that in time they will learn how to get better at the game and you can see how you have grown yourself from playing the game using tactics(?) like this, to making less suicidal moves.

Thing is, although the transition from Beginner to Intermediate is fairly quick as matter of necessity in order to start winning, the jump from Intermediate to Advanced is something that I'm really struggling with. Going back to the game, playing as SA, I had a newbie as US and Sobi as Afr, who I have played before and never really come close to beating. It was good to see the contrast between the styles of play, because while the rest of the world was busy blowing itself up, I had the new player making occasional aggressive naval moves, launching single nukes and the like, while Afr just sat and waited. While the US was easy enough to deal with, I had most of my naval defenses off the east coast of SA, which were destroyed with an unexpected, coordinated nuke strike from Africa, leaving me completely open. Needless to say, immediate death followed. My subs surfaced at random points just out of radar range from Africa, and were taken out before they could even launch.

The point I'm trying to make is am I missing something, or is the learning curve just something that comes with experience? It's one thing to be able to learn how to lay out your silos and how to recognise where an attack is going to come from etc., but when I see some of the ultra coordinated attacks from the really good players that just leave you defenseless, it just make me appreciate how in depth the strategy in this game really gets.

CB
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Re: Learning curve...

Postby AIRburst95 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Chairman Boom wrote:Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on here, been playing for a few months now, and browsing the forum every so often.

Anyway, I just wanted to talk about some of the points that were raised in a game I played today; diplo game, with a mix of beginners, very experienced players, and myself, which I consider to be somewhere around intermediate. When you see a player spreading silos all over the place, sending out fleets on random aggressive missions, and openly discussing their tactics, you know you're dealing with a beginner. It's good to know that in time they will learn how to get better at the game and you can see how you have grown yourself from playing the game using tactics(?) like this, to making less suicidal moves.

Thing is, although the transition from Beginner to Intermediate is fairly quick as matter of necessity in order to start winning, the jump from Intermediate to Advanced is something that I'm really struggling with. Going back to the game, playing as SA, I had a newbie as US and Sobi as Afr, who I have played before and never really come close to beating. It was good to see the contrast between the styles of play, because while the rest of the world was busy blowing itself up, I had the new player making occasional aggressive naval moves, launching single nukes and the like, while Afr just sat and waited. While the US was easy enough to deal with, I had most of my naval defenses off the east coast of SA, which were destroyed with an unexpected, coordinated nuke strike from Africa, leaving me completely open. Needless to say, immediate death followed. My subs surfaced at random points just out of radar range from Africa, and were taken out before they could even launch.

The point I'm trying to make is am I missing something, or is the learning curve just something that comes with experience? It's one thing to be able to learn how to lay out your silos and how to recognise where an attack is going to come from etc., but when I see some of the ultra coordinated attacks from the really good players that just leave you defenseless, it just make me appreciate how in depth the strategy in this game really gets.

CB

You wont learn advanced play styles from diplomacy. Play some 1v1/2v2 games and learn how to coordinate and defend against strikes while planning attacks. This usually carries over into diplomacy since the idea there is stealth. And If you get the chance, spectate some games, spectating is key to learning new advanced methods.

How to watch recordings ----> http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=8546
Recording involving South America and Africa specifically, watch what R3D does, he is very skilled ----> http://sfcon.demoszenen.de/dcrec/2012-12/R3Ds1v1-2012-12-05_16.32.zip
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi,

Diplo is probably the hardest mode to master. Obviously the metagame is very important here, as you generally want the other players to destroy each other without getting involved.

And therefor its not ideal to learn tactics. I would suggest FFA for its fast opportunity recognition needs, you will learn what targets are worth to go after. And 2v2 and 1v1 for the real naval tactics and defense breaking nuke timing.

And diplo has some tactical specials, as you can attack allies and play with radar sharing, but of course if you play with it, you break the metagame and lose.

But then again, once you got strong tactics, it will give you more options in the Diplo metagame.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:53 pm

1v1s and 2v2s are the way to go. You won't learn anything in Diplo. If you have a generous opponent, you can ask them to give you some instructions on what you could have done better during your game.
Chairman Boom
level1
level1

Postby Chairman Boom » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Hmmm, I see what you're getting at, my 1v1 game is reasonable now, but I think I need to start taking on some more challenging opponents. I've never really spectated many games (well any tbh), but I think that may be the next step to see how the pros do it lol. Still a way to go for me lol, thanks for the tips everyone :)
crispypiglet
level0

Postby crispypiglet » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Hey Boom, Ive played in a few of your games now. Your naval control is very good however your Silo lauches are usually premature, You need to work on that as your hit ratio is low and it means that the enemy has a better chance of nuking ur stuff.

Other than that you are a decent player, If ur playing Diplo try and convince everyone ur a friend as it was made perfectly obvious to me that you were not my ally (your placement of fleets was aggressive)

One last note from me (and im not a pro so take it with a pinch of salt), Your subs leave alot to be desired and you seem to place them in pretty obvious places.

So if u want to play again sometime gimme a shout :D

GG btw
Chairman Boom
level1
level1

Postby Chairman Boom » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Hey Piglet, gg today :)

Yeah, I think that's my biggest problem, not using subs effectively, and until I learn how to do that I dare say winning isn't even possible. Anyhoo, I'll stick at it, thanks for the feedback :)

Return to “The Debriefing Room”