level2
level2

Postby The Reds » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:52 am

Oh... ok thanks bert. :)
Jimbo Jones
level1
level1

Postby Jimbo Jones » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:34 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:If all else fails, you can start the playback from the command line with
dedcon -l <recording name> -c "ServerKey <your key>"

Ok, sorry but I still cant get it working, through Windoze, from the command line or even typing in the details above. Please help.

Here is what happens:

I start dedcon (either from windows or cmd line) and I get the cmd window:

Then I fire up Defcon, find the server playback and connect, but it never conects, all the connections fail:

Does this look familiar at all?

*****************EDIT

Problem was PORT FORWARDING.

I needed to add 5010 into the forwarded ports list on the Linksys router

I am plugged into a Linksys router by LAN cable, which is itself plugged into an old Netcomm router, before it reaches the interweb.

*****************EDIT

Cheers,

Jimbo.
Last edited by Jimbo Jones on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Resetting socket is a definite problem (I think). It appears something is wrong with your network. What? I have no idea. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Resetting socket is a definite problem (I think). It appears something is wrong with your network. What? I have no idea. :P
Yep. The reason usually would be that packets the server sends get blocked on the way to the receiver.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:12 am

sfericz wrote:The problem is the dedcon client running the recording closes as soon as I run it.

Hmm, I must not be doing something right. I'm having the same issue with recordings (not finding key, applying demo limits, seeing demo hosting isn't allowed anymore and shuttingn down dedcon), and have tried various variations of the instructions on page 2, but just can't seem to get it to find the recording. The "ServerKey" bit works just fine and it finds my key. Of course that's useless if I can't point it to the recording correctly. Show me the error of my ways...

Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:15 am

typo:
drec != dcrec :o
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:17 am

Also, try using ./ instead of .\ Not sure if there is any difference.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:17 am

:P

I knew somebody would point out some obscenely obvious flaw in my post. Thanks. :P (it is 2:00 am here and I did just try and "fix" a HeatPump that seems to be stuck in reverse cycle. That is, it's blowing all the cold air out at the unit instead of inside.)
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Zorotama
level5
level5

Re: How To Watch Recordings

Postby Zorotama » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:34 am

Why? wrote:I'm tired of explaining this over and over again, and I'm too lazy to search for an old thread to bump. So here it is, for all those looking to learn the art of Defcon!

How to watch recordings:

1. Go to http://dedcon.net/ and download the latest version of the program.
2. Install Dedcon.
3. Download the recording(s).
4. Open(Double-Click) the recording file(*.drec), which should now have a file association with dedcon. A black text box will pop up with the names of the players, and the pre-game chat log.
5. Leave Dedcon running, and open Defcon. In the server list, you will find a green server called 'playback'. Enter it to watch the recording! Sometimes it doesn't open right away, so just hit refresh until it shows up.

*notes*

--Other people can watch the recording with you, so the spectators in the recording aren't always ghosts from the game!

--You can change the speed of the recording with the /speed command. '/speed 0' is pause. '/speed 5' is half speed. 10 is normal, and 20 is double speed. Anything higher than that will still work, but it won't go any faster than double speed.

--You can find recordings on the following server websites: http://dedcon.homelinux.net/serverlogs/ , http://highlatency.net , http://www.sharewood.us

--I recommend watching games with names from this forum, or from players that are high on the ranking pages. http://dedcon.homelinux.net/ratings/

You can thank bert_the_turtle for writing the Dedcon program, and providing all the 'Dedcon Test' servers. :D
Also big thanks to(MOR) who runs highlatency.net, and Zorotama/Ibizi/cumiro who run sharewood :D

There is also http://www.domorethanyoucan.com for the recordings.. Also big thanks for domorethanyoucan.. without noise like me he did beauty servers. Long life for them..
WaffleMaster
level1
level1

Postby WaffleMaster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:41 am

Kind of late, but if you disconnect from the internet and connect Defcon to the playback server manually Dedcon won't connect to the meta server, so it won't apply the demo limits, which means the recording will start directly from the file with no need for command prompt.
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Postby Barbarossa » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:49 am

Thanks for the "how to" tutorial..

BTW - I'm relatively new player to this game and late comer, I don't know why Sharewood got banned or what its history was nor the reasons, but I do find the recordings to be extremely helpful. It doesn't appear to be a bulk download method and I read on the main site that those recordings will be taken down in about two months. So I downloaded all 7000+ recordings and compressed the 1.85GB package to about 450MB and uploaded it here if anyone else wants it for the future: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GAA2W4NV
Tony2loco
level0

Postby Tony2loco » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:20 pm

I finally did it, had to check the LAN games to find it. I don't know if that was mentioned or maybe I am just slow but I got it, thanks to all.
Igloo White
level0

Postby Igloo White » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:54 am

Hello,

I have a question about watching recordings, it works fine when i watch it on my own but i cant get my playback to go public, i've disabled my firewall n such still no luck, any help?
Wayne40k
level0

dedcon.net domain expired?

Postby Wayne40k » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Hi all,

thanks for the info about how to watch games ... tried to download Dedcon. When I access http://dedcon.net I get:

"NOTICE: This domain name expired on 09/16/2011 and is pending renewal or deletion."

Will the domain be renewed? Looks like it is renewed in whois but does not work:

Updated Date: 17-sep-2011
Creation Date: 16-sep-2007
Expiration Date: 16-sep-2012

Is there any alternative location for a Mac version? Could not find it on the web.

Thanks, wayne
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Debriefing Room”